Autry National Center

2.7

W. Richard West Jr.

Interesting place to work

I worked at Autry National Center

Pros

Working with the American Indian Community

Cons

limited budgets and work load

Some of the best people in the world work here, truly a family - but the management is horrible

I worked at Autry National Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, really amazing smart people who are committed to the organization

Cons

Management is really horrible. President is never on-site and the senior staff is completely out of touch with much of what is needed. Many of the members of senior staff need management training VERY badly. They talk about forward thinking and planning ahead, but this is a crisis based company where they do nothing but react to the latest issue. Pay cuts and lay offs are a regular occurrence.

Train your upper level senior staff members. They are heartless and have almost no skills in managing people. Really really awful.

Good. No Mobility

I have been working at Autry National Center

Pros

Beautiful work setting. Excellent programming and opportunities for professional development. Fun subject matter. Driving to Griffith Park is not the worst place to drive to every day.

Cons

part-time hours, no upward mobility. Consistently take work home in order to finish curriculum development projects. Treated at times like Education is the least important department in the museum.

Beautiful Organization - Passionate, Committed People

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Autry National Center as a contractor

Pros

I loved working at this museum. First of all, the art is beautiful and I loved working around such creative expression. They put on some wonderful events too. I admired the commitment to the community of artists and people, the staff, overall was kind, committed and seemed to enjoy their work. The location is very accessible, and I think the Administrators are really great people. There is a balance there where work and life are valued.

Cons

Unfortunately, because it's non-profit, the pay is on the low side. They recently downsized and cut salaries too.

Committed team, difficult image issues, organization in flux

I worked at Autry National Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are deeply committed to the organization's educational and content mission. It is very well-regarded in the field, though not well-known by the public. There are opportunities to try creative approaches, and there are many talented staffers in the curatorial and design areas. The management team is implementing a new organizational and new ideas to attract a younger austructuredience. The new CEO is well-regarded and dynamic.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are nearly non-existent in most departments. The funding plan is still in development, and it is unclear how the organization is to grow. Staff development is strictly an individual pursuit. There have been three CEOs in the past four years.

A lot of potential here

Current Employee - Print Production Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Print Production Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Autry National Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, creative, interesting people. World class collection of artifacts. Excellent programming.

Cons

Could use improvement in systems, organization, communication.

Wonderful people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Autry National Center

Pros

Wonderful people & strong collection

Cons

Culture is slow moving and resistant to improvement

The worst job I've had in 25 years...was better treated in retail & fast food service.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Autry National Center

Pros

A free museum membership, gift store and restaurant discount to all employees. The on-site restaurant is superior.

Cons

Low pay. No opportunity for advancement. No communication with upper level staff members. The Human Resources department is the worst ever! I am a seasoned employee with over 20 years of office and fundraising experience. The best they could pay me was $14.hr. After one year of busting my ass I received a 2% raise. Yes, folks that is .25/hour. The top level managers receive $150,000 - $250,000/year but my part-time job only paid 1/10th of that. Plus, no benefits. If they sent the FT staff home early for holidays they thought they were heros; but to the PT and Hourly staff that meant our paychecks were cut.

Consider ALL Employees when making decisions like raises, holiday office closings and bonuses. Just because someone is PT or Hourly does not mean they should be treated like a second class citizen. A 2% across the board salary increase means $3K or $5K annually to you; but only .25/hour to a PT or Hourly employee. Just because the economy sucks does not mean you can take advantage of your employees and give them low wages; and tell them they should be happy to have a job. This is why I left. This is why I saw employees dropping like flies when I worked there.