Autodesk

Updated January 30, 2015
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice environment
    lots of interactions and company lunches

Cons

dependent on a lot of people

Very good company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Very intelligent upper management that is aggressively in tune with market conditions and how it impacts the company. It has some very pro employee benefits and policies

Cons

Its a large company and you can very easily become a nobody. That is demotivating for most people

Company was great, would highly recommend!

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, everyone was supportive and encouraged me to learn what I didn't know. If I had input, despite being a new member, I was always heard and sometimes encouraged to provide new input that may not have been noticed before. It was a very collaborative environment. Great company to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Everyone is pretty much a contractor and therefore barrier of entry into the company become both a pro and a con. Easier for exposure, but difficult for full time career.

I would advise management to invest more in their employees by deciding quicker who deserves full time and who should get cut loose.

You Say Golden Handcuff Like It's a Bad Thing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

If you work for Autodesk, you will be well taken care of. The pay is good, the people you work with are fascinating, and the perks are many. Work/life balance depends on your manager, but overall, there seems to be an effort to help people balance their work for their own situation. Every four years, you are eligible for a six-week sabbatical. Besides that, you get Christmas Eve through New Years Day off so you can focus on spending times with your loved ones. Working during vacations, sabbaticals, and the week of rest is generally frowned upon. Work from home is allowed.

One of the coolest things about working with Autodesk is that you are empowering the people who will change the world. That's really cool when you think about it.

Cons

Autodesk is huge, so it may take some time to find the information (or person) you are looking for. If you are self-motivated, you'll find what you are looking for. There are politics, sure, but if you have more than two people, you'll have politics.

Some people check out once they walk in the office, which can be disheartening to see. This has a lot to do with their managers, and again, is part of human nature. That doesn't have to be your story.

Celebrate employee successes and be their biggest advocate. Stay transparent with successes and failures.

Wolves in sheeps clothing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk (more than 5 years)

Pros

They hire hard-working, highly intelligent and dedicated employees in a global company.

Great benefits, nice life/work and opportunities to volunteer hours.

Cons

Management, often floundering and directionless, drunk on the "Cool Aid".

Poor development. Little/no chance to advance or segue into new role.

You go through the motions of being "Nice"...but in reality we were treated poorly; no advancement, over-worked and "razor-sharp focus" resulted in narrow-mindedness.

Great company but avoid IT dept if you are a Bharatiya

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Autodesk is doing well on innovative front and has a great benefits package! Office facilities are good and general environment is friendly.

Cons

There is a significant hidden bias against Bharatiya people in IT. 33% of the full-timers in IT (a.k.a EIS) are from Bharat. Full-timers are treated very poorly for management opportunities, promotions, general rewards, bonus and stock grants. There is not even one Bharatiya in top IT management and only one in next layer out of fifteen people. Overall, IT department is under-performing in Autodesk as it is significantly led by non-technical leaders (some are openly referred to as B***t kings internally). This is leading to much fewer opportunities for growth which are also not being given on merit.

Work Culture

Current Employee - Data Center Engineer in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Data Center Engineer in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its good to be a part a such a great company

Cons

Its been 2 months with the company. So no issue that I came across.

One of the fine management team we have in Autodesk

I worked at Autodesk as a Senior Software Engineer from 1996 to 2010

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Highly successful, solid company, over 30 years in business. Salaries, bonuses and vacation time are fair and at market levels. 6 week paid sabbatical every 4 years is a great benefit and motivation to stay on long-term. Internal opportunities for career growth are good also. There is a solid development and IT infrastructure and a well disciplined development process in place. You will be working alongside talented and dedicated coworkers in a vibrant working environment. Autodesk products are world class and widely adopted worldwide. The location at One Market is great and if you live in Marin County there are offices there as well.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the years were unnerving and adversely impacted morale. Release schedules can be stressful, but that comes with the territory, for the most part.

Great work/life balance and lots of innovation!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great people who are very collaborative
    -Office space in SF is amazing and the perk of being able to use the workshop at Pier 9 is a major plus!
    -The emphasis on maintaining a good work/life balance is really nice
    -The company is doing so many innovate things which makes Autodesk a really exciting place to work!

Cons

-Sometimes things move a bit slower than I would like
    -Would like better company-wide events

Create greater opportunities for people invest time into projects that aren't directly related to their work, but would benefit Autodesk as a whole.

I look forward to Mondays.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The warmth of the people and my team. Such an approachable and casual vibe. All mixed in with the awesomeness of Autodesk's products, services, and name. You not only survive (whether it'd be a generous compensation or courteous benefits), but also thrive along.

Cons

Occasionally free food here and there, but not all the time. It'd be nice to at least have free snacks in stock.

And although I understand hiring contract workers is prominent, it'd be nice to convert them ASAP! Especially those who love it here and want to keep on contributing.

Virtual reality/online meetings are convenient, but strange at the same time. Most of my teammates are all over the place, so it's understandable. I guess it takes some time to get used to.

Just keep on learning from your employees, as they are learning from you.