Avago Technologies

Profile Unclaimed

Not as bad as it sounds

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Aggressive management
    Cost focused
    Great stock value
    Rewards performance

Cons

Not so great benefits
    R&D investment is not promising

Could consider rebranding to attract talent.

Poor place to work in US, outsourcing engineering functions to lower cost countries is a priority

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

The only real pro is that they have a more generous bonus structure than LSI. There are no real positives to working here other than that.

Cons

The primary focus since we were taken over has been to move every possible engineering function to a lower cost company. Outside of the bonus structure, every other area of compensation is poorer that the previous owner. They do not foster collaboration between business units. It is an every NU for itself culture even when that creates wasteful duplication. They seem to be cutting costs at the expense of the long term viability of the company, almost as if the plan to sell the BU in the near future.

Profit first.

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

Work with Industry Leading Technology with a dominant position in most Markets. Technologies are complimentary and can work together.

Cons

Shareholders are primary focus. Customers and employees are last priority. Layoffs are routine to reduce salaries and benefits. Customers experience arbitrary price increases when Avago perceives a competitive advantage.

Establish a collaborative work environment by acknowledging team success. Work with customers toward win-win business agreements.

32% approval rating for the current CEO is accurate

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

I worked for LSI Corporation, a fantastic pro-employee company, rich with talent and R&D potential. Packaged out as soon as the deal closed, and extremely happy about it.

Cons

This company bought LSI, and sold it off in chunks, simply a business transaction.

There are some good people that were left behind, and are miserable. I don't think it will be long before they get an awesome opportunity elsewhere.

Leadership needs to remember they are only successful if they have loyal employees. When people no longer wish to work for you, you'll also be out. It will be hard for you as a leader, to repair your image with your employees if you appear to have no backbone. Use your voice, if it doesn't work or they won't listen, find a new respected role elsewhere before it's too late.

Avago masquerades as a tech company

Current Employee - IC Design Engineer
    Current Employee - IC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good bonuses. A lot of good people haven't left yet.

Cons

Avago wants to be a private equity firm: buy up companies, rip them up, squeeze all the profits out, and ignore the long term. No investment in future technology, no investment in employees' careers.

Just keep doing what you're doing - I'm sure Wall Street will love it and you'll be very succesful. My advice to employees wanting a career in technology: get out now.

CMOS ASIC Design Center in Ft. Collins

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Comfortable office with a few nice bene's. Dates for deliverables clearly identified. Yearly bonus is generous.

Cons

Performance review is a joke - does not reflect employee's (required) self-evaluation; does not include goals set by employee. No salary increase for (5+) years citing "industry standards." But after a recent merger, it was learned that Avago paid well under what other companies paid. Forced to take new assignment well outside of field of expertise. Middle management are simply the ditch-diggers for upper management who don't value employees as persons. Layoffs involve persons over 50 almost exclusively.

Work-life balance is a catch-phrase (only). Emails from customers, coworkers and managements at all times of the day, night, and weekends, suggest that 100% dedication weekdays is not nearly enough.

Middle management does not have an independent thought - merely reflecting what upper managers dictate without any pushback. Outsourcing many jobs.

Consider an employee's background and interests when making assignments. Listen to employee's suggestions during performance review.

Worst HR of any company I've ever worked for and not effective. Taking HR-mandidated training several times per year is not a replacement for a staffed HR department. Staff up HR and make it a real investment instead of token place-holder for handling layoffs.

Great People and Technology

I worked at Avago Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very successful company, with a hint of the old HP/Agilent culture. Sharp engineers. Although "fabless", still has Fab's, in CO even. Solid focus on quality.

Cons

People work very hard and long, as is typical with any companies involved with consumer electronics. With the big companies driving their business comes big pressure for performance price and delivery.

Spread your wealth a little more equitably

Not the place to work as a young engineer

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer
    Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer

I have been working at Avago Technologies

Pros

Good company to work for if you want a an engineering job where you do next to no work and collect a paycheck. There's amazing work/life balance because you'll likely work only 25-30 hours per week since there is no work to do.

Cons

The business model of Avago Technologies is to purchase mature businesses and then drive them into the ground through extremely aggressive layoffs, R&D cuts, and project cuts.

The CEO has said himself that he does not care what we sell, he does not care about his employees, and he does not care about engineering. All he cares about is making the AVGO stock price go up. Avago does this by purchasing mature businesses and then running them 40-60% cheaper, effectively running them into the ground but turning massive operating profit.

How do you run a successful and established business 40-60% cheaper? You layoff half the work-force, you cut all projects, you cut benefits, and you put a "hold" on promotions and raises. My company LSI was purchased by Avago about a year ago now. I've been told that I have absolutely no opportunity to move up in the company and that I will not get a salary raise for the next 3-5 years. This is because I make significantly more money than other entry level engineers in Avago, so they need to "even me out".

I would not recommend working for Avago under any circumstance, especially if you're a new engineer like me. This is not a company that is established on cutting edge products, hard work, and good engineers. It is established on cannibalizing businesses and conglomerating them into one company to make the magic investing equation "1+1=3" work.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avago Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice pay, bonus and work environment

Cons

Teams are spread too thin.

Think long term and invest on future products

End Of An Era

I worked at Avago Technologies

Pros

While working for LSI Corporation, the overall compensation was competitive, the work environment was great, the perks were good, the leadership was good, in general, and the the best part was working was such a great and diverse employee base.

Cons

After being purchased by Avago, there was little information on direction by upper management. Morale was very low, and a lot of employees left, on their own accord, for better opportunities. There was mass layoffs on the legacy LSI side. Whole divisions were sold off for pennies on the dollar.