Automic Software

Automic Software Reviews

Updated May 12, 2014

Richard Muirhead

I was an executive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong talent pool. Great market opportunity. Good collaborative and collegial culture. Experienced driven management.

ConsCompetitive market. Technical complexity. Geographical spread business that requires travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building and executing the strategic and international vision and plans.

Once a great company, now in shambles all due to greed.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsOnce upon a time, UC4 as it was known, was a fantastic company in almost every sense. From the top down (with some reservations towards the former CEO), everyone was dedicated to building a top tier software company. With almost 25 years of history, they still felt like a start-up but had the experience to be a leader in the marketplace. The compensation is still above-par, but quotas have increased and territories have been cut in half or more. There are also great people in Sales Ops, Dev, Consulting etc. and always willing to help.

ConsFrom my perspective, the downward spiral for Automic began with the sale of itself to EQT. There was almost no transparency in the process and later, discovered much of what was told to us were lies. Since then, almost all of Sales Management has left (CEO, President, VP's of Sales and VP of GSO). Most were made scapegoats for the fact that the company could not achieve unrealistic and ridiculous growth numbers. The new CSO has coincidentally, brought in replacements from his former life. To say the least, almost everything has changed, and not in a good way. While most AE's had great years, almost all are miserable and are constantly being hounded on a daily basis on pipeline/forecast calls. Focus on customer support and development has diminished. Almost no one trusts leadership as they are the only ones set to profit on Automic's eventual sale to yet another company or the lofty goal of going public.

Advice to Senior ManagementHand out shovels to all the employees. At least give them the tools to bury their own graves.

European-owned company that is a tale of 2 companies (spoiler: the US version sucks)

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat benefits, consistent amount of training made available, fun outings, and many of the people are great (see below for otherwise).

ConsI went on mat leave as an EA for two executives and came back to a front desk receptionist role. They blatantly ignored a doctor's note advising I work from home during my pregnancy and threatened me with either taking a part time role with benefits or doing a fulltime role I didn't want with a performance improvement plan. Needless to say - their record with both support staff and pregnant women is terrible.

I loved the two executives I supported and they made my job truly incredible. Unfortunately the mentality towards support staff is as a second class citizen, so I would strongly advise against any role such as EA, office manager, receptionist, etc.

There are a lot of well tenured employees who have entrenched themselves and are in conflict with the new wave of talent (many at senior levels) they have brought in. Turmoil and chaos are two words that immediately come to mind. A hot mess is the one I gravitate towards.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt a more constructive and functional view of support personnel. The attitude of them being interchangeable peons is directly correlated to the massive churn that you see in these roles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PreSales Engineer

Pre Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSmart People, Nice benefits, good opportunities

ConsNo management, Terrible product, difficult and way behind the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe focused

GFun company, great people

ProsCompany is willing to invest in tools and systems to improve productivity. Management actively seeks and rewards for new ideas and innovation. Fun corporate culture. Truly a global company with daily interaction among colleagues from all time zones. I really enjoy my co-workers.

ConsWork/life balance needs improvement. With a global workforce comes email requests at all hours of the day and night. It's difficult to unplug as a result.

So far, so great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat company with a fun, laid back environment. I enjoy coming to work every day because the people here are fantastic. This company is very employee focused and doesn't hesitate to spend a little $$ on its employees and Automic pays 100% of employee benefits. I also really enjoy being able to interact with the Global Workforce we have; this has led to both professional and personal development for me.

ConsWe are in a growing phase right now so there are tons of changes taking place which can make things a bit chaotic. This is understandable and to be expected, but can still be tough when an employee is new and trying to learn the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver sharing with employees can be a good thing. The more we know about the changes and direction the company is headed in (including individual departments), the better equipped we will be to do our jobs and understand where we fit in with the future of the company.

An old company that was once small going through a lot of growing pains

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsOverall Automic has hired some excellent new management. They realized how grossly incompetent their current management was and either fired them or put an executive over them (effectively demoting them). There is an appetite for growth, which bodes well for job security. While management readily ignores fundamental workplace health drivers, there is plenty of pizza days, free drinks and the morale day a few times a year.

ConsSenior management lost a huge amount of trust essentially every time they speak. It's always 'say one thing, do another'. For example, the company was huge on chosing your own destiny. We were all told that we could move into any role we wanted (provided there was an opening and you were qualified). From my experience and others, this is the exception, not the rule. You definitely feel stuck on a set of tracks, even if you have experience and there is an open role.

I was an account executive for some time with company and a high performing one at that. I eventually got painfully frustrated with the compensation model. In the US, finance determines payouts and programs, which somehow always ended up with us short changed. We have actually had other sales rep sue over it.

I got fed up with some of old guard who felt entitled to bully employees, while having no real idea of what they are talking about. It felt like a company ran by kids when and I left and thank god I found a place run by adults.

The icing on the cake was when I decided to leave for a direct competitor. Yes - a direct competitor. When I submitted my 2 weeks notice, I was told to work them out. I don't think I need to say more.

Word of advice if you do get hired - don't count on HR for anything. Everything you say can and will be used against you, regardless of assumed confidentiality.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current CEO, Jason, is clearly nothing more than a mercenary seeking his fortune. Automic will be sold or acquired within a few years and the small band of him and his cohorts (who are the only ones eligible for stock by the way) will plunder the treasure, while the rest of the company remains underpaid for the industry, by quite a bit.

The Vienna HQ is a tumor to the company. When you are in rapid growth, revenue is all that truly matters. The amount of scrutiny over travel expenses, headcount, expense reports, etc. is ridiculous. You are in a GROW phase, not a MAINTAIN phase. So support the revenue with investments.

Automic Software Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Nov 13, 2013

Thank you to the individual who posted on October 24, 2013. Automic is an exciting, fast paced, culture driven company. We value all constructive feedback, as it helps us create a better workplace ... More

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSmall friendly environment company. Lots of communication with C-Level.

ConsC-Level it not really experienced. Lack of knowledge. To many changes in the last couple of years. They have not a clear strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany need really experienced executives from Big companies, IBM, Oracle , BMC. that know better corporate software strategy.

Pre sales engineer

Pre Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Remote, OR

ProsNothing real good, they changed the name of the company

ConsEverything, just maketing and blablabla

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a real manager, not a ghost

Automic Software Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Nov 14, 2013

Thank you for this post. We are sorry that you feel your current working experience with Automic is not positive. We take every review very seriously and evaluate the concerns as we want Automic to ... More

Wonderful work opportunity.

Support Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat staff and an excellent product. Lots of room to learn new software and programing languages.

ConsLow pay and a variable "bonus" that is actually part of your "salary"

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more raises and be more stern with bad staff.

Worked for Automic Software? Contribute to the Community!