AvMed Health Plans

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael P. Gallagher

Really great place to work

Claims (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsThe time off is good. Family oriented gym on site with discounts all over the city for others places they value and push community invovement and of course healthy lifestyles they offer PTO, 401K, HSA, and extended illness benefits and around the first of the year they give out bonuses. The new CEO is making some great changes.

ConsThe health benefits arent the best but at least they offer them. The open door policy isnt open,and supervisors discuss employees within ear shot of other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should pay more attention to the supervisors, training should be more consistent.

Great

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Prosfriendly and professional staff to work with

Consthe location in Miami gets fluded when it rains

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

What a great experience!!!

Sales (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsLearned the art of pontificating. How to mind read your manager. Mastering the skills of getting poor communication and keeping my reports in the dark.

All great experiences and I am most grateful! Thank you!

ConsNone at all, just great people. They actually had a smile on their face when they fired me.
    How I ask, can you find greater love and affection!
     The only con I have is that I'm no longer there to feel the warm isolation and no feedback from Senior management. Mostly due to NO sales.
    Nobody's fault but mine, even if we were 35% higher than the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay humble. You all look wonderful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership in South Florida poor and unethical; company goals and strategies not aligned, communication fragmented.

Leadership (Former Employee) South Florida, FL

ProsThe salary is good when you first start, and employees are nice.

ConsCompany values are not adhered to, decisions are made haphazardly and according to who the SVPs favor. Systems are at least 5-6 years behind, and not integrated with each other. Leadership has not adopted a culture of continuous process improvement, and employees are overworked and not empowered to make decisions. Turnover is constant, and senior leadership in Gainesville is not proactive, nor willing to address the illegal and unethical actions that take place by management and HR in South Florida. It is shocking that this company is still in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold management accountable for adhering to performance management guidelines, and adopt a strong and transparent ethics policy within the workplace. Invest in Six Sigma and Process Improvement.

Pleasant, friendly, and work-focused.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs someone who was hired without any prior experience, the management of AvMed was very willing to help close the gap and offer up any free time to tinker and learn new programs. Because of this, it goes without saying that they were very tolerant of questions and were also within reach should help be needed.

ConsCareer advancement seemed stagnant. They lacked intermediary steps in the hierarchy that would otherwise help to aim for any real advancement within the short- and mid- future timeline.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep fostering the camaraderie that I found so enchanting. It made working there very pleasant.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Research

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdequate health plan, good people unappreciated by management

ConsPoor understanding of health care..management is stupefyingly short sighted

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your physicians..

Uncompetitive rates.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsA clean, professional work environment.

ConsAvMed's insurance premiums are almost always significantly higher than other carriers' rates, which makes selling nearly impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer competitive rates to create revenue generating opportunities.

Overall an excellent company.

ProsNew upper level management diligently working to update systems and processes. Focus on improving star ratings. Focus on member satisfaction and improved outcomes.

ConsPoor work life balance. Inconsistent employee evaluations based on quality, contribution to improve departmental processes. Poor to fair training opportunities due to employee work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are sacrificing quality by overworking your managerial and supervisory staff. Hire additional quality employees with exemplary work ethic to prevent turnover.

AvMed, the good and the not so quite good, but ok

Manager (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsNon profit health plan, strong values. There is a cultural shift going on with the health plan since 2009, a lot of new blood has been introduced to the leadership, and it is having some positive results.

ConsDisastrous 2011 financials resulted in no raises or bonuses in 2012. But company is profitable again, and raises and bonuses are back on track.

There are a lot of people in the company who have been there 10, 15 20 years, and that "old guard" is behind the times and need to be weeded out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving, you are on the right track.

People are nice to your face, but...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsGets you in the health care career field door.
    Great pay rate when you are first hired.
    Your co-workers are nice
    You learn a lot about health insurance.
    Great for people who do not want to go to college

ConsAvMed's customer service department is very understaffed and overworked. AvMed has a high turn-over rate due to the fact that the employees are treated as tools and over worked. If a new training class of 5 people is hired, then in about 3 months half of the people would leave. Most people will just leave without any warning. The middle and upper management just have a high school education, and do not realize the importance of a college eduation. Your manager does not really want to work with you, and pretends to care when she does not. All of the managers do not get along with each other, and they tend to gossip about other employees and other managers. AvMed wants their employees to work hard, nights, weekends, but is not willing to let people off for vacation due to the fact of understaffing. AvMed will promote that they will help the employees who want to move up in management, but if the "inner circle of people" do not like you will not get promoted. Avmed'scall center management would rather hire people who they like vs people who can do the job. Working for a health care insurance company you would expect that that the employee gets great medical coverage, well the medical coverage is not great, but I guess it is better then having nothing. The calls are graded on what you could have done better vs how you actually handled the call, so for an employee trying to do well, this makes it hard to get a good adverage because if you forget to offer to give a provider directory or the website, you will lose 10 points. Also, there is no consistant way on how every call is evaluated, and the managers will say that there is, but in all actuallity it depends on how the evaluator feels while listening to your call. AvMed wants to be at the top like other insurance companies like BCBS, but the fact of the manner is that AvMed is a small company, and they need to hire more people to help out the staff that is already there. Avmed also promotes that they really care about their employees, but after the smoke clears you will really see how much AvMed really "cares" about their employees. Go in with caution, great pay, but there is a reason on why they pay this well. Good for students or for people who need money, just expect to last there no more than 2 years. You can last there longer but if the management does not like you, they will find a reason to fire you.

Worked for AvMed Health Plans? Contribute to the Community!