Automic Software

Automic Software Reviews

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014

Todd DeLaughter

More than satisfying experience working at Automic.

Current Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Automic Software as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are very nice and understanding. There is a lot of room for personal growth and the company has really good values. The pay rates are fair or more than fair if you are doing your job.

Cons

There were no cons in my opinion.

There could be a little more organization but that is true for every company.

A company with no momentum trying to find it's way.

I worked at Automic Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were some good people. Fun work outings. Free parking. The benefits were decent (401k/match, free soft drinks, health insurance, average PTO)

Cons

This company can't grow organically, so they bought ORSYP. The technology, while reliable and solid, is moldy technology. It's old school on-premise software.

Lot's of management and executive turnover. This should be a red flag to anyone. The company seems to go through one CMO per year.

The internal politics at this company is ridiculous.

No stock options which is crazy for a technology company (at least here in the US).

Focus on innovation and stop trying to be BMC, IBM, or CA

Acquisiton wipeout

I worked at Automic Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

World wide presence. To select staff will encourage geographic movement.

Cons

Bias to European background and youth (that might be just for lower cost)

If continuing to buy companies, learn how to do a professional job of cutting staff. This was worse than being acquired by CA

Once a great company, now in shambles all due to greed.

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Automic Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once upon a time, UC4 as it was known, was a fantastic company in almost every sense. From the top down (with some reservations towards the former CEO), everyone was dedicated to building a top tier software company. With almost 25 years of history, they still felt like a start-up but had the experience to be a leader in the marketplace. The compensation is still above-par, but quotas have increased and territories have been cut in half or more. There are also great people in Sales Ops, Dev, Consulting etc. and always willing to help.

Cons

From my perspective, the downward spiral for Automic began with the sale of itself to EQT. There was almost no transparency in the process and later, discovered much of what was told to us were lies. Since then, almost all of Sales Management has left (CEO, President, VP's of Sales and VP of GSO). Most were made scapegoats for the fact that the company could not achieve unrealistic and ridiculous growth numbers. The new CSO has coincidentally, brought in replacements from his former life. To say the least, almost everything has changed, and not in a good way. While most AE's had great years, almost all are miserable and are constantly being hounded on a daily basis on pipeline/forecast calls. Focus on customer support and development has diminished. Almost no one trusts leadership as they are the only ones set to profit on Automic's eventual sale to yet another company or the lofty goal of going public.

Hand out shovels to all the employees. At least give them the tools to bury their own graves.

European-owned company that is a tale of 2 companies (spoiler: the US version sucks)

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Automic Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, consistent amount of training made available, fun outings, and many of the people are great (see below for otherwise).

Cons

I went on mat leave as an EA for two executives and came back to a front desk receptionist role. They blatantly ignored a doctor's note advising I work from home during my pregnancy and threatened me with either taking a part time role with benefits or doing a fulltime role I didn't want with a performance improvement plan. Needless to say - their record with both support staff and pregnant women is terrible.

I loved the two executives I supported and they made my job truly incredible. Unfortunately the mentality towards support staff is as a second class citizen, so I would strongly advise against any role such as EA, office manager, receptionist, etc.

There are a lot of well tenured employees who have entrenched themselves and are in conflict with the new wave of talent (many at senior levels) they have brought in. Turmoil and chaos are two words that immediately come to mind. A hot mess is the one I gravitate towards.

Adopt a more constructive and functional view of support personnel. The attitude of them being interchangeable peons is directly correlated to the massive churn that you see in these roles.

PreSales Engineer

Former Employee - Pre Sales Engineer
    Former Employee - Pre Sales Engineer

I worked at Automic Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart People, Nice benefits, good opportunities

Cons

No management, Terrible product, difficult and way behind the competition.

Be focused

I was an executive.

I worked at Automic Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong talent pool. Great market opportunity. Good collaborative and collegial culture. Experienced driven management.

Cons

Competitive market. Technical complexity. Geographical spread business that requires travel.

Keep building and executing the strategic and international vision and plans.

GFun company, great people

I have been working at Automic Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is willing to invest in tools and systems to improve productivity. Management actively seeks and rewards for new ideas and innovation. Fun corporate culture. Truly a global company with daily interaction among colleagues from all time zones. I really enjoy my co-workers.

Cons

Work/life balance needs improvement. With a global workforce comes email requests at all hours of the day and night. It's difficult to unplug as a result.

So far, so great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Automic Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company with a fun, laid back environment. I enjoy coming to work every day because the people here are fantastic. This company is very employee focused and doesn't hesitate to spend a little $$ on its employees and Automic pays 100% of employee benefits. I also really enjoy being able to interact with the Global Workforce we have; this has led to both professional and personal development for me.

Cons

We are in a growing phase right now so there are tons of changes taking place which can make things a bit chaotic. This is understandable and to be expected, but can still be tough when an employee is new and trying to learn the business.

Over sharing with employees can be a good thing. The more we know about the changes and direction the company is headed in (including individual departments), the better equipped we will be to do our jobs and understand where we fit in with the future of the company.

An old company that was once small going through a lot of growing pains

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Automic Software full-time

Pros

Overall Automic has hired some excellent new management. They realized how grossly incompetent their current management was and either fired them or put an executive over them (effectively demoting them). There is an appetite for growth, which bodes well for job security. While management readily ignores fundamental workplace health drivers, there is plenty of pizza days, free drinks and the morale day a few times a year.

Cons

Senior management lost a huge amount of trust essentially every time they speak. It's always 'say one thing, do another'. For example, the company was huge on chosing your own destiny. We were all told that we could move into any role we wanted (provided there was an opening and you were qualified). From my experience and others, this is the exception, not the rule. You definitely feel stuck on a set of tracks, even if you have experience and there is an open role.

I was an account executive for some time with company and a high performing one at that. I eventually got painfully frustrated with the compensation model. In the US, finance determines payouts and programs, which somehow always ended up with us short changed. We have actually had other sales rep sue over it.

I got fed up with some of old guard who felt entitled to bully employees, while having no real idea of what they are talking about. It felt like a company ran by kids when and I left and thank god I found a place run by adults.

The icing on the cake was when I decided to leave for a direct competitor. Yes - a direct competitor. When I submitted my 2 weeks notice, I was told to work them out. I don't think I need to say more.

Word of advice if you do get hired - don't count on HR for anything. Everything you say can and will be used against you, regardless of assumed confidentiality.

The current CEO, Jason, is clearly nothing more than a mercenary seeking his fortune. Automic will be sold or acquired within a few years and the small band of him and his cohorts (who are the only ones eligible for stock by the way) will plunder the treasure, while the rest of the company remains underpaid for the industry, by quite a bit.

The Vienna HQ is a tumor to the company. When you are in rapid growth, revenue is all that truly matters. The amount of scrutiny over travel expenses, headcount, expense reports, etc. is ridiculous. You are in a GROW phase, not a MAINTAIN phase. So support the revenue with investments.

Automic Software Response

Nov 13, 2013Talent Acquisition

Thank you to the individual who posted on October 24, 2013. Automic is an exciting, fast paced, culture driven company. We value all constructive feedback, as it helps us create a better workplace ... More