Autotrader Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. The culture has changed

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well compensated, more to sell as company has grown through acquisition

Cons

Was a sales through service model, now sell, sell, sell and see what sticks. More micromanagement in last year

Advice to Management

Work on getting the car shoppers more engaged by upgrading the website, an engaged shopper = happy dealer clients follow company values, not just lip service.

good before the red tape kicked in

Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are dedicated to making the customers grow their business

Cons

Too many managers to effectively get things done. As it matured there are more and more hurdles of red tape with lack of innovation

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from ... turn on a dime not like the huge ocean liner that takes weeks to get approvals

3. Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Definitely worth exploring

Cons

Political at times but with good intent

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people. Strong focus on training and development. Lots of opportunity to move around - need to build a strong network within the company Competitive salary and benefits. If you like change, this company will keep you busy and challenged.

Cons

If you don't like a lot of change, this is not the place for you. Direction and focus changes rapidly and regularly. Still a young company so they are figuring out how to retain entrepreneurial culture yet establish consistency and structure. This can be frustrating. Work life balance can be tough in some roles/departments.

Great Company with lots of Perks

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career Development, Benefits, Company Culture, Community Service

Cons

The environment is very fast pacing and constantly changing.

Great place to work. Maturing company.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Approachable, down-to-earth employees and management. - Growth opportunities for those who seek it. - Occasional work from home.

Cons

- Change happens often. - Each department seems to have it's own culture, some more formal with less work/life balance than others. - Young company that grew very fast. Catching up on rules, policies; determining employee perks, etc.

If you like repetitive tasks and netflix this job is for you

Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Media Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Autotrader full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, fast internet, fancy break room you'll never have time to use. MARTA accessible. You can work from home part time. Community outreach. Amazingly talented people.

Cons

Here's the thing, for someone coming straight out of school this is a golden opportunity. Aside from all of the micro-managing, complete lack of creativity (except for on the corporate teams), and minimal career growth this is a great gig. It literally requires only enough brain power to answer emails, create the worst kind of advertisements you've ever seen, and watch netflix or hulu. No really, I caught up on so much online video content I ran out of things to watch. Your hours shift depending on the timezones you serve, which can be a hassle if you enjoy having early evenings. The culture they have is interesting but pretty weak. In my opinion, the company lost it's spark about 5 or 6 years ago. Now it's corporate juggernaut, that promotes on responsibility rather than ability. If you've had a decent career and are looking at autotrader, stick to the corporate jobs, anything in the Web / Design / and IT departments is pretty much just killing time.

Advice to Management

Promote change in your organization, you have such potential to be Apple-Esque and be a major pillar in the Atlanta community, but you throw it away to keep the managers happy with controlling the bureaucracy. The talent you have is completed wasted by red tape, needless meetings, and remote I was incredibly excited to work at autotrader, and left counting my blessings for a better opportunity. While I was there, after having done the same thing everyday for months on end, the only glimmer of hope I had was hearing about how others had moved to corporate teams years before. What broke the camels back and sent me looking for new opportunities was finding out people in my department had in some cases been in the same position for 5 or 6 years and nothing truly on the horizon.

Great place to work depending on what department you are in

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great building, awesome gym, cool co-workers, good location and decent pay.

Cons

Constant change to the point where you never know what the next month will bring. A lot of managers don't understand what their employees do so they a poor representatives when change is coming down the pipeline. It's all about who you know, not necessarily how well you perform.

Advice to Management

Change up the hiring process. We have hired some major idiots for management positions. Obviously we're not asking the right interview questions.

10. Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and harness your skills

Cons

sometimes political in terms of whether or not to be transparent with internal clients and dealers

11. A good company that value employees and community service

Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Autotrader full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of opportunities if you are having the right skill-sets. Continue grow and making profit with low competitions on the market.

Cons

Many changes in the recent years including top executives changes, business unites re-aliments. The changes are inevitable and maybe it's works out to be best for the business as a whole.

RSS Feed </> Embed