Avago Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

Avago Technologies President, CEO, and Director Hock E. Tan

Hock E. Tan

Pros
  • Smaller company with professional work environment (in 7 reviews)

• The work is challenging but not overwhelming (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management only care about profit/loss, not treating employees as asset (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management with no empathy towards employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Very dissapointing

Machine Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsGood cooperative coworkers. decent pay.

ConsI was fired from Avago, because you simply cant' make someone's performance depend on someonelse's willingness (UNWILLINGNESS) to train them. They have NO training program! NONE. As a matter of fact if you are on there internal network and click on the "Training" link, you get a blank page! Senior techs are reluctant to share the 'tribal knowledge' they have acquired over years of trial and error efforts bumbling along with no support from management.

Mature company with not much to do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone I interacted with was friendly and inviting... I didn't stay long enough to learn about the training opportunities

ConsThe office culture is very vanilla... the company has an established product pipeline and everyone seemed focused on releasing those with very iterative updates.

Nice place to work at, helpful team. Challenging work. A lot to learn from a very well-qualified team.

Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe type of work is challenging. My team was very helpful. They helped me a lot as an Intern.

ConsNothing really to mention (maybe because I was an Intern).

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more career opportunities for Interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fare company.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsFlexibility. Company is growing. Employees are reasonably treated. Company's benefit are among the leaders in the same industry. Close to residential area.

ConsToo many inexperienced managers. Most of managers are promoted from a certain group of people. Employee's performance eval is too simple and promotions are not related to the accomplishments. Too much politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetup a system to get employee's real feedback about their job.

Thanks for the ride.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsYou'll meet some great people.

ConsDepending on what department you work in, expect some long hours. The health benefits are not what they used to be. The turnaround in hiring is high. One day you see someone. The next day you don't. Benefits are not what they used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep cleaning house. Remove those who are stagnant and have not amounted to anything in their 20+ year transition. Change is good. Out with the old ideas. In with the new ideas.

Middle Management

Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Great colleagues, and cherishing the little that is left from Agilent/HP days. Environment WAS good, but getting no better. As long as senior management ridiculous targets does not trickled down, pressure on work is manageable.
    - Company makes lots of money, and appears to be a well managed company to investors
    - Working hours is good.

Cons- Some greedy senior management, that are all afraid of the CEO.
    - Accountant driven company to the extreme, that only cares about the bottom line. Everything is about stock and shareholders value, and little if nothing about employee value.
    - Ultra cost sensitive senior management, especially the CEO, that perform cost cutting measures at the slightest lowering of revenue
    - Senior management reward themselves handsomely, with the CEO and VPs getting all the cream. Little trickle down to lower levels.
    - Some senior management sets performance targets too high to show off year on year, but never achieved it, resulting in poorer bonus for the people. However, due to the cost savings generated by NOT paying deserving bonus, senior management possibly gets rewarded even more.
    - Little connection between some senior management and lower levels. All they talk about is making buckets of money, and making excuses for cost cutting/savings. Does not care about staff morale or feedback
    - Highly sandwiched middle management, that is constantly under extreme pressure to deliver, yet equipped with little or nothing to do so.
    - Low pay and pay increment compared with other companies

Advice to Senior Management- Please treat lower level employee as humans that deliver the goods.
    - Review the "hire and fire" culture. Good people are not commodities.
    - Engineering is the core of the company, but is eroding fast due to short-sightedness of chasing short term gain.
    - Stop compartmentalizing issues, and pretend that all is well. Morale is low for years, and don't keep equating everything with easy to twist statistics and numbers.

Where Dreams (and Careers) Go To Die

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the veteran employees are very talented and intelligent former HP employees who are innovative, hard-working, and are a genuine pleasure to work with. They are smart people working diligently under very challenging circumstances.

ConsCEO and VPs rule with intimidation and fear. It is a caustic environment where relentless pressure is placed on making the numbers each quarter while resources atrophy to maximize corporate profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can motivate with respect, instead of fear, getting more productivity, creativity, and commitment out of your employees over the long run, and still produce amazing financials.

Challenging work in a fast paced environment.

Senior Manager, Finance (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery flat and lean org structure, which sometimes means more opportunities if you can excel. Friendly coworkers and approachable senior management. It's a place you can learn a lot.

ConsVery cost oriented. Lower pay but longer working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people well, matching their contributions.

Lack of competent management creates chaotic miserable work atmosphere.

ProsDecent benefits package, and job security (very hard to get fired from this job).

ConsThey beat the care out of you very quickly. Those who try to work hard and get ahead will soon see that all this effort is in vain as it further promotes the lazy to enjoy what they have. Management see all this and does nothing, everything is so tied up around people having enough accountability which results in nothing happening. Morale is beaten down in a matter of months. Wages are not fairly distributed and expect to be training someone who will be making more than you. Management does not listen to problems but simply discards them, they listen to people but it is in one ear and out the other with false promises left and right. People quickly learn to take advantage of the system furthering this downward spiral this company is on.. Unless some major changes are made to the management system (maybe someway to review managers performance?) it will continue to be a soul-wrenching place to work for. The package they offer will lure people in from all around to continue to oil this machine, stay to long and you get trapped.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, stop giving us the run around, and read about & learn to use positive reinforcement.

Plenty of opportunity to grow if you have the stuff in you

Pros- Surrounded by some brilliant people
    - Very collaborative atmosphere
    - Laid back yet leaders in the market

Cons- Difficult to implement a new or novel idea
    - Kinda stuck with that hp thing

Worked for Avago Technologies? Contribute to the Community!