Autonomy Reviews

Reset
2.9
Autonomy CEO Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman

Pros
  • Free lunch on Fridays is also ok (in 11 reviews)

• Work/life balance was exceptional (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has a HUGE disconnect between their employees (in 19 reviews)

• Hiring staff was difficult as senior management would only approve a new hire if they came from a university that was acceptable to them (in 18 reviews)

1. Good technologies and products but the company is too big for an innovation or change

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southborough, MA

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many good technologies; overall good products. Free schedule, but full work load. Overall decent benefits. Perfect place for a college graduate.

Cons

Not that much opportunity to introduce something new as there is a lot of technologies already in place; the company is more interested in consolidating technologies and get rid of the rest. As in any big company changes are slow. Too many middle level managers. Extremely difficult to make a career. Medical/Dental insurance could be less expensive for a big company like that.

Advice to Management

Create better conditions for innovation. Develop more feasible opportunities for career growth.

2. Shady folks at the top setting the company culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southborough, MA

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The group I was in did a lot of new development, using the latest tools. There was a caf and gym onsite.

Cons

My company was acquired by Autonomy prior to the HP acquisition. After listening to the Autonomy brass speak, it came as no surprise that HP later uncovered fraud and accounting tricks. We were told Autonomy does not give raises. We started several new development projects, which required nights and weekends, only to see them scrapped a few months later when the winds of change blew through. They had a few layoffs, then decided to let the best and brightest self-select themselves elsewhere through attrition. The result was a steady exodus, and a huge swath of empty cubes and offices. Not too encouraging.

3. Software Development

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast pacing environment; Lot of technologies involved; Smart people, open communication; Your opinion is listened to; Benefits are respectful.

Cons

Professionalism is recognized but not so fast as one would wish - promotions are slow

Just get the deal signed - screw the customer after the sale.

Former Employee - Professional Services in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Southborough, MA

I worked at Autonomy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vacation allowance. Free lunch Fridays. Maybe HP can fix some of the mess?

Cons

Everything else. No review/raise process. Impossible to get promoted. Unethical sales tactics like I've never seen anywhere else. Support and services left holding the bag with a poor quality product that is next to impossible to implement and support. Secret engineering team that nobody is allowed to actually talk to. You NEVER receive feedback on any bugs submitted unless you are working with the latest hot customer (the one with the most new business riding on the success of your project). Although I can't imagine they actually get any repeat customers. I think Lynch and Co. knew they were running out of suckers and that they had no good reference customers left and that's why they sold. Everything is a fire drill - even planned implementations with a long sales cycle are staffed at the last minute. PS Consultants are shipped from one project to another in a big circle as each new customer becomes frustrated with the lack of knowledge and poor quality products.

Advice to Management

Keep purging all of the Autonomy middle management and horrible anti-customer anti-support, anti-employee policies.

Nice place to eat lunch but glad I don't work there anymore

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Southborough, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Southborough, MA

Pros

The cafe is pretty good. free coffee & snacks. Would provide good material for a horrible office sit-com or blog. Free lunch on Friday. You'll learn how a company should not be run.

Cons

It's all been said. I would have been happier cleaning up after dogs than working for these Stepford Execs. If you have one shred of respect for yourself and self worth avoid this place.

Advice to Management

no need to, they are PHDs and know it all. maybe it is the English way.

RSS Feed </> Embed