Autodesk

Updated October 15, 2014
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 83 reviews)

• Good benefits and very flexible (many work from home) (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning experience, but growth plateaus

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, reasonable work hours. They have goals to improve their products and find a way that let's their consumers more easily obtain and use them. Taking initiative is typically encouraged.

Cons

Poor company wide communication. Lack of transparency from management. Too much focus on process and bureaucracy while most times the process is ill defined. Poor talent acquisition.

Communication should be more direct and shouldn't have to flow to multiple channels to get to the right audience. Many times it feels like there are too many chefs in the kitchen which translates to unnecessary micromanagement and ultimately less productivity.

Politics and weak leadership.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people everywhere and the products are amazing. Benefits like sabbatical are unheard of in many large organizations. Leaders in AEC which opens the door to executives. Cloud vision promising but will take time. Carl Bass is a CEO tech geek who really appreciates and values our cool technology. Stock soaring and a great ride for those of us in the ESPP plan another great benefit of working here.

Cons

Good old boys network in senior leadership that is old school. Example we are micromanaged to a set of weekly activity and call metrics more appropriate for point products versus selling true value based solution selling. Chaotic and stressful environment full of immature managers who have advanced due to relationships and who spend time bad mouthing each other across divisions. Looks bad to those of us in the ranks. One word sums it up "politics"

Great people are leaving because of office politics. Pay attention.

Behind the curve

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Good benefits

Cons

Executive management appear to be mis-aligned, very difficult to get projects approved or financed, constant change is more like constant swirl.

Great company, EXCEPT FINANCE (FP&A)

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Company wide:
    -work/life balance
    -competitive pay
    -intelligent people
    -exciting space and business model transition

Cons

Mostly FP&A, but not limited to it...
    -inexperienced management (many are green)
    -incompetence (many without finance background and poor systems knowledge)
    -environment not conducive to growth
    -very high turnover
    -condescending attitude
    -too many useless finance directors

Learn to work with employees, instead of degrading them and expecting them to follow suit. There is a cycle of toxicity passed down from finance directors and no company should have that. It's obvious that the FP&A director drove the CFO out.

Autodesk has a great foundation and has the vision. It's just a matter of improving certain pockets that have poor management.

Overall good, but each group has its own unique dynamics that can cause much unnecessary strain on the job.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits such as a sabbatical after four years. Really interesting technology. Overall there is a flexible, family friendly work environment, but it is somewhat dependent on the group you are part of. Lots of training classes which are quite helpful, but trying to find time and approval to attend can be difficult

Cons

It can be very political. More than it needs or should be. That causes much stress. Groups are reorganized quite frequently often with good intentions, but the extra strain it causes has an impact on getting work done. As a result of these changes some people are put into managerial positions that they should not be in.

Pay close attention to how and how often groups are reorganized and workers shuffled around. Change is often good, but sometimes too much change is overly disruptive even if it is done to move a company in a promising direction.

Great company

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative. Great exposure. Open communication. Great support on career development

Cons

Lack of change management. All changes are great but often turn into firedrill. No planning system. All planning and analysis are manual

Manage changes better. Consider to get some 6 sigma certified expert to help process improvement. Get a FP&A system in place to support analysis and decision making

Solved interesting problems, but management seemed to have attention deficit.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I did enjoy my work much of the time. Benefits were good, but not industry leading. Flexibility with working remotely or from home.

Cons

My project was a whirlwind. Management would change features/priorities every couple of weeks, but many features I needed to work on took much longer (months), leading to steal situations.

Remaining flexible, agile, and ahead of the competition should be weighed against allowing time for quality features to be implemented.

Dynamic place to work. There's so much going on and so many opportunities to explore new technology.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Great benefits, especially the 6 week sabbatical that employees receive every 4 years.

Cons

There really aren't none, although the company does downsize periodically - guess it's par for the course.

Autodesk Response

Jun 20, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Thanks for the positive review, go team! Refer your friends :)

Great company, depending on your group and management

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with great, enthusiastic people throughout the company. Great products, exciting company to be a part of. Opportunities to work with many different groups and not just in your department.

Cons

Environment really depends on your group. There's a lot of great teams at Autodesk and some toxic sinkholes. Long-term employees (10-20 years) are a cultural benefit but can drag down innovation because "we've always done it this way." Little if any promotion of team members; many managers come from the outside then cycle out after a year or so. Salary/benefits OK, not up to market rates.

Pay attention to your

Innovative

Current Employee - Intern - Analytics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, No pressure, Chilled and hard working people

Cons

None as of now, I am yet to explore more