Autodesk

Updated March 3, 2015
4.0

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

203 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

great culture and work/life balance, older school tech company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

really great people and culture, a very welcoming environment
    strong commitment to work/life balance
    good compensation
    beautiful offices

Cons

challenges of a big company, internal systems are not great
    employee ages strongly skew to late 30s - mid-40s, with kids. not necessarily a con but worth noting (and this does have a Pro in the form of work/life balance as shown above)
    travel to HQ in San Rafael, again this may not be a con depending on where you're based

financial analyst

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. Managers keep their door open and arrange lots of info sessions to the interns. Lots of smart people around from whom you can learn a lot. Work from home is available and compensation is competitive in the industry.

Cons

Big company. Could be some miscommunication between the management team. Not so many opportunity to get promote.

Give more opportunity to employee to make an impact

Great flexibility and work from home options, but very, very hard to get a raise and advance within the company.

Former Employee - Metrics & Reporting Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Metrics & Reporting Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on job role and manager, working from home on occasion or set day of week was feasible. Leaving to take kids to doctor appointments and watch school performances was accepted. Missed work hours could be made up at home in the evenings. Small gym on site with great lunch classes available. Autodesk would reimburse for the gym membership. Peets coffee and nice expresso machines available for free. Company matched donations and 4 hours of volunteer time per month on company time permitted.

Cons

In the 7 years I worked there I never got more than a 1-4% annual raise. Even when I switched job roles, I was told it had to be a lateral move. My most recent immediate manager told me that in order to get a significant raise, you had to quit Autodesk and come back as a new employee in a new role. Then again, this manager was the most horrendous manager I have ever had.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They hire intelligent employees, flexibility to work from home and casual office attire.

Cons

Lack of experienced managers and leaders in the Finance department (FBPs and Directors included) Low employee morale, no real worklife balance for the analysts, high turnover, the finance department continues to struggle to retain good employees.

Take your time in hiring the right managers to lead your team. Do not act on impulse and listen to your staff. Politics is everywhere but the finance department seems to have a lot of bad politics. My suggestion would be for the CFO to review the Finance Management team to see if they truly belong there. This can save the company $ in the long run. Money has been wasted on recruiting great talent only to not be able to retain them due to poor management.

Wolves in sheeps clothing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk (more than 5 years)

Pros

They hire hard-working, highly intelligent and dedicated employees in a global company.

Great benefits, nice life/work and opportunities to volunteer hours.

Cons

Management, often floundering and directionless, drunk on the "Cool Aid".

Poor development. Little/no chance to advance or segue into new role.

You go through the motions of being "Nice"...but in reality we were treated poorly; no advancement, over-worked and "razor-sharp focus" resulted in narrow-mindedness.

Very good company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Very intelligent upper management that is aggressively in tune with market conditions and how it impacts the company. It has some very pro employee benefits and policies

Cons

Its a large company and you can very easily become a nobody. That is demotivating for most people

Company was great, would highly recommend!

Former Contractor - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, everyone was supportive and encouraged me to learn what I didn't know. If I had input, despite being a new member, I was always heard and sometimes encouraged to provide new input that may not have been noticed before. It was a very collaborative environment. Great company to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Everyone is pretty much a contractor and therefore barrier of entry into the company become both a pro and a con. Easier for exposure, but difficult for full time career.

I would advise management to invest more in their employees by deciding quicker who deserves full time and who should get cut loose.

I worked at Autodesk as a Senior Software Engineer from 1996 to 2010

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Highly successful, solid company, over 30 years in business. Salaries, bonuses and vacation time are fair and at market levels. 6 week paid sabbatical every 4 years is a great benefit and motivation to stay on long-term. Internal opportunities for career growth are good also. There is a solid development and IT infrastructure and a well disciplined development process in place. You will be working alongside talented and dedicated coworkers in a vibrant working environment. Autodesk products are world class and widely adopted worldwide. The location at One Market is great and if you live in Marin County there are offices there as well.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the years were unnerving and adversely impacted morale. Release schedules can be stressful, but that comes with the territory, for the most part.

I look forward to Mondays.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The warmth of the people and my team. Such an approachable and casual vibe. All mixed in with the awesomeness of Autodesk's products, services, and name. You not only survive (whether it'd be a generous compensation or courteous benefits), but also thrive along.

Cons

Occasionally free food here and there, but not all the time. It'd be nice to at least have free snacks in stock.

And although I understand hiring contract workers is prominent, it'd be nice to convert them ASAP! Especially those who love it here and want to keep on contributing.

Virtual reality/online meetings are convenient, but strange at the same time. Most of my teammates are all over the place, so it's understandable. I guess it takes some time to get used to.

Just keep on learning from your employees, as they are learning from you.

Great work/life balance and lots of innovation!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great people who are very collaborative
    -Office space in SF is amazing and the perk of being able to use the workshop at Pier 9 is a major plus!
    -The emphasis on maintaining a good work/life balance is really nice
    -The company is doing so many innovate things which makes Autodesk a really exciting place to work!

Cons

-Sometimes things move a bit slower than I would like
    -Would like better company-wide events

Create greater opportunities for people invest time into projects that aren't directly related to their work, but would benefit Autodesk as a whole.