Autoliv Reviews

Reset
3.5
Autoliv President, CEO, and Director Jan Carlson
Jan Carlson

Pros
  • The work environment was very collaborative (in 5 reviews)

• nice people, good benefits, and competitive pay (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management likes politics instead of results, which makes everyone taking care of their own back (in 4 reviews)

• This plant closed in 2009 due to difficult times in automotive due to recession (in 3 reviews)

Best place I ever worked

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Columbia City, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Columbia City, IN

I have been working at Autoliv

Pros

It was almost effortless to make a difference. So easy to make improvements. Best, well trained, good natured hourly workforce I've ever encountered. Great systems! This made being a quality engineer easy in comparison to other places. Support from plant manager and other to "fix" problems and make them go away. Corrective actions were the plants highest priority and got fixed in days, not weeks or months.

Cons

Culture among some management of the "cool" club. Quality manager thought he was great, but really was the "weakest link" in the management team. This plant closed in 2009 due to difficult times in automotive due to recession.

Advice to Management

Steering wheel business is now in the war zone of Reynosa, Mexico over Autoliv- Columbia City and Autoliv- Queretaro, Mexico which have both closed or are closing. This move to Reynosa looks good on paper, but seems so non-representative of Autoliv's core values of concern for their employees. I have heard stories of fear for life of engineers and unqualified staff at border plant.

2. I'm learning more and more every day!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brigham City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brigham City, UT

I have been working at Autoliv

Pros

Everyone treats each other with respect, and you can listen to your iPod with one bud in your ear, except when driving a forklift or a Taylor-Dunn. The cafeteria is cheap, healthy and always ready if you forget your lunch.

Cons

The work gets monotonous at times, because your job never changes so your doing the same thing over and over.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the language gets offensive and out-of-control when boredom gets extreme. If there was a way to keep the atmosphere respectful and positive, I would recommend it.

3. Autoliv

Current Employee - Amt in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Amt in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Autoliv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a technically advanced company and the technoogy is amazing. The company is very into lean manufacturing and a lot of the managers truly believe in the "Don't Judge Don't Blame" view of things. The company believes in education and has a great education benefit program if you are wise enought to take advantage of it. I have been with the company a long time and it has taken good care of me.

Cons

There is still some politics just like you find in every company. Some of the managers are egotistical but no more than any other place I have worked. If you want to advance you must have a degree even if you have been with the company for years.

Advice to Management

Keep building current employees which in turn will build a better workplace.

Engineering Intern at Autoliv

Former Employee - Intern in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Intern in Ogden, UT

I worked at Autoliv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, managers are great to work with. A lot of room to experiment and do your own thing. Once you have the trust of your manager, you can really get a lot done in a just a summer. I felt like I was a necessary part of the team when I left.

Cons

It takes some time to get used to not having a clear objective. It also takes some time to get the trust of managers and engineers.

6. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southfield, MI

I worked at Autoliv full-time

Pros

Great quality upper management, project managers, supervisors and engineers. Engineers were recognized & compensated for their contributions. Great team feel in most departments I encountered.

Cons

Benefits started to get more expensive -- went from leading the industry with the best benefits [to attract top employees] to matching the competition. Some elitist was divisive.

Advice to Management

Don't allow the, "We are better than..." mentality to overtake a great environment to work in. Nip it in the bud. I know that there is allot of new business coming in, but don't allow it to cause you to loose sight of your greatest asset -- your employees.

7. Good

Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Algorithm Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Autoliv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GOOD working environment, nice people and nice management. Flexible time schedule

Cons

Cold weather, need to work longer sometimes

8. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Leader
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Leader

I have been working at Autoliv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement, good training programs. Managers are genuine and looking to promote people within the company. Company culture is very good and very strong.

Cons

Very process oriented, too many approvals needed for almost everything. Sometimes it takes a long time to fix something that should be easily fixed.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and develop high potential candidates. The company will need the next round of mid-level managers quickly!

9. Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Autoliv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for. Semi-flexible hours, knowledgeable employees willing to help new hires, and very focused on employee retention and happiness.

Cons

I can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

None

10. Procurement intern performing a buyer role and related responsibilities

I have been working at Autoliv

Pros

Phenomenal work environment, great personal development and mentoring, good visibility with upper management as well as suppliers.

Cons

Need to be a self starter

11. Helpful managers / Opportunities to move around within company

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Tremonton, UT
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Tremonton, UT

I worked at Autoliv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot's of training opportunity - even if not directly related to your position, generous compensation for new engineers, opportunity to move around in the company to find a position you enjoy. Autoliv does not cut corners when it comes to the quality of their product, which helps morale.

Cons

Automotive industry can be demanding at inconvenient times. Sometimes you have to wait your turn to get financial resources to improve equipment. This leads some employees to feel burnt out.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest time in your new employees. I had a very positive experience because my managers were genuinely interested in whether I felt happy and capable in my role.

RSS Feed </> Embed