Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros:
  • "No discrimination, great work life balance as well as compensation and benefits"
    in 59 reviews
  • "work with competent, smart people; good pay; good benefits"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low leadership skills in senior management (VP and up)"
    in 18 reviews
  • "In some areas there is work life balance, but it all depends on who you work for"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay, good work-life balance, good location.

ConsYou context switch onto different projects frequently, so you wont be able to specialize into being an expert in a given area. You are on a one year release cycle, expect to work on features only to have them scoped out later.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back beer bash's. Minimize re-branding company divisions so frequently.

Good Company doing Good Work

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart people. Low office politics. Leadership is smart and caring overall. Feels like high integrity place, focused on the right things: having the right business model, growing the business, making customers successful and creating a compelling culture and work environment for employees. Vision: helping people imagine, design and create a better world.

ConsLike many companies that are engineering based, whether you get the right resources and support is dependent upon which group you work in. If you're in a product group, you will likely get more; support area, a lot less. The CEO is smart and knows the business, but he also has a brusque no-nonsense and often unnecessarily "rough around the edges" style that can be intimidating and not invite people to give open feedback. This can contribute to an "Emperor wearing no clothes" situation where even senior leaders don't challenge the CEO. Anytime you have that dynamic, you are shortchanging the culture, the best ideas and people's ability to really do their best.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more senior leaders from outside the company who can stand up to the CEO. Get the CEO to modify his leadership style to listen more and invite differing views, be more respectful. Promote/hire more women in senior roles (male dominated leadership team creates limited views and re-enforces old world approaches that are rapidly becoming outdated. Loosen up compensation budgets so people make more than 2-3% a year in merit increases.

Autodesk is overall a great place to work.

Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe best thing about Autodesk is our customers. I am amazed every day by what they create with our tools.

ConsToo many re-orgs. They are disruptive to morale and productivity.

A Company with Purpose

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for less than a year

ProsAutodeskers create stellar products that have world impact. Global experience with growth opportunities in and across industries. Intelligent, kind employees who are passionate about innovation. Beautiful offices that are obviously keen to design and green energy.

ConsNothing really to report in the 'Cons' section.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are bigger branding opportunities that showcase al that Autodesk creates.

Flag Review

Autodesk Talent Brand and Social Media Manager responded to this review

Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We know we need to spread the word more about our diversity of products/industries.

Love Autodesk

Public Relations (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros-values a work/life balance
-highly innovative
-generous benefits
-highly recommended

ConsNothing specific, I'm happy here.

5 1/2 Really Great Years & Counting at Autodesk

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAutodesk software is used to create truly amazing things from the products we use, the building we inhabit, the roads we drive on and the 3D entertainment we watch and play. I love getting to work on interesting projects with smart people, and I've had the opportunity to lead a large team and take on more responsibility each year. The great thing about Autodesk is that hard work and good results are rewarded with more resources to scale those results, not simply more work. This is a real contrast to larger tech companies who are constantly cost cutting. Another thing I really like is that no matter what function I interact with in the company from finance, legal, marketing, engineering, IT, HR etc., people tend to be really good and fun to work with on the whole. It's refreshing when marketing and legal can actually get along! There are also awesome benefits for U.S. employees like a 6-week paid sabbatical every 4 years. That sabbatical is a huge retention factor for me. The company also supports volunteering during work hours for up to 4 hours per month, which allows me to be involved volunteering in my children's classroom.

ConsConsensus driven decision-making can be a challenge to adjust to for employees coming from other organizations that have more top-down decision making.

Working at Autodesk has been one of the best experiences of my career.

Human Resources Department (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorking at Autodesk gives me the opportunity to work on new and exciting platforms and software. Management offers project opportunities to everyone on the team to help us become more well rounded professionals. Open communication by managers and team outings make me feel supported by the company. There is a cafeteria and a gym on site!

ConsI am a contingent worker and my department doesn't have the budget to bring me on full time. Although most managers want their contingent employees to stay, there is little choice and they continue to extend contracts. One woman in my department has been on contract for 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding more benefits to contingent workers, who make up a significant portion of employees here, would be nice. Commute/ transportation discounts, or increase in hourly pay would help make up for the fact that we have to pay for benefits (medical, dental, etc.) and retirement contributions out of pocket. Especially due to the fact that some departments do not have budget to bring us on full time, they must keep extending our contracts.

Embed in the Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of bright people, solid compensation.

ConsSan Rafael is pretty isolated. Also, I have never worked in a company where the interpersonal relationships were so critical to success. It is a Con if you are not able to be seen to be on the team with the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is doing well. I think it would do better if decisions were based more on data and analytics than relationships.

Pleasant place to work, but limited career development opportunities.

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBase salary is ok, but RSUs and bonus really add up after a couple of years. People are generally pleasant to work with. Cool technology and exciting business model transition.

ConsImpossible to get promoted, especially within ISM. If you want to make director, better off going elsewhere. vacation policy sucks, difficult to get things done sometimes. lot of people who can say no to something...very few who can say yes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better rotation programs - a lot of middle management will likely leave in the next year or two.

Short-sighted senior management lets dysfunctions continue

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people to work with.
Love the benefits and PTO policies including sabbaticals and Week of Rest
Great products and customers
Most of time I was there, I had great managers who sincerely worked with me as a professional and with concern for my career

ConsThe main thing here is the lack of leadership. So many of the people at the top of the company are old cronies and they let each other slide. The newer senior managers, such as the the CFO, bring a level of professionalism to their teams that the others often lack. This is the core issue behind all the reorgs and other tumult that others have written about here. The real problem they need to face is that they need to get a good portion of the exec staff and some of the others OUT and bring in people who will create an environment that requires the exec staff to make changes in both channel and customer programs that reflect how business is done today. Some incompetent people pretty high up (Directors & above) are kept on by their cronies while dedicated, hard working people are jerked around by changes in strategy.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!

Autodesk Videos

Autodesk – Why Work for Us?

Change is all around us, from a global population boom and spiraling energy costs to worldwide commoditization and climate change. The environment in which we live is rapidly shifting, and that change means opportunity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autodesk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autodesk CEO Carl Bass. All 428 reviews posted anonymously by Autodesk employees.