Autodesk

Autodesk Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive(in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk(in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept(in 22 reviews)

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A wonderful place to work!

Senior Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAutodesk's culture and its people are the best attributes of the company. I spent a long time there, and I had a wonderful run. The benefits are good, and comp plans are competitive. The work is exciting and engaging - especially when you consider how many ways the company's products touch our world. Brilliant technology, great people, good pay and benefits... you can't ask for a lot more if you want to work for a tech company - in the Bay Area or just about anyplace else on the planet!

ConsMiddle management can range from exceptional to inept. Some organizations can be insanely political - in my tenure, I saw this as leader-specific and not an Autodesk corporate standard. That being said, if you get caught in one of these vortices - get out asap. There are thousands of great jobs in the company, and just as many opportunities for success if you're diligent and smart.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't forget how Autodesk became a $2.5B USD company... people, products and customers. Yes, there are many opportunities on the horizon for the "New Autodesk" - but forcing that transition will not benefit the organization in the long run.

Great Culture, Awesome Products, Solid Leadership

Marketing Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTalented team of employees who believe in the company, great office space/location, awesome products you can be proud of, relentless innovators.

ConsPerks are not at par with other tech companies in the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Well positioned and strong company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone is treated with respect and dignity, and you are encouraged to speak up and share your opinion.

ConsLike in any organization Autodesk is no exception when it comes to politics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Finance Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative. Great exposure. Open communication. Great support on career development

ConsLack of change management. All changes are great but often turn into firedrill. No planning system. All planning and analysis are manual

Advice to Senior ManagementManage changes better. Consider to get some 6 sigma certified expert to help process improvement. Get a FP&A system in place to support analysis and decision making

Solved interesting problems, but management seemed to have attention deficit.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI did enjoy my work much of the time. Benefits were good, but not industry leading. Flexibility with working remotely or from home.

ConsMy project was a whirlwind. Management would change features/priorities every couple of weeks, but many features I needed to work on took much longer (months), leading to steal situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemaining flexible, agile, and ahead of the competition should be weighed against allowing time for quality features to be implemented.

Great company, depending on your group and management

Marketing (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI worked with great, enthusiastic people throughout the company. Great products, exciting company to be a part of. Opportunities to work with many different groups and not just in your department.

ConsEnvironment really depends on your group. There's a lot of great teams at Autodesk and some toxic sinkholes. Long-term employees (10-20 years) are a cultural benefit but can drag down innovation because "we've always done it this way." Little if any promotion of team members; many managers come from the outside then cycle out after a year or so. Salary/benefits OK, not up to market rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your

Innovative

Intern - Analytics (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood atmosphere, No pressure, Chilled and hard working people

ConsNone as of now, I am yet to explore more

A great company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAutodesk is a great corporate citizen. The work environment is welcoming and comfortable. Benefits are top notch.

ConsGetting a promotion is not straightforward. You have to stay on your manager if you want to advance your career. Even then, you may not get what you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll core competencies don't to everyone's role. An engineer has far less opportunities to exercise business acumen, or build business plans, and yet, we are still expected to meet a fairly high level of proficiency for these skills.

Stimulating and Challenging

Marketing Contractor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people who are always willing to help in any way they can.
    Lots of variety - work is always evolving
    No two days are ever the same - constantly growing and learning

ConsOpen environment really tough to work in when you do a lot of writing - hard to concentrate

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the department and what their work consists of before mandating open environments for everyone.

A fun place to work!

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsVery friendly, forward-thinking employees who are always willing to help out the next person instead of walking over them. Management listens to our concerns and are quick about researching, developing, and deploying new software and technology to help better our employees productivity. Autodesk has an awesome work life balance and many employees are able to work from home.

ConsSome employees who are contingents are lost to competitors because Autodesk is either too slow at converting these employees or claim not to have the budget. The company is only as strong as the people you employ.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to the offices and speak with the employees that are not part of your management team. Noticing and acknowledging your employees goes a long way. Listen to new ideas and involve everyone in the growing process.

Autodesk Talent Brand and Social Media Manager responded to this review

May 23, 2014

Great feedback and review. I've passed along your comments to HR management.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!