Autodesk

Updated February 23, 2015
4.0

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass
Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive (in 85 reviews)

• Also a fair amount of telecommuting / work from home options depending on the group you're in (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management is not interested in growing teams or promoting from within (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

great culture and work/life balance, older school tech company

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

really great people and culture, a very welcoming environment
    strong commitment to work/life balance
    good compensation
    beautiful offices

Cons

challenges of a big company, internal systems are not great
    employee ages strongly skew to late 30s - mid-40s, with kids. not necessarily a con but worth noting (and this does have a Pro in the form of work/life balance as shown above)
    travel to HQ in San Rafael, again this may not be a con depending on where you're based

Company was great, would highly recommend!

Former Contractor - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Support Specialist in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, everyone was supportive and encouraged me to learn what I didn't know. If I had input, despite being a new member, I was always heard and sometimes encouraged to provide new input that may not have been noticed before. It was a very collaborative environment. Great company to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Everyone is pretty much a contractor and therefore barrier of entry into the company become both a pro and a con. Easier for exposure, but difficult for full time career.

I would advise management to invest more in their employees by deciding quicker who deserves full time and who should get cut loose.

I worked at Autodesk as a Senior Software Engineer from 1996 to 2010

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk

Pros

Highly successful, solid company, over 30 years in business. Salaries, bonuses and vacation time are fair and at market levels. 6 week paid sabbatical every 4 years is a great benefit and motivation to stay on long-term. Internal opportunities for career growth are good also. There is a solid development and IT infrastructure and a well disciplined development process in place. You will be working alongside talented and dedicated coworkers in a vibrant working environment. Autodesk products are world class and widely adopted worldwide. The location at One Market is great and if you live in Marin County there are offices there as well.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the years were unnerving and adversely impacted morale. Release schedules can be stressful, but that comes with the territory, for the most part.

Great company but beware shifty politicians within the organization.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work for women, especially for a technology company. They do hire a lot of graduates from universities, but there are also opportunities for mid-career applicants. In the corporate office there is a kitchen, gym and dry cleaners. You can bring your dog to work. Compensation is higher than average. You receive a lengthy paid sabbatical after 5 years. The company closes from Christmas to New Years with pay.

Cons

As with most organizations, you are at the mercy of your direct supervisor. If you are unlucky enough to work for someone who advances themselves with political wrangling at the detriment of the employees that report to them, there isn't much transparency to save you from the manipulations and damage to your career path.

There should a feedback process in place to fetter out toxic employees, other than the once a year 360 review.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, relaxed culture, not overly political. I love all the dogs in the office on Friday afternoon. The amenities (café, gym) are great!

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Good Job! I love my job!

Autodesk Response

Dec 8, 2014Talent Brand and Social Media Manager

Thumbs up. Spread the word and recruit your friends :).

Good company to get experience in CAD

Former Contractor - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Analyst in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It is a nice place to work, as long as you are working on the autodesk subscription team. Its in the beautiful north bay so no complains about location.

Cons

Visibility is low due to the size of company. Salary and compensations could be better.

Promote better communication between the business analysts and the technical folks

Great company, but needs to get out of its own way and let the people who care about it get their work done.

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at Autodesk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good work life balance, good networking opportunities. The benefits can't be beat.

Cons

Hard to move up and promotions are few except at Director level and above. You need to job jump to get anywhere in this company. Hard work will not reward you like job jumping will. This may just be how a company behaves once it becomes this large. I worked for them in the late 90's and early 2000's and it's changed quite a bit. Not as much of a team feeling anymore. Still love the company, but you need to know how the game is played. Hope this helps someone.

See above. Less politics and managing up would help benefit the majority of the employees below you. Let's face it, the employees make the products, not you. :-)

Very smart people, but an overwhelming amount of politics that often conflicts with doing right for the customer.

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relatively fluid environment, routinely work at home or at 1 of 2 offices. Opportunity to exchange with very bright co-workers.

Cons

Poor level of motivation due to an atmosphere of profound politics. The customer was often an afterthought to the goal for the quarter. Far, far too many layers of management.

Reduce 1 - 2 layers of management, and work from the customer in.

Could be a nice place to work

Current Contractor - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

good pay; casual atmosphere; flexibility of work (i.e. office vs. home) for some jobs

Cons

Mature, sedate, all growth and innovation comes from acquisitions;

Autodesk has great products, a talented workforce, good benefits, and takes a progressive stance on work/life balance

Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Software Engineer in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Autodesk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance stands out from most other companies I've worked for (or interviewed with). Flexible hours and the ability to work from home makes life a lot more fulfilling. Autodesk is quite laid back for a tech company, yet they're on the vanguard of many leading-edge technologies. This proves that you don't have to run a high-strung organization (with accompanying burn-out/turnover) in order to succeed in the industries that Autodesk services.

Cons

Autodesk is working to become a more agile company. That said, its management structure is still rather conventional at its core. Agile methods have been introduced (and have seen some success) within the development organizations, but the PMO leaders are still having trouble getting out of the waterfall (when and what will you deliver?) mindset.

Management (at all levels) needs to keep one thing in mind: your job should be to remove impediments and let your workforce thrive.