Avalere Health

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Mendelson

Collaborative environment; growing a better firm

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-People are friendly, and very driven by their work. You often work across practices, so it's great exposure to a variety of projects/clients.
    -A lot of room for growth, especially as the company continues to expand its practices.

ConsThe client deadlines can lead to long hours, but you're in it as a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about what's ahead as a firm.

Great place to gain expertise and build skills ... then move on

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt's a great place to learn a lot, both in terms of content and skills that will be applicable in future positions. While the organization has been becoming more hierarchical over time, there is still opportunity for staff to get a lot of responsibility even early on, and quickly.

ConsWork-life balance is terrible (most staff members are workaholics), staff can be very competitive with other, HUGE range / discrepancy in salaries for staff with the same title, quality of management / senior leadership is inconsistent (some are fantastic, others are not so good).

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on fostering a less competitive environment

Lots of room for growth - for both employees and for Avalere

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Pros-Fast-paced, energetic office. Avalere does very interesting work for a variety of clients, and is well diversified in its portfolio.
    -With a supportive manager, you can work on a breadth of topics and types of projects.

Cons-Lots of reorganization and perhaps expanding faster than the company can reasonably absorb staff and new areas of expertise
    -Lots of turn over
    -Your experience depends a lot on your individual manager and team. Some managers are stronger than others.

Advice to Senior Management-Administer an annual anonymous employee feedback survey to solicit staff input about how to improve the company.
    -Staff should have their own office! It's really challenging to conduct complex analyses when you have to listen to your office-mate's teleconferences and meetings all day. It's also challenging to have one-on-one management meetings (like giving feedback) when there aren't enough conference rooms and most staff have to share offices.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work you to death without respect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location in Dupont Circle

ConsNot great pay
    Awful management and even worse/non-existent senior management that are only worried about their egos
    Expected to work on weekends and late nights
    May never give you advice or instruction, but will certainly never compliment/thank you for a job well done.

I personally won back two multi-million dollar accounts and they acted as if it didn't matter and continue to act destructive toward the client

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who is doing the work and why it matters. Those individual can make or break your business since it's client-facing

Good for a Short, Targeted Experience to Establish/Expand Health Care Policy Understanding

ProsMany, many opportunities and resources (including some very smart colleagues) to learn a lot about health care policy; relaxed and casual office environment

ConsComplete lack of talent management at all levels (obvious favoritism; no consequences for botched projects; unclear standards for promotion); demoralizing work culture (passive aggressive and vindictive senior leaders; lack of transparency and regular blindsiding of junior staff with sudden, unilateral, and unpopular decisions; gossiping rather than providing direct feedback); lack of integrity--willingness to trade quality and accuracy for speed

Great people who work hard and help you become a better employee/analyst/writer/etc. Loved working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally smart people work here, are really supportive, and motivate you to "up your game." The upper management I was exposed to were pleasures to work with and for, and have been helpful references for subsequent positions. The company has solid values. And the work product the company produces is impeccable.

ConsMeetings can drag on. Heavy focus on hiring MBAs.

The people are the best thing about this place"

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsPeople-work is fun!
    Work- the work is meaningful and interesting; you will learn so much
    Flexibility- Opportunity to work from home when needed

ConsNo consistency in promotions
    No professional development
    Junior level staff is not valued
    Too many politics
    Terrible pay

Company is going through growing pains

Employee (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive team members
    Challenging work
    Good location

ConsLack of senior leadership
    Lack of a clear career path or advancement opportunities
    Low employee retention rate
    No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your good employees and set realistic expectations. Be firm in your decisions to build processes. New processes are worthless without senior leaders' support in implementing them.

Overall, a great place to work. Organization is currently going through some change.

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPeople, Type of work, Culture.

ConsNumber of Hours per week, transparency, lack of direction

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate and reward the people that you currently have on staff rather than hiring higher level people to fill positions that are not needed.

Fast-paced, marketing and sales oriented view of healthcare

Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOpportunity to work in numerous therapeutic areas and numerous clients. Numerous practice areas for collaboration

ConsNot a nurturing environment depending on immediate management, makes assumptions about prior experiences, expectations regarding time to reach a certain level of expertise with position are not made clear at the outset but changes are being made to help with on-boarding for new employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Avalere Health? Contribute to the Community!