Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive(in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk(in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept(in 22 reviews)

It was pretty good at times, it was the worst at times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, including a sabbatical every 4 years (you'll need it!). Flexible work hours and work from home policies. Reasonable compensation and a good ESPP program.

ConsFrequent re-orgs mean an endless rotating cast of managers, a few were pretty good - but the recent ones were the very worst managers I have ever encountered. Be careful of ending up on the wrong team. Management by intimidation is tolerated, and quite often the ability to talk a good game is valued over the ability to do good work. Extremely political and you will end up on the losing side if you don't play the game. Definitely an old boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your mid-level managers and ask yourself if they really have the ability to grow and manage teams. Reconsider the "paperless" review system - no paper trail means managers are free to throw their people under the bus to save their own skins when necessary.

A Company with Purpose

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAutodeskers create stellar products that have world impact. Global experience with growth opportunities in and across industries. Intelligent, kind employees who are passionate about innovation. Beautiful offices that are obviously keen to design and green energy.

ConsNothing really to report in the 'Cons' section.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are bigger branding opportunities that showcase al that Autodesk creates.

Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We know we need to spread the word more about our diversity of products/industries.

Innovative company, striving to offer innovative products to help change the world for the better

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMy co-workers are great - smart, always willing to help out no matter how busy they are. Great work/life balance and competitive salary and benefits. Great offices. They seem to care about employee satisfaction.

ConsCONSTANT change - expect a new manager and change in role at least once a year. In my opinion, they don't give programs or initiatives enough time to gain traction before changing again. Middle managers need training. They are people who were good at their jobs and promoted without any training whatsoever. It's not the managers' fault, but the quality is all over the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide consistent management training for anyone who manages other employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits, some great people, too many re-orgs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- ability to work from home
    - paid sabbatical
    - some great people work there
    - large, global company
    - community relations and sustainability focus
    - good health insurance
    - paid time off between Christmas and New Year's

Cons- the quality of middle management isn't great
    - too many re-orgs: expect a high degree of change in roles, managers, teams, and direction
    - job security
    - 12 days of vacation a year

Great HR and OD

Human Resources BP (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSuperb HR department and state of the art HR practices; bright people; relationship based culture so build your relationship and influence skills.

ConsDo not utilize International experience well once one has returned from International assignment

Advice to Senior ManagementUse International experience more

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mar 24, 2014

This is great feedback, I've passed your review on to the global mobility department. Always great to get feedback from long tenure employees.

Pretty great job, but you have to be good at what you do

ProsWork/ life balance is acceptable. Time off is fine. Pay is on par. Overall working for Autodesk is normal. But, you can easily make it extraordinary. Just say what you want and do your job well and you are taken care of. The company has good values and strong roots so you can really be on a branch and not feel like the end is near.

ConsPromotions is always the biggest complaint. It is a company that treats employees well so no one ever really leaves.

Highly dedicated professional environment

Program Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- little in the way of office politics, lots of genuinely good people
    - sabbatical benefit after 4 yrs

Cons- old school Tech company (slow growing, tight budgets)
    - lack of transparency and bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementmove headquarters to San Francisco

Apr 3, 2014

Agreed that office politics are little to none here. More to come in the San Francisco location, we're expanding utilization and potentially space.

Good company to work for and leader in design and 3D feild

ProsAutodesk is a good company to work for, one of top 100 best companies to work for, exciting products, and software.

ConsShort sided management view, continuous cost cutting, and can't hire qualified people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees who are doing the great job, not who you know in your circle of close friends. CEO just cashed out 830K stocks and they claim not enough money to compensate employees who worked really hard during the year. RSU are distributed among their circle of trusted friends.

Ehhh...

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Rafael, CA

Prosgood products
    great location
    good community outreach (volunteering, products to schools, etc.)

Consgood-old-boy network churns thru skills....
    poor data quality/use of data in decision making

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the shuffle/reorgs (1 per year every year without kpi/measurement for change)

Fantastic,fabulous, mind blowing,mind blasting…

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people, Highly experienced, Good work, Best work life balance, Enormous pay and some really good perks for good performers. As a summer intern, learnt a lot from my intern project.

ConsNo many young people in the office, career growth doesn't look good as many experienced people have not moved into managerial positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to start working on home grown softwares by hiring young people rather than acquisitions which obviously costs a lot of money.

Work Locations are spread out wide within the country and has resulted in performance hit.

Free food or concessional food is a great idea to motivate employees and as well as exact more productivity.

Mar 24, 2014

Thanks for spending the time to share your experience. We want more young and excited employees so spread the word.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!