Autodesk

Updated December 21, 2014
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed my time there. Everyone at this company was extremely nice, very capable and always willing to help.

Former Employee - Marketing Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The People and Facilities are top notch.

Cons

It is a very large company and decisions take a long time.

Autodesk FP&A

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

- Flex time / Work from home
    - High compensation
    - Stock
    - Sabbaticals

Cons

- Many incompetent Directors who are not qualified for their roles, and thus are incapable of managing from above and flushing out true under performers. Heck, there are even a couple of Directors who have cozied their ways into job security by having "relationships" with high level executives. Sure, why not.
    - Providing 'business value" to FP&A oftentimes translates to how can I get my business partners to like me?
    - Promotions are based on how brown you can get your nose to be and are not based on merit or achievements.
    - There are a select few individuals who carry the organization, the rest just hop on the bus for a well compensated ride.
    - Very top heavy Finance organization of individuals who have been around for a long time because of the laid back culture. Who doesn't want to get well compensated for not doing much of anything.

Take a microscopic view of your Finance organization, their compensation, and the actual value that they provide to the company and the business, you will be amazed and horrified at the same time.

Good company to get experience in CAD

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is a nice place to work, as long as you are working on the autodesk subscription team. Its in the beautiful north bay so no complains about location.

Cons

Visibility is low due to the size of company. Salary and compensations could be better.

Promote better communication between the business analysts and the technical folks

Partner Support

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent unparalleled benefits. 6 weeks paid vacation after 4 years of employment. Very nice. Health benefits are fantastic with affordable premiums and copays. Mine had $50 for emergency room! Hospital was amazed!

Cons

Autodesk does not have a promote from within culture. It's all about politics and strange networking that really doesn't work unless someone has decided that you are on some track for growth. Never got on that track. I did everything I could to excel and grow with the company. But, after several years had to move on.

Hire from within, offer training to employees with transferable skill (ie sales training for support staff, or marketing path for employees who want to try something new etc). Tie in mentor program with actual job opportunity. Once you meet certain requirements, you can apply for an open job etc. Post jobs internally for 2 weeks before going outside.

Great place to work, but not a best in class software development company

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

● The company is filled with smart, enthusiastic people who are really passionate about the products and want to give their best to the customers.
    ● Our customers create interesting, fun things with our products.
    ● Benefits such as 6 week sabbatical every 4 years.

Cons

If your are looking for a best in class software development company with an engineering career path, this is not the company for you. I agree with reviews that the Autodesk mission is to commercialize technology. Employees in the software engineering domains are the blue-collar workers of the company who are expected to work long hours to accommodate 24/7 global product development. There are next to zero executives in the engineering disciplines. The executive levels are on the business side. Even HR has more executives than the teams that build the fabulous Autodesk products.

To attract the best in class engineers to build our products, we need a software development culture that is hip, fun and competitive with all the other great technology companies.

Very smart people, but an overwhelming amount of politics that often conflicts with doing right for the customer.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively fluid environment, routinely work at home or at 1 of 2 offices. Opportunity to exchange with very bright co-workers.

Cons

Poor level of motivation due to an atmosphere of profound politics. The customer was often an afterthought to the goal for the quarter. Far, far too many layers of management.

Reduce 1 - 2 layers of management, and work from the customer in.

Good company to work. You will find talented team so enjoy your work if you are workaholic. unlimited sick leave.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in India, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in India, TX

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Policy, Work life balance is great. there would be deadline with short release cycle but not to worry.
    Work is pretty simple as you will always find some patterns in other solution available.

Cons

there are small team so career growth is slow in ladder. sudden changes in name of re-org doesn't justify. few office are small so don't have facility like other similar big companies.

you people are doing good and their decisions always hit market.

Could be a nice place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good pay; casual atmosphere; flexibility of work (i.e. office vs. home) for some jobs

Cons

Mature, sedate, all growth and innovation comes from acquisitions;

Good employee company, lots of politics

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Good benefits and very flexible (many work from home). Compensation is competitive. Steady place to work for an extended time - many employees have been there 5- 10 years.

Cons

More big company politics than you would expect for a company of this size. Highly relationship based structure and indirect communication culture. Training and advancement is driven by the individual with less upper management assistance than I've had in the past.

Human Resources

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor

Pros

I love the culture around the company. They believe in their people. They want them to be the best professional-self. Many roles are extremely flexible. Working from home, in San Francisco, in San Rafael.

Cons

Most of the workers in positions like mine are contractors. No holiday pay. Contingent workers do not participant in company events/meetings like other FTE. Can be made too feel less inferior.

Hire those contingents! They love the company, they want to be apart of the ADSK Family.