Autopart International

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
1.8

Roger Patkin

Not what they make it out to be!

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Autopart International part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having customers who will hook you up with discounted work on your personal vehicle; Discounted prices on parts; Flexible scheduling

Cons

Management above the store manager suck; been here for over a year and still have yet to see a raise; you get yelled at for their mistake or the customers mistake; when they have a position open they don't ever promote from within the company

Promote from within the company! There are a bunch of drivers who would love to move up to a counter position when one opens! Give raises at least once a year! I mean living off of $9.00/hour is not going to pay the bills or support a family!

A company lost.

I have been working at Autopart International

Pros

Very good from Store Managers down. 100 percent wholesale in farmington

Cons

Money wasted on DM, ADM, DSM and especially RVP posistions. they are glorified cheerleaders do not assist locations and blow smoke up your butt. You better not go she ate a good salary because you'll never get a raise.

Open your door leave the ivory tower go see where the people that are making you money. Actually try to be part of the team.

Not the same as it was. Going down hill. Since advanced bought us it has been a battle. Horrible leadership.

Current Employee - Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Salem, NH

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not open on Sundays.

Cons

My immediate boss is great the the higher up the ladder you go they become more and more stupid. You are just a number. They wouldnt even care if you died. They lie about hiring with in. Fake job posts. Poor quality. I wouldnt put there parts on my worst enemies car. Health insurance is horrible. You are better off without it.

Traet your people like Todd Patkin did.

Was fun in the beginning, now it's just a pull the fire alarm and hurry it up.

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with at store level and customers, discounts on parts.

Cons

Upper management has no clue in this district, it is one catastrophe after another and nothing ever gets done.
    Corporate is either blind, doesn't know, or doesn't care.

Listen to us about what is going on, some of us truly like working for the company but we need your help to get things fixed, especially when the DM is clueless. Quit pulling the fire alarm, plan things out. if you want to run a new promotion, program, specials, whatever give us the knowledge in advance so we can do it right the first time. Raises would be nice, I am tired of hearing "your bonus is your raise"

BEWARE

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

company car
    flexible time off
    p-card
    manager
    ability to work from home

Cons

Promised salary was not given, and no one seems to care or want to do anything about it.
    Current salary randomly cut by 15% with no explination.
    Expense reports never reimbursed.
    No commissions paid even as a top rep.

Will Promise you the world and turn on you in a second

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People in the stores, very little retail business.

Cons

Bonus plan is a joke, forget about getting a pay raise no matter how loyal of an employee you have been. They will hire new managers at a higher pay then people who have been there for 10 plus years. Ask anyone in the northeast regions if they are happy? In the last year I have seen everyone from drivers to district managers with anywhere from 10 to 20 years under their belts leave. Does this sound like a solid company? Forget about promoting within, they will hire boneheads from outside companies rather then promote the hard working people who already work for them. Don't forget about the minimum 52 hour weeks and long weeks at 60 and more micro management then you've ever seen.

Promote from within. Give the current employees some sort of incentive to stay and justify their ridiculous 50 plus weeks without any hope of a pay raise. How about a reasonable bonus plan? Worry less about spreadsheets and more about what made Foreign Auto Part did to appeal to advance. SELL PARTS and GROW BUSINESS.

Just spinning your wheels with this one...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norton, MA

I worked at Autopart International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the main asset to AI.

Cons

Benefits are horrible, compensation is below grade, time off policies are flexible, and office culture is overall pretty good.

Start putting the people into the equation and take the numbers out. People are the main reason this company got to where it is. From your store people to your office people, everyone had a hand in it. The Patkin's knew that and respected that. They took care of the people that worked hard and it drove everyone to work harder. Once it was purchased by AAP, conditions began to deteriorate, and have only gained momentum downward ever since. Profit is the sole driving factor, and the general feeling is that anyone can be replaced by someone cheaper who will do more. People are leaving and work is being spread around to other people whom are already overworked. And then they wonder why nobody is happy... More work for less pay, and while we are at it, let's keep taking the benefits away. Need I say more?

YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING BETTER, TRUST ME

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

people you work with are great. good discount on parts

Cons

pay stays the same unless you get promoted or quit. no raises ever. district management is even worse. you get micro managed all the time and if you dont demolish your numbers you get even more to do. they kiss the rear end of all these huge chain accounts and forget the little guy.

start thinking about your employees, the amount of people that quit is insane. eventually people will not work for you no matter what you offer. you treat drivers like crap and then complain when they quit, the drivers are the face of the company and you all shaft them left and right

You will only last a few years....

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work alongside are great. Good communication down the ladder. Benefits are good. There is a bonus plan in place, but can be difficult to acheive. Unless you DESTROY your numbers needed to achieve bonus, the bonus you will most likely get is a pittance.

Cons

-FORGET EVER GETTING A RASIE. Seriously, no matter how hard you work, how many hours you work a week (6 day weeks, almost 60 hours a week), and then go to meetings at night/weekends on top of it, or by how much you beat your sales goals, you WILL NOT GET A RAISE. An Assisstant Manager in this district is/was making more than his Store Manager!!!

-You will be micro-managed beyond belief. You will be expected to follow a sales process, regardless of whether or not it positively or negatively effects your sales. If you are beating your sales goals, District Managment will treat you like a king, no matter what else you may or may not be doing. If you are not, you will be ridden daily and be given MORE work to do, regardless of how hard you are already working or how much you have to do.

-Both of my above points are reflected in the turnover. Good People/Managers are berated and ridden until they either quit, or just stop caring and get demoted/fired.

Every store is in a different territory, with different employees, and with different competition. You cannot have every store do the EXACT SAME THING and expect it to have the same results company-wide.

Cost of living goes up, that's just a fact of life. Everything increases: rent, cost of food, utilities, fuel to commute to work, etc... What doesn't increase in over 5 years? YOUR PAYCHECK. Not even a little bit, and then Corporate has the audacity to send constant emails about how well we as a company are doing, record sales this, record profit that. Yes, there is a bonus in place, but you can't/shouldn't have to count on bonuses to pay your monthly expenses.

Challenging, demanding, and rewarding for the right person.

I have been working at Autopart International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to work with some of the best trained people in the wholesale auto part industry. Customer base is for the most part more knowledgeable than your average DIY mechanic. Decent pay, 401k, medical and dental, stock benefits, bonus program. Major flexibility at the store level to reach sales goal.

Cons

Corporate has no idea how the auto industry works. Convoluted POS system. Long hours with no overtime. You can be expected to work six days a week. For 11 hours a day with no lunch break. Sales goals can be unrealistic. Don't expect upper management to help much at the store. They are usually stretched to thin to be effective. You are expected to use a time consuming and quasi-effective sale process all day long, whether it works or not. Employee duties and responsibilities are not clearly laid out. Expect to be written up if you take time calling out sick or dealing with family issues. Despite what they say, family only matters when it is convenient to sales. You must drink the Kool-aid!

Stop killing the messenger when there is a problem. Also leave the stores alone if they are doing well. If it isn't broke don't fix it! Follow through when there is an issue. Give us two days off once in a while, or at least a lunch break. Ease up on the pressure (we are selling auto parts not saving lives) and your people won't burn out and quit all the time.