Autodesk Reviews

4.0
Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work/Life flexibility is not be confused with work/life balance (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not as good as it could be (in 14 reviews)

• Poor job done by senior management to motivate employee base and create real momentum around business changes (in 22 reviews)

1. Great company - Needs to overcome constraints as it scales

Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Culture Very human, personable culture. What this means in practice is, if you are trying to get stuff done, there is an open door policy and *for the most part* senior folk don't tend think or act in a hierarchical way (there are always some though). For my role this meant getting executive buy in wasn't difficult. Work environment Autodesk is one of the few companies who have managed to truly integrate the culture, meaning and philosophy of their brand and what they stand for, into the facilities and work environment. All of the primary offices are beautifully conceived. The workplace environment is well thought out, promoting open working, hot design with ample call booth and meeting rooms to hop into. The San Francisco (1 Market) office is probably one of the best offices in the world of any company. Compensation Pretty competitive for the most part. Lagging some areas in enterprise sales reps vs the market. The people See "Culture" above. Great people at Autodesk with very long tenure. Vision "The internet of things" means this is Autodesk's time.

Cons

There really aren't many cons with Autodesk. I loved my time there. There's some things I think the company needs to do (see below).

Advice to Management

Marketing / Socialising the vision Most of the market outside of Autodesk's immediate product competitors don't really know much about the company, which is a bit of an issue as the company is on an exciting trajectory. "The future of making things" needs to be linked up with The internet of things and how we are all using devices with multiple sensors (think Fitbit, Apple Watch, Phones, Nest etc) which all plays to Autodesk. The external view drives market perception and Autodesk needs to do a better job otherwise this is in conflict to its growth plans. This is essentially a marketing issue (branding) vs an employer brand issue. The employer brand should shine in the halo of the corporate brand. Look forwards, not back The upside of long tenure, is you you have people who are vastly experienced and trusted. The constraining factor is often, when bold and brave (but deliberate) decisions need to be made, these same people "can" get stuck looking in the rear view mirror. "We won't do it because we never did it like that". This will constrain the thinking, growth and people. My advice would be to continue promoting internal talent (Autodesk is GREAT at this) but bring in more external leaders to drive innovative thinking.

No advancement on my end of the food chain

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Absolute market leader in my field of work, good reputation with customers

Cons

In almost 9 years in the company I was presented with 0 possibilities to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Openness and most of all honesty. Encourage creativity and let the rule book be the rule book every now and then.

RSS Feed </> Embed