Autodesk

Updated October 7, 2014
3.9

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 83 reviews)

• Good benefits and very flexible (many work from home) (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, but needs to get out of its own way and let the people who care about it get their work done.

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good work life balance, good networking opportunities. The benefits can't be beat.

Cons

Hard to move up and promotions are few except at Director level and above. You need to job jump to get anywhere in this company. Hard work will not reward you like job jumping will. This may just be how a company behaves once it becomes this large. I worked for them in the late 90's and early 2000's and it's changed quite a bit. Not as much of a team feeling anymore. Still love the company, but you need to know how the game is played. Hope this helps someone.

See above. Less politics and managing up would help benefit the majority of the employees below you. Let's face it, the employees make the products, not you. :-)

Could be a nice place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good pay; casual atmosphere; flexibility of work (i.e. office vs. home) for some jobs

Cons

Mature, sedate, all growth and innovation comes from acquisitions;

Very smart people, but an overwhelming amount of politics that often conflicts with doing right for the customer.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively fluid environment, routinely work at home or at 1 of 2 offices. Opportunity to exchange with very bright co-workers.

Cons

Poor level of motivation due to an atmosphere of profound politics. The customer was often an afterthought to the goal for the quarter. Far, far too many layers of management.

Reduce 1 - 2 layers of management, and work from the customer in.

Engaging and Informative Internship

Current Employee - Automation Testing Intern in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Testing Intern in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The interns are always given high value projects to work on. The management and their fellow team members are extremely helpful and will always guide a confused intern (which I was for the first two weeks). They are also flexible when it comes to hours and working location, and they provide various seminars to help interns network with employees and executives at the company.

Cons

They could help train the interns a little better before delving right in on the projects.

Mixed review

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people.
    Opportunity to take classes to improve skills.
    Great benefits.
    Good work/life balance

Cons

No development - every man/woman on own
    No loyalty. Cold when evaluating headcount (have had multiple re-org's in my tenure: less than 3 years).
    Have been requested to resign - when position was handed to another (due to personal conflict)

Have development programs in place for ALL positions
    If there is a personal conflict - do ALL you can to find another position within the dept

Autodesk has great products, a talented workforce, good benefits, and takes a progressive stance on work/life balance

Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance stands out from most other companies I've worked for (or interviewed with). Flexible hours and the ability to work from home makes life a lot more fulfilling. Autodesk is quite laid back for a tech company, yet they're on the vanguard of many leading-edge technologies. This proves that you don't have to run a high-strung organization (with accompanying burn-out/turnover) in order to succeed in the industries that Autodesk services.

Cons

Autodesk is working to become a more agile company. That said, its management structure is still rather conventional at its core. Agile methods have been introduced (and have seen some success) within the development organizations, but the PMO leaders are still having trouble getting out of the waterfall (when and what will you deliver?) mindset.

Management (at all levels) needs to keep one thing in mind: your job should be to remove impediments and let your workforce thrive.

Company trying to change but struggling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good people. Positive senior management team. Trying to transform.

Cons

Although positive and energetic, senior management is out of touch with their employees. Trying to innovate like a start-up but stuck with antiquated systems.

Invest in your infrastructure and growing and innovating will come more easily and quickly.

I have worked here for over a decade and have never once wanted to look outside the company for another job!

Current Employee - Industry Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Industry Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been lucky to have great managers and work with smart, talented people. I love the culture (flexibility, work-life balance, great benefits and you can bring your dog to work!).

Cons

It would be great to see more people move up from inside the company rather than hiring from outside.

Keep up the great work-life balance culture and flexibility! As a single mom this makes EVERYTHING so much easier. It keeps me (and my colleagues) happy, working hard, and super proud to be an Autodesk employee.

Autodesk Response

May 2, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

What a nice review, thanks for sharing!

Autodesk means well....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really great and smart people. It is a very respectful environment. Established and good employee programs - benefits etc. Some locations are very cool - Market Street, Pier 9, .Tel Aviv.
    it is an organization that values people, is respectful and wants to succeed.
    Working hard in some orgs to transform the business - feels like pushing a boulder up the hill.
    Some leaders are great and some are so weak it is almost a joke.

Cons

Political, allows people to float through the company, not great at bringing in new talent. CEO team is too engrained in the past - they are invested in the status quo. Not incented to do anything innovative.
    Carl Bass is smart and a great technical leader. They need a true visionary with some energy as CEO.
    No vision in the CTO org....it is more of a playground. How does that translate into important innovation or revenue.
    Pier 9 really?? spend millions and cannot hire new talent because there is not budget?....come on.....

You are living in the most forward thinking technology geographic area in the world. You have an older org....nice and stable and stable. In comparison to your talent rivals you are a bit boring. too policy driven. While it is great you want to be fair to all employees - it is OK if one site is different from another. You can give hot dogs at lunch in Toronto (as an example I don't think they want hot dogs in Toronto) and not give them in Montreal! we are not a socialist nation.
    Reward wildly....give the high performers exceptional and delightful rewards! Make them want to stay and innovate. Quit rewarding mediocre employees.
    AND - change out some Sr leaders....yes you - on the CEO staff and others....shake it up. You brag about going through a transformation with the same leadership team - maybe not a good idea....?
    too concerned about the street and the reaction to our business.....my gosh take a chance! how can you ask your employees to be creative when you are not? Create some energy and have some fun.
    Hire someone to lead engineering - stop the conflicting goals of the divisions.....do you know the angst it causes and the wasted resources???? open your eyes Carl.

Embed in the Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of bright people, solid compensation.

Cons

San Rafael is pretty isolated. Also, I have never worked in a company where the interpersonal relationships were so critical to success. It is a Con if you are not able to be seen to be on the team with the right people.

The company is doing well. I think it would do better if decisions were based more on data and analytics than relationships.