Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

if you have talent come here, fun and rewarding , if mediocre avoid

Engineer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy

ProsIf you have talent its a greatcompany, best technology unlimited rewards for the stars. Company is grwoing very fast and awards big opions grants to those that suceed. If youa re brifgr you will be surrounded by really smart people.

Consif you are mediocre or want 9-5 avoid this company, if you don't like a hot kitchen this is not for you. The company is on a mission and you are either on board or not. People here do amazing things and when there is a crunch hours can be long for a week or two.

Advice to Senior Managementmore training and as things are moving so fast it would be good to get more updates. Don't be told to put in more process keep it the fun place it is

Work Hard Play Hard and Bag The Cash!!

Sales Exec (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy

ProsI've read the other comments and they all miss the point... you work at Autonomy to use the best kit, tools and work on the world's best information access projects and of course bag some big bucks. Forget "culture" and "information sharing".. that was all 20th Century. We all want the money!!

ConsDepends who you are? If you're a Sales Engineer you won't be spending a lot of time in the office so you'd better like travelling! Some I know go all over the world. If you're a developer you might not like working on lots of different projects (some don't - fair enough) and if you're a bit dense between the ears you'll get to know it!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the managers ‘live to work’ and that has an inevitably impact on some teams... but then they tend to attract those people that like to 'live to work' too so maybe "birds of a feather flock together" and all that? Having said that, there are lots of social activities, games rooms, etc and they even own chalets in places like Tahoe which the supe- performers get to use FOC, so as I say, "horses for courses" eh?

A highly rewarding challenge

Technical Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy

ProsUnlimited potential for advancement and compensation. The company is a work hard/reward/play hard environment, which rewards success but also identifies those not up to it. That is not an environment for everyone. The company is involved in some of the most interesting information challenges inside enterprise, at the edge of issues companies and governments face based on the deluge of unstructured information. Clients are world-leading companies tackling real issues. Huge opportunities for travel in my role, meeting with senior execs of major companies. Bonuses regularly awarded for excellent performance. Share options also awarded based on merit.

ConsIt is a hard-work environment, delivering sophisticated technology to customers. That said colleagues are absolutely top notch and learnign opportunities abound.

Advice to Senior ManagementWithin my part of the company, continue to promote from within as this has been extremely effective during my time here.

I like it!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat teams, great people, interesting projects

Consnothing really... maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing...

Advice to Senior Managementput in more time into planning

Software Development

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Southborough, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsFast pacing environment;
Lot of technologies involved;
Smart people, open communication;
Your opinion is listened to;
Benefits are respectful.

ConsProfessionalism is recognized but not so fast as one would wish - promotions are slow

Work was challenging and rewarding. However, management is eccentric.

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has a large data center presence and steady growth.
As a PM, you get the chance to apply your project management skills to real-world IT projects.

ConsManagement is eccentric and acts in a secretive manner.
One day, your job is going well, and the next day, you're out the door without any explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't withhold information from your employees.

Unbelievable Products, marginal management

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

Prosmost powerful black box technology for squeezing maximum value out of corporate knowledge and experience resources.

ConsVery little flexibility in opportunity management

Advice to Senior Managementwhy not build a search engine based on IDOL?

It's a job

Cloud Engineer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe job provides a decent lifestyle and interesting challenging work. Awesome people that hold the teams together.

ConsI don't have anything particularly new to say compared to the present reviews. I can see truth in most of the issues raise, but wonder if it's really that different to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooking forward to see what magic HP can bring. I am very hopeful that Meg Whitman sees the challenge of transforming the business from ones that driven by sales to one that driven by customer (and hopefully employee) satisfaction.

HP is making a big difference

Boston, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNew management really gets it. Things are starting to turn around, but there's a ways to go.

ConsThere are lots of challenges, and it will take a while to fix what is broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us have more access to HP's systems and infrastructure.

Much improved

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSince the directors quit a couple of months ago things have got much better here. Plus the web filter that stopped us getting to a load of websites has gone and the dress code is casual at last.

But the best thing about being here is the rest of the dev team who are great guys and you learn loads from each other.

ConsThough the former directors were the cause of most of the negativity here we could still probably do with some new ones so I hope someone's looking.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.