Autodesk

www.autodesk.com

Autodesk Reviews in Waltham, MA

Autodesk President, CEO, and Director Carl Bass

Carl Bass

Pros
  • Work life balance is great with remuneration offered being very competitive(in 70 reviews)

• Relatively stable job with good benefits(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say that work/life balance suffers a bit at Autodesk(in 12 reviews)

• Middle management can range from exceptional to inept(in 22 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging work, smart colleagues, adequate compensation & benefits.

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsSmart developers working on some of the more interesting and challenging kinds of applications. Senior management has a good direction for the company. Flexible environment--easy to work from home.

ConsSalary increases and fringe benefits are meager. It doesn't feel like the company is growing. People in the office lack confidence in middle management.

Frustrating at times

Senior Business Manager (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsPassionate people, good products and positioning in marketplace.

Company's focus on cloud/mobile is exciting for the long term but the pendulum has swung too much towards it and current products are being neglected.

Stock program is quite good and can make some extra $ from it.

ConsEndless reorgs. People are moved around without regard for their skill set.

Warning: If you accept a job (other than engineering) be warned that it your job won't be what you are doing 12 months later.

Very very west coast centric. If you aren't in the SF office - you wont have much opportunity to grow.

Too much reliance on "data". The amount of time put together creating dashboards, goal posts etc. is insane. Heavy overlap between different teams doing similar functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to get out of the west coast and mingle with the other teams.

Great place to work

Software QA Analyst (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThey have a very flexible schedule, with ability to work remotely, required vacation time, a fair bit of contact with upper management, and they are constantly acquiring great and exciting companies!

ConsNot many young people- they could do more university grads but great flexibility in the working environment and happy employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with any big company, the upper management could always be more transparent and the process could be less bureaucratic, but I think they are working to be more clear.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of support for new hires

Senior User Experience Designer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsNew hires receive a good relocation package. Fellow employees and managers are very welcoming.

ConsThe commute to the Waltham office is tough -- it's a bit far from public transit...and anything else!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to get back and forth...an employee shuttle to the T. Working parents could use onsite day care. Because of the office location, there are few child care resources nearby.

An illustration in how a few individuals can create so many issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsWork life balance.
    Smart and talented employees who are passionate
    Decent benefits
    Modern Office Space

ConsLeadership
    Years after the Revit acquisition the direction is largely set by a team that came from a long discontinued and dead end product line. They promote and defend each other to the exclusion of all others. Decision making takes forever - everything has to be run up and down the line by sycophantic middle managers who just rubber stamp trying to please their boss. Productivity and moral suffer despite multiple visits from consultants, internal surveys, and huge delivery failures. More than half the time in a week is devoted to bureaucratic overhead and micromanagement. Expect little in the way of tuition re-imbursement, travel, conferences, software while the favored clic blow millions on failed projects outside the companies core competency. The main issues and individuals are never dealt with - more like a government agency than a private company. Talented people have been leaving at a high rate and new hires quickly realize the mistake they made. Still no changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back and re-read some of the consultant reports.
    Pay attention to exit interviews.
    Deal with the obvious problem managers/directors rather than just re-shuffle the same deck.
    Break up the leadership clics.
    Adopt some modern development practices such as Agile.

Great people, great benefits, great experience

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

Pros- Great trust with employees (I worked remotely)
    - unlimited sick days
    - telecommuting benefits (could work from home 2 days a week)
    - Great managers
    - Talented employees

Cons- A layoff a year it seems
    - Many managers as a result

Advice to Senior Management- Don't be so layoff happy!

Peaceful Company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsMost of people are very helpful. There seems to be no pressure on employees.

ConsIt feels some employees stand against changes proposed by the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep creativity awake among employees.

Right change in strategy - poor execution as usual.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

Pros- Major change in strategy laid out clearly.
    - Great pay and stock plan.
    - Vacation and other benefits are so-so but ok.
    - Global reach and usually get to work with very smart people.

Cons- Disastrous execution of reorg.
    - Good growth (>50%) products getting sidelined due to VP's pet project.
    - Weak middle management that does not question upper management decisions or edicts.
    - Very very political. Cannot be honest.
    - Fringe benefits are gone. No more dogs in most offices. No drinks or snacks.
    - Travel is a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementCloud thing is over done.

Employee disengagement is a real problem.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsPretty much every product Autodesk markets is a leader in its field. It is nice to work on a product with a high degree of recognition in the marketplace. Autodesk tends to higher very competent qualified people, which makes interacting with colleagues pleasurable.

ConsThere is little respect shown to the engineers who actually create the products that the company depends on. Senior management is obsessed with quarterly financial results, presumably for the sake of their portfolio of options. In the eight years since Autodesk acquired us, it seems we have been almost continually in cost containment mode.

Autodesk has embraced the notion of offshoring, to the extent that we haven't hired developers locally in years. No new blood translates into absolutely no opportunity for career advancement, at least for engineers. Whatever you job title, you can be pretty certain that will be your job title next year. Advancement seems to depend primarily on how well you play politics and not on actual accomplishments or qualifications.

Autodesk provides little or no opportunity for training or personal development.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecessions do not last forever. Start fixing the systemic problems or engineers will be walking out the door in droves.

Autodesk: A stable but boring place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsAutodesk provides the benefits of a large company: good benefits and a stable work environment.

ConsThere is no clear (or any?) path for career advancement. Of course, like so many companies, the vast majority of new hires have been in Shanghai. With no influx of junior programmers, there is not much opportunity for advancement. At least in our development organization, the hierarchy is very shallow. There are very few managers. Most "senior" software engineers comprise a team of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a software company. The people who actually develop the software should be shown more respect. Experienced developers, many of whom hold PhDs, should get decent offices and not be arranged this silly open environment that looks more appropriate for a call center. The less satisfies creative people are, the less creative they become.

Worked for Autodesk? Contribute to the Community!