Autodesk

Updated March 6, 2015
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I like it.

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are awesome at Autodesk. Sabbaticals, healthcare, wellness benefits, auto insurance, etc, all very excellent.
    Work-life balance is pretty good for most people. Some people have jobs that require a lot from them though, so ask the tough questions at your interview.

Cons

Salary isn't as great as people are somehow lead to believe.
    If you get hired at a lower end of the salary range fro your grade level, good luck getting caught up to a higher end of the range.
    You can't skip more than a grade level at a time and must be stepped through, even if you're qualified for a skip.

Great place to be an employee

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and work life balance. Very smart people working in interesting problem areas.

Cons

Politics negatively impact the ability to innovate and provide value to customers. Information from industry experts are frequently discounted by upper management. Very talented people are leaving the company due to issues with upper management.

Focus on Managers that positively lead teams and weed out ones focused on territorialism.

great culture and work/life balance, older school tech company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

really great people and culture, a very welcoming environment
    strong commitment to work/life balance
    good compensation
    beautiful offices

Cons

challenges of a big company, internal systems are not great
    employee ages strongly skew to late 30s - mid-40s, with kids. not necessarily a con but worth noting (and this does have a Pro in the form of work/life balance as shown above)
    travel to HQ in San Rafael, again this may not be a con depending on where you're based

financial analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. Managers keep their door open and arrange lots of info sessions to the interns. Lots of smart people around from whom you can learn a lot. Work from home is available and compensation is competitive in the industry.

Cons

Big company. Could be some miscommunication between the management team. Not so many opportunity to get promote.

Give more opportunity to employee to make an impact

A great collaborative work environment where your coworkers become your friends.

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Autodesk promotes a great culture of teamwork and collaboration to achieve success. Autodesk is also a cool company in that it's software products are used by our customers to imagine, design and build a better world.

Cons

Due to the efforts of consensus building, it take time to come to decisions. The are at times handwringing and posturing where decisions involve certain business risks resulting in unnecessary upward delegation of decision making. This is mainly observed at the lower and mid level management positions. Nevertheless, the deliberative process works well to obtain buy in from all stake holders.

Amazing place to work

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

High qualified professionals with a lot to teach

Cons

Career opportunities are not given for interns

Lack of Leadership in IT

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Good pay, benefits and corporate culture

Cons

IT organization is poorly led and disfunctional

Remove finger pointers and bullies from managment positions.

Great flexibility and work from home options, but very, very hard to get a raise and advance within the company.

Former Employee - Metrics & Reporting Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Metrics & Reporting Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on job role and manager, working from home on occasion or set day of week was feasible. Leaving to take kids to doctor appointments and watch school performances was accepted. Missed work hours could be made up at home in the evenings. Small gym on site with great lunch classes available. Autodesk would reimburse for the gym membership. Peets coffee and nice expresso machines available for free. Company matched donations and 4 hours of volunteer time per month on company time permitted.

Cons

In the 7 years I worked there I never got more than a 1-4% annual raise. Even when I switched job roles, I was told it had to be a lateral move. My most recent immediate manager told me that in order to get a significant raise, you had to quit Autodesk and come back as a new employee in a new role. Then again, this manager was the most horrendous manager I have ever had.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They hire intelligent employees, flexibility to work from home and casual office attire.

Cons

Lack of experienced managers and leaders in the Finance department (FBPs and Directors included) Low employee morale, no real worklife balance for the analysts, high turnover, the finance department continues to struggle to retain good employees.

Take your time in hiring the right managers to lead your team. Do not act on impulse and listen to your staff. Politics is everywhere but the finance department seems to have a lot of bad politics. My suggestion would be for the CFO to review the Finance Management team to see if they truly belong there. This can save the company $ in the long run. Money has been wasted on recruiting great talent only to not be able to retain them due to poor management.

Good company

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good work balance. Interesting and fancy products, and many talent peoples.

Cons

office political.
    slowly career promotion
    layoff people with old skill-set