Autry National Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

W. Richard West Jr.

Good. No Mobility

ProsBeautiful work setting. Excellent programming and opportunities for professional development. Fun subject matter. Driving to Griffith Park is not the worst place to drive to every day.

Conspart-time hours, no upward mobility. Consistently take work home in order to finish curriculum development projects. Treated at times like Education is the least important department in the museum.

Beautiful Organization - Passionate, Committed People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI loved working at this museum. First of all, the art is beautiful and I loved working around such creative expression. They put on some wonderful events too. I admired the commitment to the community of artists and people, the staff, overall was kind, committed and seemed to enjoy their work. The location is very accessible, and I think the Administrators are really great people. There is a balance there where work and life are valued.

ConsUnfortunately, because it's non-profit, the pay is on the low side. They recently downsized and cut salaries too.

Committed team, difficult image issues, organization in flux

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people here are deeply committed to the organization's educational and content mission. It is very well-regarded in the field, though not well-known by the public. There are opportunities to try creative approaches, and there are many talented staffers in the curatorial and design areas. The management team is implementing a new organizational and new ideas to attract a younger austructuredience. The new CEO is well-regarded and dynamic.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are nearly non-existent in most departments. The funding plan is still in development, and it is unclear how the organization is to grow. Staff development is strictly an individual pursuit. There have been three CEOs in the past four years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of potential here

Print Production Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSmart, creative, interesting people. World class collection of artifacts. Excellent programming.

ConsCould use improvement in systems, organization, communication.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wonderful people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWonderful people & strong collection

ConsCulture is slow moving and resistant to improvement

The worst job I've had in 25 years...was better treated in retail & fast food service.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA free museum membership, gift store and restaurant discount to all employees. The on-site restaurant is superior.

ConsLow pay. No opportunity for advancement. No communication with upper level staff members. The Human Resources department is the worst ever! I am a seasoned employee with over 20 years of office and fundraising experience. The best they could pay me was $14.hr. After one year of busting my ass I received a 2% raise. Yes, folks that is .25/hour. The top level managers receive $150,000 - $250,000/year but my part-time job only paid 1/10th of that. Plus, no benefits. If they sent the FT staff home early for holidays they thought they were heros; but to the PT and Hourly staff that meant our paychecks were cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ALL Employees when making decisions like raises, holiday office closings and bonuses. Just because someone is PT or Hourly does not mean they should be treated like a second class citizen. A 2% across the board salary increase means $3K or $5K annually to you; but only .25/hour to a PT or Hourly employee. Just because the economy sucks does not mean you can take advantage of your employees and give them low wages; and tell them they should be happy to have a job. This is why I left. This is why I saw employees dropping like flies when I worked there.

Worked for Autry National Center? Contribute to the Community!