Automotive Finance Corporation

Updated November 12, 2014
1.9

Don Gottwald

Management

I have been working at Automotive Finance Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible, good pay, everyday is different. never a dull moment

Cons

there is not a lot of turn over so advancement might be a concern for some.

Don't Do it!

I have been working at Automotive Finance Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are NO Pros about this company! I wouldn't even give it one star but you have to. Working with dealers can be rewarding at times.

Cons

Worst pay plan on the planet. Pays thousands below industry average. If you have a choice between 2 jobs, pick the other one. They don't have a clue. Constantly behind the 8 ball! Antiquated thinking. Sales team and Branches turning into a revolving door because they are so clueless and they just don't get it.

You will never get it. No feedback will ever help you because you are so clueless.

Just Say No

Former Employee - Dealer Administrative Representative
    Former Employee - Dealer Administrative Representative

I worked at Automotive Finance Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, compensated for travel, overtime easy to get.

Cons

Management team does not care about staff. Harbors an execution style business model [meaning that the bottom performer gets fired, even if everyone is doing excellent]. Punishes independent thought and only cares about the bottom line. I had a manager tell me to lie in order to make our branch look better. You were expected to work until the work was done, which sometimes meant working 70+ hours a week. if you couldn't do it, then you were punished. Regional manager focused on distraction and misdirection as a training tool. All the blame for anything negative falls on the direct staff, but the management team will gladly take the credit for anything good. Don't even think about giving notice; they fire you if you do!

Learn to value your employees as much as you value your profit.

Poor Management, Will Steal Your Raises & Bonus' s

Pros

Good benefits package, nothing more.

Cons

They will railroad you with BS excuses so they do not have to give raises. They will fabricate stories from nothing to put you on a performance improvement plan (PIP) and then lend no support to help you do better. Upper mgmt bullies, infimidates and harrasses. It is a total boys club. If you have a penus and a degree in underwater basket weaving , you are in the door.

Kill yourselves....

Bad company! Bad Senior Leadership! Bad Corporate Support! You Don't Want To Work There!

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

The Industry Is Challenging and Fun. Developing relationships with dealers is very rewarding. Auctions are fun to attend.

Cons

Alot of cons! Zero accountability from corporate when they make errors. Senior leadership think they never can make a mistake. Senior leadership think they are great. They are far from it! They only know how to carry a big stick.

Learn how to be accountable. Have respect and value your field employees hard work. Not an employee friendly company.

One of the worst places I ever worked.

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Automotive Finance Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Independence, laptop, cellphone, iPad.

Cons

Paperwork, bureaucracy, too many chiefs not enough Indians, meetings, meetings, meetings. Not enough hours in a day to do what they want you to do.

Let Sales People do what you hired them to do, SELL.

Crapshoot Dependent Upon Who You Report to

Current Employee - Annonymou in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Annonymou in Carmel, IN

Pros

Benefits are good. Majority of Senior Management are approachable and personable, creating a team-like environment. Their visions are inspiring and the President (Don Gottwald) may be one of the most brilliant leaders I know. As I mention in the "Cons" section, pay is not very competitive for office-type jobs but each department is it's own "team" which is nice (or has the potential to be dependent on who your direct supervisor is).

Cons

As with any company, it seems as though Senior Management has little idea or appreciation for how hard non-manager employees work. It is sometimes demoralizing to see the disconnect between the top and bottom of the food chain as it relates to daily operations. Starting pay (from my research) is below comparable to jobs elsewhere. Raises are mediocre at best. The other "con" is that you feel constantly evaluated.

If you want the right people on the bus, take care of them once hop aboard.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Automotive Finance Corporation

Pros

Competitive salary, good time off & benefits right form the start.

Cons

medical benefits have a one month waiting period

Run Away!!!!!

Current Employee - Management in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Management in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The pros are your nearest boss is several states away.

Cons

Where do I start....There are no real vacations, days off or sick days-you will work through them. Forget about lunches or breaks. They work you like a dog. Upper management are incompetent morons who blame everyone under them for their inefficiencies.

Kill yourselves.

I enjoyed my work at AFC.......but had very limited regional mgr support.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Automotive Finance Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AFC is a challenging and rewarding work environment at the branch level.

Cons

A number of the regional managers and above are out of touch. Some (ND) are ladder climbers who only care about their careers and micro manage everyone they manage. ND is more concerned about image rather than substance. If you are not in his "click" you will be out of work.

Make an honest effort to know your branch employees and what it takes to run branch. There is more to a branch than an ABH.
    Using illegally gained information to make business decisions shows your lack of integrity.