Autodesk

Updated October 24, 2014
3.8

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 84 reviews)

• Good benefits and very flexible (many work from home) (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 13 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Autodesk FP&A

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

- Flex time / Work from home
    - High compensation
    - Stock
    - Sabbaticals

Cons

- Many incompetent Directors who are not qualified for their roles, and thus are incapable of managing from above and flushing out true under performers. Heck, there are even a couple of Directors who have cozied their ways into job security by having "relationships" with high level executives. Sure, why not.
    - Providing 'business value" to FP&A oftentimes translates to how can I get my business partners to like me?
    - Promotions are based on how brown you can get your nose to be and are not based on merit or achievements.
    - There are a select few individuals who carry the organization, the rest just hop on the bus for a well compensated ride.
    - Very top heavy Finance organization of individuals who have been around for a long time because of the laid back culture. Who doesn't want to get well compensated for not doing much of anything.

Take a microscopic view of your Finance organization, their compensation, and the actual value that they provide to the company and the business, you will be amazed and horrified at the same time.

Good company to get experience in CAD

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is a nice place to work, as long as you are working on the autodesk subscription team. Its in the beautiful north bay so no complains about location.

Cons

Visibility is low due to the size of company. Salary and compensations could be better.

Promote better communication between the business analysts and the technical folks

Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, NH

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive. Good people who clearly like what they do. Benefits are excellent. Progressive company with some brilliant people.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is not as good as it could be. Too many layoffs if you are not in California. As such people tend to "horde" information to make themselves look good and justify their position.

Partner Support

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent unparalleled benefits. 6 weeks paid vacation after 4 years of employment. Very nice. Health benefits are fantastic with affordable premiums and copays. Mine had $50 for emergency room! Hospital was amazed!

Cons

Autodesk does not have a promote from within culture. It's all about politics and strange networking that really doesn't work unless someone has decided that you are on some track for growth. Never got on that track. I did everything I could to excel and grow with the company. But, after several years had to move on.

Hire from within, offer training to employees with transferable skill (ie sales training for support staff, or marketing path for employees who want to try something new etc). Tie in mentor program with actual job opportunity. Once you meet certain requirements, you can apply for an open job etc. Post jobs internally for 2 weeks before going outside.

Great place to work, but not a best in class software development company

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

● The company is filled with smart, enthusiastic people who are really passionate about the products and want to give their best to the customers.
    ● Our customers create interesting, fun things with our products.
    ● Benefits such as 6 week sabbatical every 4 years.

Cons

If your are looking for a best in class software development company with an engineering career path, this is not the company for you. I agree with reviews that the Autodesk mission is to commercialize technology. Employees in the software engineering domains are the blue-collar workers of the company who are expected to work long hours to accommodate 24/7 global product development. There are next to zero executives in the engineering disciplines. The executive levels are on the business side. Even HR has more executives than the teams that build the fabulous Autodesk products.

To attract the best in class engineers to build our products, we need a software development culture that is hip, fun and competitive with all the other great technology companies.

Good place to work.

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

great culture, flexible, innovative, amazing pay

Cons

Nothing in particular, can be more open to employees

Operation Engineer

Current Employee - Operation Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Operation Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Pay Package
    - Employee Benefits are more
    - Work with newer technologies

Cons

- Communication Gaps between US and Other regional offices
    - Very less involvement of Managers (it may be because of their technical background)
    - If you are self motivated then this is the place to work

- Need to work more on Face to face communication
    - Management should Groom subordinates and give them path to move up in ladder

Great company, but needs to get out of its own way and let the people who care about it get their work done.

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good work life balance, good networking opportunities. The benefits can't be beat.

Cons

Hard to move up and promotions are few except at Director level and above. You need to job jump to get anywhere in this company. Hard work will not reward you like job jumping will. This may just be how a company behaves once it becomes this large. I worked for them in the late 90's and early 2000's and it's changed quite a bit. Not as much of a team feeling anymore. Still love the company, but you need to know how the game is played. Hope this helps someone.

See above. Less politics and managing up would help benefit the majority of the employees below you. Let's face it, the employees make the products, not you. :-)

Great work environment and attention to employee needs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Autodesk really goes the extra mile to ensure employees needs are met in terms of work space, meeting rooms, technology provided, food options, and extras. As mentioned in other reviews there is a good work-life balance and there is constant communication/interaction with upper management.

Cons

The challenges may be trying to accomplish certain projects or entrepreneurial initiatives. Autodesk's size has made if difficult to get things done quickly, it suffers from the same problems that other large tech companies go through in trying to evolve and keep pace with smaller start ups while maintaining market share.

Best. Job. Ever.

Current Employee - Employee in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Employee in Novi, MI

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Benefits, culture, diversity, AMAZING place to work!

Cons

The lights are a bit bright to work under, but other than that I have zero complaints.