Autonomy

Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

Autonomy SVP & General Manager Robert Youngjohns
Robert Youngjohns

Pros
  • Free breakfast Wednesday, free lunch Friday (in 33 reviews)

• Nice office space and free lunch on Fridays but thats about it- (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • maybe that the upper management could have more direction in what they are doing (in 19 reviews)

• HP executives unresponsive while all the talented Autonomy senior management is gone (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Avoid here, Sales Mgmt nightmare, no interest in Customer Sat, takes large deals away, few ever make 50% of quota

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy does have some outstanding software products that are good and provide value when they are installed and configured correctly.....

Very nice co-workers that will try to help you

Cons

*Senior leadership does not care about the satisfaction of their customers.
    *They acquire companies, integrate their IDOL technology, significantly reduce the development and support staff, but increase the sales force too large and very few sales people make any good money.
    *Terrible customer support
    * Sales leadership regularly in group meetings unprofessionally tears sales reps apart verbally.... a real team moral killer.
    * The fastest revolving door of good sales people that I have ever witnessed.
    * Sales leadership is very direct and aggressive about driving the sales teams to just close the business, take the money and run, whether the customer will benefit from the software or not.
    * Many unhappy customers who admit that after they purchased the software they felt abandoned.
    *Senior leadership only focused on selling the business to cash out which they did to HP who I believe will regret their decision

HP management needs to completely clean house of all senior leadership and completely clean house of all sales leadership and sales managers. They all need to go as soon as possible.

The market for their products does not support the size of their current sales staff headcount which needs to be reduced by at least 50% to allow those that remain to make a living.

Reinvest in technical support teams to improve customer satisfaction

Reinvest in product development to update some of the products which are getting rather old in the tooth from a technology perspective.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Came for aggressive comp plan and thought I knew about the culture walking into this role but boy was I was wrong. It was everything and more and that's not good.

Cons

Everything you've read about this company is 100% true. Win at all costs is the motto here. Do anything/say anything to get the deal and let someone else worry about the customer satisfaction.

Now that HP owns the company I'm sure the toxic culture is being driven out of the Autonomy organization. To the current and former Autonomy management team, check your ego at the door, treat people like you want to be treated, and be honest (to your employees and your customers).

Good team, OK company

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting product, great clients -- OK company with an average reputation and now part of a legacy company with reputation in question

Cons

Autonomy may or not find its way as part of HP -- the parent company is so large and at such a questionable place on its own timeline -- it's hard to see where or in what form Autonomy will be a factor in its life and work

Connect with workers with bonuses and in-person conferencing to build loyalty, otherwise attrition will continue and the ideas that could enhance its relevance will go with exiting workers

Account Executive

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Broad product offering, good technology mix

Cons

Horrible culture, run through fear and intimidation.

Be more positive, use the carrot more then the stick

Only if you aspire to be a gladiator

Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good product strategy. If you can sell in this environment, you can make as much money as anyone in the software sales game.

Cons

Abusive management relationship to sales force. Completely obscure pricing policies. "Smash and grab" sales culture. Close the deal at all costs, with no future commitment to customer success or satisfaction.

Get your personal affairs in order before reporting to the penitentiary to begin serving your sentence.

Wish I could give it zero stars -

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great marketing - cool message. Great Sales reps. Much better after the HP sale. Benefits are good.

Cons

over 90% turnover for a reason. You can sell, but management will take the deal away from you so you don't get the commission. Pricing is not available for sales people on 90% of the products and to get pricing, you have to give up 75% of your commission. Lot's of travel, metrics - 5 face to face a week and 1 proposal. No org chart, limited access to engineers, no white papers. Some of the software works. Run away! Don't stop here.

Great place to start a career. Small Teams - Big Tech.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Excellent middle management. I worked in a small team, with a very bright manager who possessed an excellent confluence of traits. He was friendly, patient, and a great teacher - always available if I had a question or got stuck on something. Furthermore, he started me off with excellent assignments that got me diving into the code base and getting things done right away. In the long term, there were going to be some bigger architectural redesigns that were going to be a lot of fun to work on.

- Free soda / coffee / tea / etc all the time, and good free food on Fridays.

- Work/life balance was exceptional. No one was in competition to stay the latest. I kept very reasonable hours.

- Business was growing. Lots of opportunity to advance at the company in the long term, and its nice being at a company with plenty of cash flow.

- I only left to go back to graduate school for my PhD. Otherwise, I would have been happy there for the foreseeable future.

Cons

-The office space is a bit old fashioned (lots of cubicles), but at least the views are nice in the breakroom etc.

- Also, its worth pointing out that the company has changed hands several times in the past few years. Many of the bad reviews on this site I don't think are accurate. The environment at autonomy changed significantly in early 2012, after being purchased by HP. I wouldn't give much weight to reviews before early/mid 2012.

Disjointed Structure, Poor Incentives, Detached Management, No Culture

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great. The work can be interesting. Opportunities to travel and diversify work on occasion.

Cons

Disjointed Structure, Poor Incentives, Detached Management, No Culture. Management shows, at best, a tolerance for employees. Desire to increase sales no matter how unreasonable the client's demands.

Reward people, communicate, and listen. Don't hide in your office or behind your computer. Give employees incentives to increase revenue and stop micromanaging.

Flee!!! Run for your lives!!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Has some neat new technology to work with

Cons

Bad management and leadership overall.

Great people but poor benefits

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Autonomy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people and culture are great

Cons

rewards and lack of performance reviews

performance reviews