Autonomy

Autonomy Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns

Robert Youngjohns

Pros:
  • "Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it-"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them"
    in 18 reviews
  • "upper management but they've all left since HP acquisition"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Salary review

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone
No good benefits
No commendations

ConsSenior skilled employees are treated as fresh graduates And paid peanuts

Advice to Senior ManagementBe generous and reward your best employees and you may be able to retain them

Aurasma is very apt - explosive bowel movement

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices on St James. You too can have a fumble where the queen mum used to get jiggy.

ConsThey support chav sports. A lot of hot air at best, aurasma producing is the norn.

Advice to Senior Managementthe most senior have gone, but the real trash are still there. the training guy is basically lower than a suicide bomber..

It was a unique experience

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsGood Colleagues had a few laughs

ConsManagement did not add any value and micro managed

Lots of work, no personal gain.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

ProsChristmas party, which they are plan on removing this year. Decent bonus, generally nice working environment. Free food on Fridays and drinks everyday

ConsThe management never seem to know what's going on down below. The only way to get a pay rise is to quit. The hard work pays off in the short tern, rarely in the long term. Difficult to advance due the the cosy management in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't break promises (raises, visa, travel). You are working you employees to death. Manage your projects better, quality not quantity.

In Flux

Sales (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

ProsBecoming more HP like and customer centric

Constime of instability and uncertainty

Advice to Senior ManagementQuicken the process to integrate

Should never have taken the job offered to me here

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Autonomy full-time for less than a year

Pros- They hire college grads with potential
- Great people in the office. Really feel like you're in the trenches together.
- Smart people: you will learn a lot
- Great office with a great view.
- Fantastic initial compensation and benefits package
- If you get in with the right group, you're set for life (see con #1)

Cons- If you don't get in with the main clique or if you anger/annoy any of them, you experience all of the following cons
- No career growth or development. You just get shuffled around with no direction to where they need people (usually the less glamorous teams)
- No positives on the horizon. One of the reasons I had left is that no one around me had seen raises, promotions, or bonuses of any kind for 5+ years.
- Culture is very negative. Very much a thought of "let's just suck it up and do this so we don't get yelled at" instead of "let's do this because it's good business"
- Non IDOL software is extremely buggy and bugs go unfixed for months unless support hammers into development.
- Accountability almost always comes back to support. An issue taken up with management goes to support. Issues in development come from customers to support, back to development, who tries to say that the customer is wrong even if support has verified the issue. Sales reps, on-site consultants, and more- all issues just keep coming back to support.
- Huge turnover. A lot of senior guys who hadn't seen any positives in years left, making it harder to learn or master the products. With only college grads coming in, it's hard to keep experts around.

All that said, it's possible this is all changing due to HP's takeover and executive level changes. So take this with a grain of salt. Make sure this is a job you really want to do before taking the offer or it will hurt your future career.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm aware that the transition to HP is changing things slowly so it may be getting better. But to any still there from Autonomy- good managers reward success, reprimand failure, and shield their team from flak from above. They don't pass the blame and cover their own hide.

What am i doing?

Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

ProsGetting paid to arrive in work when i feel like it, play pool or stand around chatting whilst drinking free coffee, having been given any direction in weeks no one seems to know what's going on.

ConsThe departure of Mike Lynch and he vision he was the reason i joined Autonomy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost employees i speak to have already placed their CV's with recruiters.

Not recommended

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy

ProsNot many, a very small percentage of the salespeople are even above plan, less than 15% of the total. Less than 5% make great money

ConsHorrible resource allocation issues, weeks or months to get customer issues fixed, even with revenue generating activities the restraints are unreal. Three days of product training, all very high level with no specifics, no follow up training. Micromanaged environment with little to no support unless your driving a multi-million dollar transaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the management is changing, the reality is you're not making changes fast enough and are pissing off and/or losing accounts and marketshare.

recent changes may improve things, but the bad reputation is well deserved

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autonomy full-time

Prosfor high sales performers, the pay is good,
the integration with HP gives some hope for the future
in a few areas, the technology is as strong and unique as the company thinks it is

Cons- culture lacks integrity, honesty, general decency
- arrogance and dishonesty about own technology - which is often half-baked
- apparent view that people are fungible and easily replaced

Advice to Senior Managementneed to reorient focus on development and away from marketing. find some humility quick

Want to feel as POW this is the place

Business Development Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbove average payment
Really good marketing to get hired

ConsExternal Headhunter is relative to Top management, promise to much acomplish zero
Poor management
A lot of pressure to achieve quota, with no presales support
Most sofware is marketing stuff not real product

Advice to Senior ManagementHP manager you should takeover and investigate all top management at BOS, SFO, DAL, you will find not good stuff for stockholders

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autonomy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autonomy CEO Robert Youngjohns. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Autonomy employees.