Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Well positioned and strong company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone is treated with respect and dignity, and you are encouraged to speak up and share your opinion.

ConsLike in any organization Autodesk is no exception when it comes to politics

Autodesk

ProsGood compensation. flexible work hours

ConsPolitics among teams may reduce productivity

Product Management

Product Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsInternational Travel, Smart people, professional work environment

ConsToo many changes, HR has room for improvement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice company to work for

Creative Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOne month sabbatical after a 4 year tenure. Great location at One Market. Opportunity to travel to sales locations. Lots a great training. Also a budget for continuing educational training. Not a lot of turnover. Really great VP level management

ConsI cant find any cons

Advice to Senior Managementreally like the leadership there.

Great learning experience, but growth plateaus

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFriendly people, reasonable work hours. They have goals to improve their products and find a way that let's their consumers more easily obtain and use them. Taking initiative is typically encouraged.

ConsPoor company wide communication. Lack of transparency from management. Too much focus on process and bureaucracy while most times the process is ill defined. Poor talent acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication should be more direct and shouldn't have to flow to multiple channels to get to the right audience. Many times it feels like there are too many chefs in the kitchen which translates to unnecessary micromanagement and ultimately less productivity.

Politics and weak leadership.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people everywhere and the products are amazing. Benefits like sabbatical are unheard of in many large organizations. Leaders in AEC which opens the door to executives. Cloud vision promising but will take time. Carl Bass is a CEO tech geek who really appreciates and values our cool technology. Stock soaring and a great ride for those of us in the ESPP plan another great benefit of working here.

ConsGood old boys network in senior leadership that is old school. Example we are micromanaged to a set of weekly activity and call metrics more appropriate for point products versus selling true value based solution selling. Chaotic and stressful environment full of immature managers who have advanced due to relationships and who spend time bad mouthing each other across divisions. Looks bad to those of us in the ranks. One word sums it up "politics"

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat people are leaving because of office politics. Pay attention.

Behind the curve

ProsGood people to work with. Good benefits

ConsExecutive management appear to be mis-aligned, very difficult to get projects approved or financed, constant change is more like constant swirl.

Great company, EXCEPT FINANCE (FP&A)

ProsCompany wide:
    -work/life balance
    -competitive pay
    -intelligent people
    -exciting space and business model transition

ConsMostly FP&A, but not limited to it...
    -inexperienced management (many are green)
    -incompetence (many without finance background and poor systems knowledge)
    -environment not conducive to growth
    -very high turnover
    -condescending attitude
    -too many useless finance directors

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to work with employees, instead of degrading them and expecting them to follow suit. There is a cycle of toxicity passed down from finance directors and no company should have that. It's obvious that the FP&A director drove the CFO out.

Autodesk has a great foundation and has the vision. It's just a matter of improving certain pockets that have poor management.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, cool product, great benefits

ConsI don't remember any...really, it really is a great place to work

Great company

Finance Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative. Great exposure. Open communication. Great support on career development

ConsLack of change management. All changes are great but often turn into firedrill. No planning system. All planning and analysis are manual

Advice to Senior ManagementManage changes better. Consider to get some 6 sigma certified expert to help process improvement. Get a FP&A system in place to support analysis and decision making

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!