Automic Software Reviews

Richard Muirhead

So far....overall its good - US Support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Automic Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming to work everyday is fun when you have fantastic/good humor co-worker. Good location, laid back environment, good work & life balance. Company paid for all of the benefits (medical insurance and all that). Automic has a big global presence while still maintaining a small company feel (and not like a giant drone like corporation)

I enjoyed the opportunity to be able to learn/work with the company different products offering. Along with that there is lots of learning opportunity on different technology within the IT field. With fun co-worker and there is always something new to learn within one of the three core product, its never a dull moment in the office.

Cons

There has been lots of people that were let go (but that was to be expected since we just acquired the company Orsyp, and there are probably redundant positions).

The on-boarding/product training need some work, at time it feel as if there is no set outline/procedure.

Support

I have been working at Automic Software full-time

Pros

*Work/life balance is good (unless you get to be on-call); your shift is 6-3 or 8-5
    *The work environment is very enjoyable, with lots of co-worker (in and outside of the support department) who are friendly and are willing you help you.
    *Company does host social outing every so often when oversea manager are over along with a whole company outing + a Christmas outing.
    *Lots of opportunity to learn about different technologies within the IT industry.
    *If you like learning about different aspect of IT, you will never be bored here.

Cons

Your salary consist of a "fix amount" + a "bonus" (about 10%) amount that depended on how well the company does. So you never/rarely get the full amount.... There is no career growth opportunity beside “maybe” a consultant and if something open up in sales or QA/dev if you are really technical. Within Support itself, there is not much on career growth…as support has a tier1 & tier2 system; t2 are there to handle the more technical or problematic issues that the t1 can't solve, but there is no salary difference from being a t1/t2. What you get hire in at is the rate they will keep you at (+annual 1-3% raise or higher if you lucky, but half of that goes into your “bonus”).

On-Call: This is where for 7days/1week out of the month you get to support anyone that have a production system that not working and fix it for them. Your shift for that week, on top of your normal 6am-3pm or 8am-5pm (depending on what team you are on) is from 5PM to 6AM OR 5PM to 10/11 (depending on daylight saving). The only plus side to this is that they do pay you a little extra for this, the amount vary depending on which team you are on.

Communication between different departments is very poor/lacking.

Some senior employee knowledge of the product is less then a 6month new hire; does subpar work and everyone around know it and see it but management does nothing or does not realize this.

Have an actual "real" one on one talk with your employee. Have compensation base on the actual work/responsibility the employee are doing otherwise there is no real point in anyone ever moving to a t2 position or any other role if all it is is essentially more work, more stress and the same pay or less pay then the tier 1 or new hire.

Acquisiton wipeout

I worked at Automic Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

World wide presence. To select staff will encourage geographic movement.

Cons

Bias to European background and youth (that might be just for lower cost)

If continuing to buy companies, learn how to do a professional job of cutting staff. This was worse than being acquired by CA

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More than satisfying experience working at Automic.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Automic Software as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are very nice and understanding. There is a lot of room for personal growth and the company has really good values. The pay rates are fair or more than fair if you are doing your job.

Cons

There were no cons in my opinion.

There could be a little more organization but that is true for every company.

A company with no momentum trying to find it's way.

I worked at Automic Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were some good people. Fun work outings. Free parking. The benefits were decent (401k/match, free soft drinks, health insurance, average PTO)

Cons

This company can't grow organically, so they bought ORSYP. The technology, while reliable and solid, is moldy technology. It's old school on-premise software.

Lot's of management and executive turnover. This should be a red flag to anyone. The company seems to go through one CMO per year.

The internal politics at this company is ridiculous.

No stock options which is crazy for a technology company (at least here in the US).

Focus on innovation and stop trying to be BMC, IBM, or CA

Once a great company, now in shambles all due to greed.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Automic Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Once upon a time, UC4 as it was known, was a fantastic company in almost every sense. From the top down (with some reservations towards the former CEO), everyone was dedicated to building a top tier software company. With almost 25 years of history, they still felt like a start-up but had the experience to be a leader in the marketplace. The compensation is still above-par, but quotas have increased and territories have been cut in half or more. There are also great people in Sales Ops, Dev, Consulting etc. and always willing to help.

Cons

From my perspective, the downward spiral for Automic began with the sale of itself to EQT. There was almost no transparency in the process and later, discovered much of what was told to us were lies. Since then, almost all of Sales Management has left (CEO, President, VP's of Sales and VP of GSO). Most were made scapegoats for the fact that the company could not achieve unrealistic and ridiculous growth numbers. The new CSO has coincidentally, brought in replacements from his former life. To say the least, almost everything has changed, and not in a good way. While most AE's had great years, almost all are miserable and are constantly being hounded on a daily basis on pipeline/forecast calls. Focus on customer support and development has diminished. Almost no one trusts leadership as they are the only ones set to profit on Automic's eventual sale to yet another company or the lofty goal of going public.

Hand out shovels to all the employees. At least give them the tools to bury their own graves.

European-owned company that is a tale of 2 companies (spoiler: the US version sucks)

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Automic Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, consistent amount of training made available, fun outings, and many of the people are great (see below for otherwise).

Cons

I went on mat leave as an EA for two executives and came back to a front desk receptionist role. They blatantly ignored a doctor's note advising I work from home during my pregnancy and threatened me with either taking a part time role with benefits or doing a fulltime role I didn't want with a performance improvement plan. Needless to say - their record with both support staff and pregnant women is terrible.

I loved the two executives I supported and they made my job truly incredible. Unfortunately the mentality towards support staff is as a second class citizen, so I would strongly advise against any role such as EA, office manager, receptionist, etc.

There are a lot of well tenured employees who have entrenched themselves and are in conflict with the new wave of talent (many at senior levels) they have brought in. Turmoil and chaos are two words that immediately come to mind. A hot mess is the one I gravitate towards.

Adopt a more constructive and functional view of support personnel. The attitude of them being interchangeable peons is directly correlated to the massive churn that you see in these roles.

PreSales Engineer

Former Employee - Pre Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Pre Sales Engineer

I worked at Automic Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart People, Nice benefits, good opportunities

Cons

No management, Terrible product, difficult and way behind the competition.

Be focused

I was an executive.

I worked at Automic Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong talent pool. Great market opportunity. Good collaborative and collegial culture. Experienced driven management.

Cons

Competitive market. Technical complexity. Geographical spread business that requires travel.

Keep building and executing the strategic and international vision and plans.

GFun company, great people

I have been working at Automic Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is willing to invest in tools and systems to improve productivity. Management actively seeks and rewards for new ideas and innovation. Fun corporate culture. Truly a global company with daily interaction among colleagues from all time zones. I really enjoy my co-workers.

Cons

Work/life balance needs improvement. With a global workforce comes email requests at all hours of the day and night. It's difficult to unplug as a result.

Worked for Automic Software? Contribute to the Community!