Autonomy Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Don't work here

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home (when not traveling). Free Friday lunch and bagels on Wednesday mornings. Many exceptional people work here.

Cons

Many unhappy customers. Bad management. Unethical sales teams. Products not as good as advertised and lagging behind the competition. No true integrated solutions, just components that should work together but don't. Unpredictable travel requirements. No career development opportunity.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all of the legacy Autonomy managers, they have no idea how to run a company. Reduce the number of products being developed and renew the focus on quality. Try actually using your company's own products.

2. Genuinely Exciting Proposition

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a group of employees that are very energising to work among. I joined prior to the acquisition, and have seen so much change throughout the whole organisation, almost entirely for the better. A solid product set with a genuinely exciting story to tell. It's given me opportunities that I would never have had anywhere else.

Cons

HP is a very big company, and that inevitably leads to some frustrations. These are probably less problematic for someone joining the company fresh, but it represented quite a shift for existing employees. It can be a lot to get your head round at first, but is something that you can figure out with time.

Advice to Management

Keep betting on your people, and keep telling the big story.

3. HP Autonomy culture a 180. Great place to work now.

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great mix: still very entrepreneurial and agile with the support and backing of the broader HP.
    Compensation and benefits are fair and competitive. You'll see more equity upside at a startup, but the compensation at HP Autonomy is as good or better than competitors. The previous leadership prior to the acquisition by HP was confrontational and rough on employees but great energy has been spent to turn away from that legacy. The new culture is that of collaboration, rational decisions and empowerment. I'm very comfortable here and expect to make this a long-term fit.

Cons

Can be a challenge to get the attention of HP Corp. Processes and rules that apply to the legacy HP business don't always work for a fast moving software group/company. And HP Corp hasn't yet figured out all the nuances between hardware and software. Can make processes challenging. Also, as is the case in all aggressive software groups, the pace is extreme. Can create late nights at time... But the staff feeds off this energy... Really a pro for many of us.

Advice to Management

Make big bets. Take more risks in markets. Invest even more in R&D. Let's turn this into a rocket ship!

5. Un triste rêve pour HP. A sad dream for HP

Current Employee - Chef des ventes in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Chef des ventes in Paris (France)

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

(Translated from English)

Pros

Une bonne technologie. Un réel potentiel en France, plus important que le marché appelé moteur de recherche.

Un bon réseau HP.

A good technology. A real potential in France, bigger than the original market called the search engine.
    Great HP network.

Cons

Acquisition par HP, qui ne sait pas ce qu'est la gestion de l'information. HP ne connaît pas le marché d'Autonomy. Cela deviendra une mauvaise acquisition, comme Palm ou EDS.

De vieux produits (WCM, DAM, gestion de documents...) comparé à la concurrence et aux attentes des clients. Manque de recherche et développement.

Mauvaise image auprès de nombreux clients français.

Acquisition by HP which doesn't know what information management is. HP doesn't know the Autonomy market. Will become a bad acquisition like Palm or EDS.
    Old products (WCM, DAM, records management, ...) compared to competitors and customer requests. Lack of R&D.
    Bad image at many French customers.

Advice to Management

Recrutez des dirigeants appropriés, avec une formation en gestion de l'information, et non pas juste des dirigeants Excel. De cette façon, ils pourront déterminer la bonne stratégie pour Autonomy.

Hire relevant managers with IM background, not only excel managers. This way, they'll be able to set the right strategy for Autonomy

6. Software Engineer

I have been working at Autonomy

Pros

office culture, city workingmn environment

Cons

bad management and lack of communication

disorganized operation!

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work independently. Learning experience. Newly created position with many challenges.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in two years!! High turnover. When HP took over my position in finance became extremely frustrating with the micro management mentality! My position was newly created & an uphill challenge to say the least! Myself & two colleagues without little supervision made remarkable strides. The manager @ HP had zero experience & would constantly send emails reminding up what to do! So happy my position was relocated!!

Advice to Management

To retain good talent you must pay well & don't continue to have the arrogant attitude "if you don't like it leave"! In my two year tenure I've seen top talent abandon ship!

8. Starting job here

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is good place for student just graduate from university. It is starting job.

Cons

No salary increase , benefit is getting worse. Many people leave after it sold to HP.

9. Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People from companies acquired by Autonomy are descent people.

Cons

Horrible management philosophy. Treat employees like crap.

Advice to Management

To HP management...clean house!

Better since the HP Acquisition

Current Employee - Technical Consultant III
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant III

I have been working at Autonomy full-time

Pros

Management seems to take more of an interest in taking care of customers since the HP acquisition
    Great coworkers
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

Massive cuts to bonuses since the HP acquisition
    Software still has many core issues/bugs
    Software is often oversold leading to customer complaints
    HP is such an enormous company its hard to feel connected to anything but your home office
    Engineering is still very much a closed off world, seemingly disconnected from the reality of how the software actually works
    More of a focus on metrics as opposed to quality of work since the HP acquisition
    No pride in the work from anyone in the company
    Everyone I've spoken to internally detests our software, sales practices, and has no faith what-so-ever in the company (this includes having no faith in the HP parent organization).

Advice to Management

Focus on getting the core software solid and bug free - its currently an embarrassment. This isn't a start-up company but the software quality is that of a beta from a start-up. Only within the last few months were sprints started for engineering - before that the release schedule would be over a year between updates. This is a step in the right direction, but without continued pressure its going to be far too little far too late. The only reason the company hasn't gone under is because of overly aggressive sales (the sales guys could probably sand to a guy dying of thirst) and our competitors not having much better offering. Basing your strategy on being just a little better than mediocre competitors is not a good way to inspire employee loyalty.

11. The blind leading the blind

Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Autonomy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met very smart and very loyal fellow workers who were honest and hard working.

Cons

I met ruthless and unpleasant management who were dishonest and incompetent at their jobs. Some of whom should be in prison for the robbery that was the sale to HP.

Advice to Management

You are not the smartest people in the room. Listen to your employees. Respect work life balance. Manage collaboratively and not through intimidation.

RSS Feed </> Embed