Autonomy Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

2.3

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Autonomy went through multiple acquisitions and a lot of employee has been laid off ... not sure if it finished ...

Current Employee - Software Support Consultant  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Software Support Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting products. With right / smart management can be progress in the future - with out appropriate management way to nowhere.

Cons

You will utilize wide range of knowledge and learn well balancing proportion of IT and Telecom.

Management level very from one to another person. People (employee and managers) playing a lot of "job security" tricks ..

Account Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Good people for the most part-They want to do a good job. Good story to tell to clients.

Cons

Technology behind. Software hard to deploy and harder for customers to maintain. Few sales people can make their number.

Convince HP to start investing in the products, otherwise you will simply fall further behind

Shady folks at the top setting the company culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The group I was in did a lot of new development, using the latest tools. There was a caf and gym onsite.

Cons

My company was acquired by Autonomy prior to the HP acquisition. After listening to the Autonomy brass speak, it came as no surprise that HP later uncovered fraud and accounting tricks. We were told Autonomy does not give raises. We started several new development projects, which required nights and weekends, only to see them scrapped a few months later when the winds of change blew through. They had a few layoffs, then decided to let the best and brightest self-select themselves elsewhere through attrition. The result was a steady exodus, and a huge swath of empty cubes and offices. Not too encouraging.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mixed bag of positives and negatives

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

For sales, your part of larger sales footprint calling on customers.

Cons

Some products are behind competitors.

Be competitive.

Good Overall Experience

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual workplace, approachable management, earnest desire to improve.

Cons

Convoluted technological tools, rigid workflow, slow to respond to change and/or off the mark with industry standards.

I enjoyed the pay, but was never trained properly & held to unreasonable production standards.

Former Employee - Business Development Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay & benefits! Organized sports after work against other company reams here in SF & good morale amongst coworkers. Free catered lunches weekly!

Cons

Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees. The sales/BDA goals are extremely unrealistic. I have led my sales team in all my prior positions, but at this company I never hit my weekly quota, nor did 90% of my peers in my department.

Get to know your employees. Spend a day doing what they/we do & see exactly what we are up against & then set production goals based on that. REALISTIC, Attainable Goals.

It was the most fear-driven, vampirish work environment I've ever experienced with inept management to boot.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big name company lets you rest comfortably that you'll be paid. Bagel day. woohoo

Cons

Everything. No career path. Poor pay. Abusive management.

Get some experience in dealing with people and developing a more collaborative environment and lose the 'us vs them' mentality.

Not working.

I have been working at Autonomy full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many great people working here, but not enough. They are all holding on. There are good places to burrow in. There is no real pressure to perform, so you can have security, almost like a government job.

Cons

The technology is rotten. Management is a slumlord. There is no appetite to rearchitect, refactor, rewrite, so the product line is struggling to keep scale with existing client data/demands. Look at the timeline of the companies Autonomy comprises. All of that stuff is still around, like a museum of technology in the 1990s. Smell opportunity? Please! It will take you so long to achieve anything it will make you look bad interviewing for your next job. Money is only available in the wake of a crisis, so you'll be muddling-through. Good ideas are scary. Basic stuff you need to manage crises are broken too: the network, for example, is pathologically broken due to integration problems since the merger. There's more, but trust me, you don't really want to know.

Please! ... as if they care. You'll never pay for the acquisition deal losses, so kick back and enjoy the ride, right? It will take another decade for clients to abandon Autonomy, so the gravy train will keep flowing and the decline will match expenses recouped through employee attrition. Maybe you can replace experienced staff with gullible recent grads? A cakewalk! 100% play-acting! HP had better buy some more (new) companies with products to replace 90% of the Autonomy stuff if they want to keep those lucrative clients locked in.

Autonomy, Great Company, Top of the line engineers.

Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Support Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Autonomy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products, Great employees, Lots of opportunity to grow. Great benefits for Employees.

Cons

Needs to improve to catch up with competitors.

Was a mess during HP Merger

I worked at Autonomy

Pros

if you had the right opportunities, pay was good

Cons

toxic company culture, very public leadership issues during merger killed sales cycles.

Worked for Autonomy? Contribute to the Community!