Autodesk

Updated August 26, 2014

3.8

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Autodesk has great products, a talented workforce, good benefits, and takes a progressive stance on work/life balance

Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work/life balance stands out from most other companies I've worked for (or interviewed with). Flexible hours and the ability to work from home makes life a lot more fulfilling. Autodesk is quite laid back for a tech company, yet they're on the vanguard of many leading-edge technologies. This proves that you don't have to run a high-strung organization (with accompanying burn-out/turnover) in order to succeed in the industries that Autodesk services.

Cons

Autodesk is working to become a more agile company. That said, its management structure is still rather conventional at its core. Agile methods have been introduced (and have seen some success) within the development organizations, but the PMO leaders are still having trouble getting out of the waterfall (when and what will you deliver?) mindset.

Management (at all levels) needs to keep one thing in mind: your job should be to remove impediments and let your workforce thrive.

A creativity-fostering community can be found at Pier 9

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The overwhelming wealth of knowledge that can be tapped into at Pier 9 (literally anything you want to know, you can find someone who has some extensive knowledge on it). The zany work culture. Open CAD nights (informal after-hours software workshops led by the developers themselves). Sabbaticals. Access to wood shop, metal shop and 3D printshop (the ability to make virtually anything). People's collective general interest in what you're working on.

Cons

Never had to deal with leadership politics, but it doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be.

Great experience

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waltham, MA

I worked at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great innovative work culture.
    Employees are helpful.
    Great employee development resources.

Cons

Differentiating contingent workforce and interns with full time employees.

Reduce number of teleconference meetings

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Professional Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Work-Life Balance.
    People are flexible
    Encouragement to take decisions independently
    Nice rapport between employees
    Good Work Ethic
    Opportunities to work with global teams.

Cons

Certain Workflows are slow.
    Few Internal Systems are archaic.
    Fragmentation with respect to developer environments used by individual developers.

Free Lunch could be provided to everyone.
    Collaborative , face -to-face mode of working could happen a bit more.

Best Empolyer

Former Employee - Intern Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual working environment
    Good compensation
    Kind manager and employees

Cons

San Francisco is not warm in summer, if that counts

fun, positive and collaborative atmosphere, great place to spend as a summer intern

Current Employee - Marketing Operations(ACG)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Operations(ACG) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I spent 10 weeks Jun-Aug 2014 interning at Autodesk int he San Francisco-Pier 9 office between the 1st 2nd year of my MBA program. I was the Marketing Operations Intern in the Autodesk Consumer Group. I really enjoyed working with the marketing team as they took the time to train me and bring me up to speed with the team, marketing campaigns and anything else that was relevant to my job. I was included in everything work-related and social by the team and the atmosphere was very much collaborative in the sense the my successes and failures were not disparate from the team's success and failures - everyone one was vested in my summer project and wanted the best possible outcome. Overall, the culture was just fantastic - people were also relaxed and very reasonable about everything - there was a focus on being productive and results-oriented as opposed to clocking hours. Great pay for the summer along with a reasonable relocation stipend as well - can't complain. Pier 9 was a fantastic location - the workshop provide many opportunities to stimulate my creative side, which was highly encouraged by the team even though it wasn't directly related to my summer projects.

Cons

I don't have major cons here. As an MBA intern, I saw many of my peers at other tech companies in the Bay Area receive either a generous housing/relocation allowance or the option to stay in corporate housing. Housing is so tricky for the summer in the Bay Area that it would be great to see Autodesk provide housing instead of a relocation stipend. The group I worked in was a little disorganized from a functional standpoint but it was directly a function of the group/teams being all less than 4 years old and growing rapidly - but everything is headed in the right direction so it's really not a con either. It was also be nice to have the pantries and kitchens be stocked with snacks instead of vending machines but that would be an awesome perk, really not a con either.

Keep up the great work. It is the most transparent company I have every worked for and I hope it never changes.

Fun and collaborative workplace

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I am a summer intern at Autodesk. Interns get all the special treatment. The projects assigned are important and of business value to the company. The intern showcase presentation is a great opportunity to present to the board.
    Great chance to explore the city of SF

Cons

10 weeks is too short!

Invaluable work experience

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, awesome manager and coworkers, competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

No cons for working at Autodesk

One of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very diverse company.
    Employees are extremely friendly.
    Team working skill is the number one skill in this company.

Cons

I liked to have more events that bring employees together like Design Night.

I really liked working at Pier 9 because employees are happy and very collaborative. I think Autodesk managers should spread the Pier 9 atmosphere in other locations.

Helpful people, hardcore programming

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Autodesk as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I worked as a software development intern with them for a summer. My internship was the highest paying job I've had to date; granted I am currently a grad student so maybe that's not saying much. While there I was doing more advanced programming than I've ever done before, so that was a good learning experience. In addition, the full time employees around me were always more than willing to help when I needed it. They have great culture of helping each other out and working together.

Cons

People working on the same development teams are often working at different locations, across the GLOBE. This requires a lot conference call style meetings that can be difficult to schedule due to time zone issues or else long email chains.

Don't spread the company too thin.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!