Availity

Add Photos

Russ Thomas

Growing Company with Opportunities

Dallas, TX

ProsThe company is growing fast, but there is still, in my opinion, a small company feel to it. The technology group is one of the fastest, if the not the fastest, growing group in the company and within the group, are really pushing to do agile scrum the right way. Working in team rooms helps promote collaboration, teamwork mentality, and efficiencies in software development.

ConsSome teams are co-located (Dallas/Jax/Indy) which can sometimes reduce efficiency and present challenges that come with long distances.

Good company to work for

Richardson, TX

ProsLocation is great. Office is very conducive to collaboration
    Salary and benefits are competitive
    Leadership is receptive to new ideas
    Ample opportunites for training

ConsWorking in a matrixed organization can be challenging - not bad just differernt

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees
    Let's stay the course with Scrum - it is the right approach for our business challenges

Excellent environment. Perfect work / life balance.

Developer II (Current Employee)
    Richardson, TX

ProsThe company is growing and there is a lot of opportunities for professional growth. Good salary and benefits. People are helpful and welcoming. I can tell about the scrum room that I work on, the team is really a team. I am not talking just about the technical but the Product Owner, Scrum Master and QA too. I really enjoy waking up and coming to work.
    As far as I have seen everybody is understanding.
    If you want to come and work here be prepared to be part of the team and work in a true Agile environment.

I recommend.

ConsI haven't had any challenge that would make me say that is a cons to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work. I am glad to be part of the team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a good company

ProsGood company overall
    Excellent top leadership
    Good people
    Healthcare market is growing

ConsMid-level managers not synched across departments
    Suffering the dreaded post M&A hangover, so morale can be an issue
    Trying to make a move out of the commoditized transaction market

Leadership changes, conflicted business strategy, and long term culture problems caused high turnover of key staff.

Richardson, TX

ProsThis is an ok place for beginning technologists to get a start. There are positions in the call center, QA, and development with room for advancement. Availity is also a decent forum for technology discussions.

ConsAvaility has had long term culture problems between its home office in Jacksonville, FL and its acquired/merged offices in Dallas and Indianapolis. Many of the top ranking developers and key technology staff have moved on (due to dissatisfaction), or were forced out after the acquisitions. The business models from these offices were also reinvented leading to changes in the product and, in many cases, dissatisfied customers. This has lead to a high job dissatisfaction rate for customer support staff in these offices. Turn over rates are extremely high in these locations.

Top heavy and top down leadership style.

Yearly bonuses and raises for individual employees are frequently reduced by senior leadership, regardless of numbers the supervisor/manager awards.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the mantra for Availity is that of "trust", in reality most employees outside of Jacksonville do not trust the company. This is indicative in the results of the numerous culture surveys conducted over the years. Trust is something that cannot come about from a training class, it has to be earned. Training employees on "trust" (which cannot be trained) actually works against the concept of trust. It might create a perception that employees are more trustful. However, a false positive like this, effectively undermines employee trust.

Leadership and Company lack a direction

Richardson, TX

ProsCo-works in the trench with you are great to work with. Pay is better than most.

ConsCompany and senior leadership lack a solid direction. It is often un-clear what the company is trying to do over all. No clear vision for what the company wants to be. The company is going in too many directions which is causing confusion to the lower staff. The technology staff has too much control over what products are built. The business side should drive changes that meet customer's needs. No true ROI on products. Pet projects are pushed in to make people look good but then no ROI is ever done to see if the product produces the expected revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine clear vision of what the company is beyond 3 months. Tie all projects and changes to ROI. The product staff should report to business side not to technology leaders. Stop letting technology drive product development. Start letting business and customers drive product development.

Great opportunities and work environment

Prosgreat industry and timing due to changes in healthcare
    great working environment in Indianapolis
    growth opportunities

Conslack of strong visionary leadership
    cultures differ by location
    internal disorganization at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on client satisfaction and innovation to keep and retain great employees

An exciting ride so far!

Jacksonville, FL

ProsLeadership team is still fairly new and appears to be working very hard to do its best for this rapidly growing company, and right the wrongs of former management. Cultural differences among the 3 offices have been noted, and are being addressed. Great lines of communication throughout most places in this highly matrixed organization. Impressive efforts are made to really listen to employees and get them involved (compared to other employers I have had!), through activities like regular all-employee Pulse surveys, 360-surveys, quarterly all-company Town Hall meetings in all 3 offices, and periodic months-long org development workshops like Thriving in the Matrix, Disney Institute and Speed of Trust...all of which happened just in 2014!

ConsSuper intense and fast-paced company, with an unmistakable entrepreneurial spirit...not for everybody, as reflected in some of these comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Looking for a job--good place. Looking for a career--keep looking.

Richardson, TX

ProsGood Comp & Benefits. Nice facilities.

ConsVery political and siloed, poor culture and inconsistent between all 3 offices: IN more family oriented, TX small and sterile & FL stuffy.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have good people working for you. Look inward to cure your culture--be real people. HR should be retitled to Materials Management. We're not all cogs and an employee number.

Good

Client Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsStraight forward job, not to involved.

ConsDifficult to advance, management displayed subtle favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

Worked for Availity? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Availity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Availity CEO Russ Thomas. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Availity employees.