Avalara

Avalara Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated May 19, 2014

Scott McFarlane

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Like a fast pace and switching hats?

Manager (Current Employee)
    Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsMy time at Avalara has been like a return to the dot.com boom only at a company with a lot more business savvy. If you see a better way to do something, there isn't red tape getting in the way or barriers to change: make a case and do it. You might need to roll up your sleeves and make it happen but in my opinion being able to sit at the table to discuss strategy and then dive deep to make things happen is one of the reasons I find Avalara a great place to work. Successes are celebrated.

ConsThe pace is fast: that's pro and a con. So much is happening you hear talk about wanting to debrief as you run on to the next project.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to stop and look back so next time, we do even better!

best place I have ever worked

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe people here are smart and fun. Seriously a fun company. Beer on draft in the "tiki lounge" and the offices are baller. I split time between Seattle office and the Bainbridge location and while I was worried about the ferry it has been the coolest commute I have ever had. There is wifi on the boat and lots of Avalara people with me so I get work done or have meetings or just hangout with people.

The business is doing really well and has lots of opportunity ahead. The company's growth in size and product footprint means there is big interesting work to be done and lots opportunities for people to jump in. I've worked at companies before where you are always stepping on someone's toes. Not the case here.

I saw one of the other reviews here said something like “wants to be a startup but isn’t.” BS. Avalara is the biggest player in a market that is desperate for disruption. The company shipped a new product offering this month and 4 months ago their wasn’t a line of code written. Pretty cool.

ConsBecause of the company's growth in size and product footprint there is a lot of work to be done. While weekends are pretty free it definitely isn't a good fit for people looking for a 9 to 5 job in most parts of the company. Also, not a good fit for people that only want to do one thing or have ever said "that isn't my job." The frenetic pace can boarder on crazy at times.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't try to do too much

Company gets smarter and better with every hire

Management (Current Employee)
    Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsChallenging and vibrant place to work, building a real product that every business can use. We seem to attract and hire better and better people all the time. Company expects you to take ownership, has Big Hairy audacious goals

ConsStill need to train new people faster. As the company grows its harder to meet and know all the new people. The culture is important, and Avalara needs to ensure everyone new understands the reasons for the culture, and the goals and how they can impact them. Company needs more activities focused on meeting new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the vision

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What to Expect working at Avalara

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsCompany has needed products - not difficult to educate or sell. Because of the niche that the product holds, the Company will do very well.

ConsVery stressful. Company is run shooting from the hip with the President changing his mind almost every day - throwing spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks. No one talks to each other and no teamwork. A company of individuals with their heads down wearing earbuds.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a business plan. Have employees be part of the Company not just robots.

Happy, fulfilled, and engaged employee

Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsI have an amazing boss and my immediate team is just great. I am offered independence and autonomy in my work and I know that I have 100% support when I need it from anyone on my team. Open, transparent communication, fun, driven people - one of the most positive work environments I have ever had. The product is exceptional and driven by a highly intelligent, creative and innovative team. Everyone puts in their best effort and is able to stay playful while working hard.

ConsThe Seattle to Bainbridge commute is a little long, but it is also beautiful and peaceful and subsidized by the company. I don't really feel like I can complain about that, although I know that has been a point of contention for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication open as you have. Being given the responsibility of being a trusted member of the business keeps employees motivated and accountable. I do think there needs to be more female representation across the company, and I know this is something that the organization is working on now.

Flag Review
    Avalara Management responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing some of the things we see in our company that makes it so great. We continue to hire talented men and women to join our team. And, as for the commute…you are right, there are ... More

Exciting, challenging, great opportunities

Business Development (Current Employee)
    Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsIt's an exciting place to work if you like tackling projects of every size and shape. There are lots of smart people here and plenty of opportunity for someone who wants to grow their career and expand their boundaries.

ConsOf course there are growing pains. Strategies can change quickly. There is at times inefficiency in implementing process without key stakeholder approval, then conversely change is too slow because decisions are too consensus-driven. This is mostly expected I would say with other similar companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe practice more flexibility relaed to work at home etc.

Business Development

Business Development (Current Employee)
    Bainbridge Island, WA

ProsThe company culture is aces. Everyone is very driven and focused on their work, while still being friendly and open. Flexible work environment, can work from home when sick. There is a clear focus on results and growth, if you feel the same way you will fit right in. If not this might not be the best company for you. The company is growing which creates an exciting work atmosphere.

ConsThe pay is not yet commiserate with tec jobs on the other side of the water. This gap in pay is starting to shrink.
    They will probably need to expand their Seattle offices to accommodate growth and employee preferences.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you continue include the employees in the companies success

Avalara awesome culture and people

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people
    Culture
    Orange
    You can make a difference

ConsAddictive
    Consuming
    Competitive,
    Challenging
    Lots going on not a good fit for linear thinking people

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused

Many atypically smart, kind, dedicated putting in heroic efforts to solve a huge, real problem.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe people are the best thing about the company. While there is a little bit of the usual griping that goes on in any high-pressure workplace, it's striking just how warm-hearted, professional, and capable the workforce as a whole is.

The company itself is in a great position and on the right track but it's not a guaranteed thing. They are in a relatively uncontested position to dominate an greenfield SaaS space, but they will need to execute masterfully to lock-in their advantage. It will be hard to meet that bar, but if they do the potential externalities that accrue will be disruptive, game changing, buzzword-of-the-week-worthy.

ConsAvalara is growing up into a big-kid company now and throughout the near future, and that is always an awkward process no matter how hard to keep things running smoothly. There are a lot of people running around with their hair on fire -- some of them for good reason, but others just because it seemed like what everyone else was doing.

Oh, and there is no parking. But Bainbridge Island is so awesome, and the office is so great, that I'd call that a wash.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the vision (not the mission statement, the direct operational goals) and provide better visibility into that operational strategy all the way down the org chart.

Sweep out the cruft that's accumulated in software and start making some bolder moves. Have cross-functional project teams or even happy hours to spread organizational knowledge and camaraderie.

Interesting work, great people

Attorney (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe people you work with make or break a job, and I've been lucky enough to work with great people here. Opportunities to grow professionally are significant, and the environment is more collaborative than competitive.

ConsFerry commute Seattle to Bainbridge Island is difficult when combined with long hours. If you are not from the Pacific Northwest, short daylight hours and consistent cloud cover can make the otherwise mild winters an unexpected challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on taking risks with smart junior level employees, and they'll work hard to earn the opportunities they are given.

Worked for Avalara? Contribute to the Community!

Avalara Videos

Avalara – Why Work for Us?

Our Headquarters on Bainbridge Island, Washington is a modern, sprawling, 3-story building. And while most of us tend to take the stairs, the elevator ride is short. Which is why it’s good that our “elevator speech” is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avalara reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avalara CEO Scott McFarlane. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Avalara employees.