Autodesk

Updated September 20, 2014
3.8

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Once a place of varied and inspired culture, now moving towards lock-step corporate.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Autodesk full-time

Pros

Working remotely is accepted, though you may lose your desk spot if you do it too much. Many of the people you will work with in the lower rungs of the culture are warm and friendly. Hours are fairly loose, there isn't a lot of judgement around that as long as you get your work done. The products are well established and processes are well defined, so there is stability and predictability around your work. Benefits are very good.

Cons

In the earlier days many people brought their dogs and personal items to work, individuals had offices, there was a very loose dress code, and unique individuality was encouraged. Lately this has been replaced with "open" workspace areas (read fitting more people in less space), a shift towards more corporate khaki/button up culture, and much less individual expression in the office. It seems that the higher positions in this company are becoming more money hungry.

Unfortunately since it's such a large company, they can afford to peg individuals in very specific roles, with little flexibility for learning new skills or branching out. The pay is OK, but don't expect much of an increase year-over-year unless you're a ladder climber who can drown out others and make yourself visible to those a few rungs above you. It doesn't really matter how much work you get done - it's about inflating your image and being seen.

One of the changes in the past few years was relying heavily on offshore teams to get work done for less money. Expect to work with teams overseas who can't use english well enough to write decipherable emails or be understood in late-night conference calls. Your email will be lit up all night long.

Be up front about what type of company this is now, what you expect from employees, and what you are willing to give.

Company with Great Benefits Only

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Review for Autodesk Americas
    -I don't think there is a competitor out there for Autodesk currently, strong company to weather the storms.
    -6 week sabbatical
    -Gives you $300 to use towards gym membership
    -Can bring your dog to work
    -work/life flexible is pretty flexible, but depending on your manager.
    -Overall, the perks are very decent. You cannot really complain about perks at Autodesk.

Cons

-Tons of internal politics, leading to bad middle management. The culture here is, "it's not what you know, it's who you know." I've been around for 8 years and under 5 different managers. I can only vouch for 1 that I can say earn his salary.
    -I witness hiring of new employees and managers, and most of the time, I sit and just shake my head and ask how did they ever get this job. Again, it's who you know.
    -One manager was trying to win a prize on the radio during work and is still employ to this day. It's also sad to know that everyone in the department knows that the best thing she is good at, is ordering food. It's also sad to know that her manager knows this and will not let her go, "a lot of red tape to go through."
    -Another employee has been employed for over 10 years and how she gets her work done is to ask 2-4 different employees to complete her work. She reaps the credit and then complains about those same employees if they did her work incorrectly. And get this, she still asks new temp hire's to train her in systems she has been working on for those past 10 years. Again, her manager knows this as well as the whole department, but she is still here.
    -We have employees here just collecting a good pay check and stocks and of course medical insurance by doing the bare minimum to nearly nothing. They walk their dog 10 times a day. 10 smoke breaks. 10 coffee breaks. 1 hour lunch. 15 minutes legal law breaks for 8 hours of work. Just to name a few. Where do you find the time to put in "work" at your job?
    -You ever seen the movie Office Space where they have the two independent audit guys come ask every employee "What it is do you do here?" If that happens here, you will start seeing better hiring.

I love the company and do recommend you come work here, but expect the politics and dumb employees as well as dumb employees trying to sound smart. The company is doing great because there is no competition, so top executives tend to ignore what's going on below.

Use your annual employee review survey and start a firing process of management. Include questions on the survey such as, Do you think the manager you report to is entitled to his/her position? why/why not?

Give managers the ability to start letting employees go, no "red tape," who do not perform up to standard. Like Zappos, offer those poor performance employees $2-5K to leave. It's a drag on the team, on the dept and on the company. I rather pay the employees a full year of salary and they don't come back rather than keeping them around for the next 10 years.

A fairly good IT Company

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Work life balance, good pay.

Cons

Career Opportunity is pretty limited.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun place to work!

Current Employee - IT Support Specialist  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly, forward-thinking employees who are always willing to help out the next person instead of walking over them. Management listens to our concerns and are quick about researching, developing, and deploying new software and technology to help better our employees productivity. Autodesk has an awesome work life balance and many employees are able to work from home.

Cons

Some employees who are contingents are lost to competitors because Autodesk is either too slow at converting these employees or claim not to have the budget. The company is only as strong as the people you employ.

Get to the offices and speak with the employees that are not part of your management team. Noticing and acknowledging your employees goes a long way. Listen to new ideas and involve everyone in the growing process.

Autodesk Response

May 23, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Great feedback and review. I've passed along your comments to HR management.

Autodesk is a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, dedicated and hard working people make this a great place to work. The company encourages people to move into different roles and take your career in many directions.

Cons

Decisions are made by consensus and this can slow or halt progress at times. Being agile and quick is often challenging.

Great Benefits; Weekly shifts in plan, so get comfortable with change and ambiguity

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a company of very bright engineers with millions of ideas all fighting to get their idea to the top of the corporate funding heap. No shortage of innovation here. There is never enough money to buildout every idea and the extended ecosystem required, so at times the end-to-end customer experience suffers.

Benefits, Work/Life Flexibility, Job Rotations, and a business in the middle of transformation (aka job security)

There are too many benefits to list them all. That is why Autodesk is often in the Top 100 Places to Work. Specifically, two six-week sabbaticals and a fully-covered child birth have been much appreciated.

Work/Life flexibility is not be confused with work/life balance. Autodesk allows most employees to work anywhere and anytime. This includes working on weekends, evenings, or while on vacation. In exchange, you can take an afternoon or day off to attend family events, kids sports, etc. If you get your work done, you 'earn' more flexibility.

Job rotations are often a substitution for promotions at Autodesk. Personally, I've gained a wide range of experience by taking advantage of four rotation opportunities over my nine years here. This approach has helped me to build an understanding of the various impacts of change on our customers, partners, and fellow employees when large change management efforts are introduced.

Transformation to newer subscription business models is generating more challenging work than there are employees to support it. This has created a strong sense of job security for those individuals working on the products, projects, and systems that support the new business models.

Cons

Since there is always a huge funnel of ideas needing prioritization of corporate funding, the leadership team often changes it's mind and strategies, based on new information. This occurs on a weekly basis and can create a sense of wasted cycles for those involved in enablement of management strategies. It has also generated less than ideal customer experiences, as portions of the budget were throw-away work which could not be leveraged to support the latest weekly strategy from leadership; thereby leaving fewer funds for finalization of polished customer experience. For a company trying to transform itself, this is too be expected. This review is just setting expectations for those interested in Autodesk; expect weekly change and be comfortable with ambiguity.

We often find teams that do not get funded, off building skunkworks solutions that lack elements of customer experience polish you'd expect from a $2B company.

Promotions are rare at Autodesk. HR tends to recommend against promotions whenever they are raised by managers. It's not always clear to employees what they need to do to receive a promotion here.

A building is only as strong as the foundation. Your core platform needs to be solid, before building out offerings that sit on top of it. Don't use the same builders and materials that resulted in the foundation we have for our existing models.

Keep sharing your thought leadership communications to the Autodesk staff. This has been big improvement over the past three years.

Software sales / License compliance manager

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager/Training Director/Software Sales  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager/Training Director/Software Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Autodesk full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good company good benifits

Cons

High stress confrontational job, need challanger sales skills

I have worked here for over a decade and have never once wanted to look outside the company for another job!

Current Employee - Industry Marketing Manager  in  San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Industry Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been lucky to have great managers and work with smart, talented people. I love the culture (flexibility, work-life balance, great benefits and you can bring your dog to work!).

Cons

It would be great to see more people move up from inside the company rather than hiring from outside.

Keep up the great work-life balance culture and flexibility! As a single mom this makes EVERYTHING so much easier. It keeps me (and my colleagues) happy, working hard, and super proud to be an Autodesk employee.

Autodesk Response

May 2, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

What a nice review, thanks for sharing!

Great career growth and opportunities for the long term

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Amazing benefits (sabbatical in the US every four years, week off between Xmas and New Year's, employee stock purchase program)
    - Tons of opportunities for working in different locations, on different products, for different groups within the company. I've been able to work in four locations on multiple continents on many products in many groups and always been able to keep growing in every new role.
    - Fantastic customers who produce amazing, amazing things with our products!
    - Our mission is to Help Customers Imagine, Design, and Create a Better World. It's meaningful and is really what we try to do every day!

Cons

- Because of the sabbatical and "week of rest", fewer vacation days throughout a typical year in the US.
    - Like many publicly traded companies, the stock market can directly impact training, hiring, spending so tight times can be more frustrating

I've been in the company over a decade. I love the shift to cloud and consumer and the maker world. Lately there's been great communication about what we're trying to do for customers and why, and I'd just like to see that communication continue!

I really enjoyed the culture, work environment, and the family-work life balance!

I have been working at Autodesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

My Regional Manager is a great manager! He is approachable, understanding when family commitments pop up. He is a true professional and has great managerial and people skills. They should clone my manager and have other managers be mentored by him. I received my first bonus, I was pleased.

Cons

Received my first raise after a year on the job, wasn't too impressed. Training courses were cut from our budget. I am eager to learn more about my current position and excel in more responsibility and leadership roles. I want to evolve faster than the company wants me too. But I understand budgets are tight and the company and industry is changing. I have high hopes!!!!!!! I want my position to be more than a job, but an exciting career.

People are your most important asset. Never forget that. Please treat them well and with dignity, from the bottom to the top. You need to hire more managers like my current manager.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!