Autodesk

Updated January 30, 2015
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

199 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good company to work for

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk

Pros

Very intelligent upper management that is aggressively in tune with market conditions and how it impacts the company. It has some very pro employee benefits and policies

Cons

Its a large company and you can very easily become a nobody. That is demotivating for most people

Company was great, would highly recommend!

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, everyone was supportive and encouraged me to learn what I didn't know. If I had input, despite being a new member, I was always heard and sometimes encouraged to provide new input that may not have been noticed before. It was a very collaborative environment. Great company to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Everyone is pretty much a contractor and therefore barrier of entry into the company become both a pro and a con. Easier for exposure, but difficult for full time career.

I would advise management to invest more in their employees by deciding quicker who deserves full time and who should get cut loose.

Wolves in sheeps clothing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk (more than 5 years)

Pros

They hire hard-working, highly intelligent and dedicated employees in a global company.

Great benefits, nice life/work and opportunities to volunteer hours.

Cons

Management, often floundering and directionless, drunk on the "Cool Aid".

Poor development. Little/no chance to advance or segue into new role.

You go through the motions of being "Nice"...but in reality we were treated poorly; no advancement, over-worked and "razor-sharp focus" resulted in narrow-mindedness.

I worked at Autodesk as a Senior Software Engineer from 1996 to 2010

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Highly successful, solid company, over 30 years in business. Salaries, bonuses and vacation time are fair and at market levels. 6 week paid sabbatical every 4 years is a great benefit and motivation to stay on long-term. Internal opportunities for career growth are good also. There is a solid development and IT infrastructure and a well disciplined development process in place. You will be working alongside talented and dedicated coworkers in a vibrant working environment. Autodesk products are world class and widely adopted worldwide. The location at One Market is great and if you live in Marin County there are offices there as well.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the years were unnerving and adversely impacted morale. Release schedules can be stressful, but that comes with the territory, for the most part.

I look forward to Mondays.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The warmth of the people and my team. Such an approachable and casual vibe. All mixed in with the awesomeness of Autodesk's products, services, and name. You not only survive (whether it'd be a generous compensation or courteous benefits), but also thrive along.

Cons

Occasionally free food here and there, but not all the time. It'd be nice to at least have free snacks in stock.

And although I understand hiring contract workers is prominent, it'd be nice to convert them ASAP! Especially those who love it here and want to keep on contributing.

Virtual reality/online meetings are convenient, but strange at the same time. Most of my teammates are all over the place, so it's understandable. I guess it takes some time to get used to.

Just keep on learning from your employees, as they are learning from you.

Great work/life balance and lots of innovation!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great people who are very collaborative
    -Office space in SF is amazing and the perk of being able to use the workshop at Pier 9 is a major plus!
    -The emphasis on maintaining a good work/life balance is really nice
    -The company is doing so many innovate things which makes Autodesk a really exciting place to work!

Cons

-Sometimes things move a bit slower than I would like
    -Would like better company-wide events

Create greater opportunities for people invest time into projects that aren't directly related to their work, but would benefit Autodesk as a whole.

Great company, a lot of respect and empowerment.

Current Employee - Junior Business Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Business Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture as a whole. Really tries to make employees learn as much as possible.
    Team members are encouraging
    Pay is Ok

Cons

Although many talented individuals work for the company, hiring decisions is 50% contribution and 50% networking
    Somewhat hiearchichal
    clear distinctions between contractors and full time employee recgonitions

Pay more attention to people who are working hard as contractors

A lot of good engineers, fairly competent middle management, however the company is addicted to restructuring itself

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is excellent, very flexible office culture - people are allowed to work from home when needed, during my tenure there I've not experienced undue pressure and crunch time (other than self-inflicted). Benefits are on par with industry standards

Cons

The company is lagging behind in technology and development methods, there is a lot of inertia in switching to shorter development cycles and applying feedback loops. Due to unusual long tenure for some senior managers and executives they are sometimes seem disconnected from the reality outside of the company and ignore obvious industry trends

Reality check is needed

Great company but beware shifty politicians within the organization.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work for women, especially for a technology company. They do hire a lot of graduates from universities, but there are also opportunities for mid-career applicants. In the corporate office there is a kitchen, gym and dry cleaners. You can bring your dog to work. Compensation is higher than average. You receive a lengthy paid sabbatical after 5 years. The company closes from Christmas to New Years with pay.

Cons

As with most organizations, you are at the mercy of your direct supervisor. If you are unlucky enough to work for someone who advances themselves with political wrangling at the detriment of the employees that report to them, there isn't much transparency to save you from the manipulations and damage to your career path.

There should a feedback process in place to fetter out toxic employees, other than the once a year 360 review.

Autodesk is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, flexibility and a strong focus on employee culture. I believe in the strategic vision and our products. Good people work here.

Cons

No complaints at this point, upward mobility may be an issue.

Keep up the good work.

Autodesk Response

Dec 8, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Thanks for the kind words. Keep it up and spread the word.