Autopart International

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Roger Patkin

No complaints so far! Great job.

Driver (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay for an easy job. We use brand new 2013 company cars and they pay for the gas. Pretty easy to get time off and they allow you to take 5 vacation days in advance even if you have no time built up. Great discount and the shops we deliver to hook us up. Easy to get overtime-- dont clock out for lunch.

ConsIts alittle hard to move up but they will if you do a good job and ask them. They dont really allow you to get a 2nd job because they dont want you to be tired while you drive, but if you ask them theyll usually let you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont just send new hires out. Show them the right way to deliver parts so the customer is always happy.

workers treated unfairly

Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Autopart International part-time for more than 8 years

Proskeeps one active and offers the chance to make new friends

Consdo not ask for a raise,you will not get it.employees not as important as the weekly bottom line.a/i main concern is all about $$$ for a/i nobody else except store mananger.

Advice to Senior Managementpay way more attention to the employee,it is they who bust their tails so store mgrs receive a bonus.

You will only last a few years....

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work alongside are great. Good communication down the ladder. Benefits are good. There is a bonus plan in place, but can be difficult to acheive. Unless you DESTROY your numbers needed to achieve bonus, the bonus you will most likely get is a pittance.

Cons-FORGET EVER GETTING A RASIE. Seriously, no matter how hard you work, how many hours you work a week (6 day weeks, almost 60 hours a week), and then go to meetings at night/weekends on top of it, or by how much you beat your sales goals, you WILL NOT GET A RAISE. An Assisstant Manager in this district is/was making more than his Store Manager!!!

-You will be micro-managed beyond belief. You will be expected to follow a sales process, regardless of whether or not it positively or negatively effects your sales. If you are beating your sales goals, District Managment will treat you like a king, no matter what else you may or may not be doing. If you are not, you will be ridden daily and be given MORE work to do, regardless of how hard you are already working or how much you have to do.

-Both of my above points are reflected in the turnover. Good People/Managers are berated and ridden until they either quit, or just stop caring and get demoted/fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery store is in a different territory, with different employees, and with different competition. You cannot have every store do the EXACT SAME THING and expect it to have the same results company-wide.

Cost of living goes up, that's just a fact of life. Everything increases: rent, cost of food, utilities, fuel to commute to work, etc... What doesn't increase in over 5 years? YOUR PAYCHECK. Not even a little bit, and then Corporate has the audacity to send constant emails about how well we as a company are doing, record sales this, record profit that. Yes, there is a bonus in place, but you can't/shouldn't have to count on bonuses to pay your monthly expenses.

Challenging, demanding, and rewarding for the right person.

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGet to work with some of the best trained people in the wholesale auto part industry. Customer base is for the most part more knowledgeable than your average DIY mechanic. Decent pay, 401k, medical and dental, stock benefits, bonus program. Major flexibility at the store level to reach sales goal.

ConsCorporate has no idea how the auto industry works. Convoluted POS system. Long hours with no overtime. You can be expected to work six days a week. For 11 hours a day with no lunch break. Sales goals can be unrealistic. Don't expect upper management to help much at the store. They are usually stretched to thin to be effective. You are expected to use a time consuming and quasi-effective sale process all day long, whether it works or not. Employee duties and responsibilities are not clearly laid out. Expect to be written up if you take time calling out sick or dealing with family issues. Despite what they say, family only matters when it is convenient to sales. You must drink the Kool-aid!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop killing the messenger when there is a problem. Also leave the stores alone if they are doing well. If it isn't broke don't fix it! Follow through when there is an issue. Give us two days off once in a while, or at least a lunch break. Ease up on the pressure (we are selling auto parts not saving lives) and your people won't burn out and quit all the time.

co-workers are basically family, not so much corporate though

Parts Counter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for more than 5 years

Prospay is half decent and like i said in the title. your co-workers become like family

Conscorporate are a bunch of nitwits. they want you to do this irrelevant stuff to make sales when it doesnt help at all. they really know how to break you down but they dont give you any credit for anything.

Advice to Senior Managementthey really need to look at what they're doing. people are getting tired of getting messed with.

They say they promote from within. Far from the truth.

Corporate (Current Employee)
Norton, MA

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNot open Sundays.Roger Patkin is great. Durkin is a tool.

ConsCorperate lies since the take over by Advanced. Upper managment is awful. The talk how they cant afford Christmas Bonus then post an email five minutes later how it's been a record breaking profit year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people better and make relistic goals. Give people that work there a chance instead of just bringing buddies in from Advanced.

Past warehouse experience did not factor in to pay or position.

I have been working at Autopart International

ProsCompany will be happy to keep you if you are a happy employee:

-who works hard
-is frugal with complaints
-works safely
-offers suggestions for improvement

ConsCompany disapproves of:
-being creative without approval (this ties into following SOP, if practices are not found in the SOP then it is wrong)

Under 40 hours in the work week.

After the last employee annual review, all staff received the same raise regardless of performance.
Company pays the position and not the person.

Ideas given to the company on how to improve on production, safety adjustments made to the SOP based on employee input are not met with any incentive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPizza parties, ice cream parties are a nice way to show employees that the company is doing well. Yes the company made a purchase and bought Carquest not from stock, but from cash. It's a great thing that the company is thriving and we are a part of it. But many employees are displeased that the company's growth isn't being felt amongst the crowd.
When employees contribute ideas that improve on safety of other employees, and the product, recognize it.
When employees give some input on practices that saves time and makes product have to exchange hands fewer times then recognize it.

People are great pay sucks!!!!

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)
Newark, NJ

I have been working at Autopart International full-time for more than a year

ProsI have fun working with the people I work with. Their all diverse and great to get along with.

ConsI only worked here to get me through college but the pay is horrendous for the about of work you do. Sometimes you leave later than 5:30 and you never get paid overtime smh.

Nice people but a lot of politics and bureaucracy

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Autopart International full-time

ProsGreat benefits and nice people. Treat employees respectfully and all seem to have good intentions.

ConsChaos and panic when district isn't performing. Bad decisions at the district level.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen personnel mistakes are made acknowledge and correct them, don't go into denial.

Former Driver Marlboro

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Autopart International full-time for less than a year

ProsCo workers ok. $46 weekly benefit cost ok if your making $700.

ConsNo overtime. Almost childish management of hours worked. You cant afford health coverage of $46 weekly at $9/per

Worked for Autopart International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Autopart International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Autopart International CEO Roger Patkin. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Autopart International employees.