Avalere Health Reviews

3.9
Dan Mendelson

SVP

I have been working at Avalere Health

Pros

Bright, smart driven colleagues. Very little hierarchy or politics,especially as compared to corporate or association work. Plenty of opportunity for advancement for those who are entrepreneurial and seize opportunities to grow. Nearly boundless opportunity.

Cons

For people who prefer a more structured environment, this is not a great fit. Focus is on what you can deliver, not managing up, or kissing up. The business has grown exponentially, so some systems are catching up with the company, but leadership is well aware of the issues and spends an enormous amount of time actively addressing these gaps.

Advice to Management

Maintain conscientious approaches to addressing needs of a rapidly growing company.

2. Excellent first job for anyone interested in healthcare and healthcare policy

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought I learned a lot in college. I was oh so very wrong. The one year I spent working at Avalere felt like getting paid to earn a master's degree in public health and public policy. I came to Avalere very open with the company about the fact that I would only be joining for one year, at which point I'd be returning to school. Despite how temporary my time was there, I felt that my direct supervisors invested their time and energy in me as if my Avalere tenure would last for years to come. I was astounded by the truly phenomenal mentorship I received from all levels of brilliant staff, the types of meaningful and intellectually stimulating projects I was fortunate enough to work on, and the roles I was able to take on at such a junior level. What's really remarkable about Avalere is the diversity of experience among its staff- attracting academics, former government workers (CMS, OMB, etc), and business professionals of all types. If your eyes and ears are open, you can learn a ton just by observing and interacting with your colleagues. For anyone interested in healthcare policy, healthcare in general, or consulting, I cannot think of a better place to go than Avalere.

Cons

Though I genuinely loved my time at Avalere, it's clear that there's significant variation in experiences of employees at the Associate/Sr. Associate level. I was in a new small group, and was lucky to have FANTASTIC supervisors, which in no small part defined my experiences and roles taken in different projects. Other practices are much larger which can lead to a very different dynamic, and though I cannot speak for the experiences of Associates in those practices, I cannot definitively say that my own experiences are generalizable to what life is like for every new Associate. Avalere definitely has a turnover issue, which I think senior leadership is beginning to take seriously. That said, there's good turnover (employees going to extraordinary new opportunities that without Avalere most likely would not be possible) and bad turnover from great employees dissatisfied with opportunities for upward mobility within the company and other legitimate concerns. Much like at any company, turnover at Avalere is a mix of the two. Additionally, turnover at Avalere is at least in part a reflection of the city it's in, which is of course a revolving door. I will say that whenever I hear what someone is going to do after leaving Avalere, I'm always extraordinarily impressed. Avalere can also improve upon its professional development framework (Excel & PPT trainings for staff, opportunities for junior and senior level staffers to make content relevant presentations to peers to build soft skills, etc). I have a sense that senior leadership is quickly becoming acutely aware of the main weaknesses/rooms for improvement, and the recent hiring of a new senior leader and recent corporate restructuring are great steps forward.

Advice to Management

As I mentioned before, turnover is a serious issue at Avalere. I think senior leadership should revisit turnover at the junior and middle-manager level, consider who is leaving and why they're leaving, solicit feedback, and develop a retention strategy. Though much turnover is inevitable, you don't want to unnecessarily lose a lot of the high quality talent that comes through Avalere's doors. Avalere's in a transition stage from small to mid/large size firm, so kinks are to be expected. Embrace the fact that you have kinks, and address them head-on.

Troubling trends

Former Employee - Manager/Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager/Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is conveniently located in DuPont Circle with easy access to the metro and plenty of food options. Given the smaller size, the responsibilities placed on managers are broad and you have the opportunity to work across different therapeutic areas. The people are great and it seems as though friendships are easily formed and last beyond your time at the firm. The travel requirements are also reasonable for consulting.

Cons

Leadership at the senior level is severely lacking as the firm struggles to define its identity. As a result, morale is very low across the entire firm. You need only look at the number of recent departures of senior leadership: multiple practice leads (Senior Vice Presidents), multiple sector leads (Executive Vice Presidents), and even the COO and CFO. Critiques about the opaque promotion process are commonplace but management fails to rectify the situation, leading to continuing and growing frustration. Projects can be repetitive and the firm likes to recycle work instead of bringing a fresh perspective to each client engagement.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to inflate your ratings with coordinated Glassdoor reviews (see the three glowing June 26 reviews), take a close look at why people are leaving and listen to your employees. Create a plan to address these issues and commit to fixing them. This is the only way to build credibility and improve morale. Otherwise, the situation will continue to deteriorate and it will become harder to recruit new talent.

5. A Unique and Vibrant Community

Former Employee - Senior Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health (More than 8 years)

Pros

Avalere is a high-growth, high-energy environment and offers staff at every level the ability to develop a wide range of skill sets, work with the top companies and organizations in health care, and be entrepeneurial. The organization should appeal to anyone who would like to develop a strong subject matter expertise in healthcare, work for a top notch professional services and research firm, and be surrounded by colleagues who will challenge you to be your best. Any employer who sees Avalere on a resume immediately concludes that the candidate is talented, strategic, and hard working.

Cons

Avalere is a innovative environment and is always pushing the boundaries to be the best partner for their clients and deliver the highest quality work. They are also an organization that prides itself on going beyond the traditional consulting model to be a strong independent voice in the market and offer their insights also in the form of research programs and analytic tools. This environment may not appeal to individuals who are not prepared to give 110% every day and really embrace what it means to serve clients and be part of dynamic project teams.

Advice to Management

Hire only the best!

6. Consulting firm with a flair

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avalere Health

Pros

Great work, high-quality people, energetic environment, analytical thinkers, collaborative environment, candid conversations, great investment in people

Cons

Like any busy place, there are always challenges with balancing how to balance competing priorities and the need for time-sensitive decision making

Avalere has a strong external brand but excessive internal dysfunction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avalere Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart, committed staff are present, though they are not necessarily the majority; good brand recognition in the market; well-liked by many/most clients who don't experience the organization's internal dysfunction.

Cons

high turnover at the senior leadership levels makes for a chaotic work environment; advancement criteria are nebulous at best, nonexistent or subject to manager whims at worst. senior level/c suite recognizes that "employee morale" is an issue, but they are completely out of touch and misaligned on how to address that issue. many teams are also resource-constrained which can lead to unclear role division and excessive workloads

Advice to Management

Avalere likes to hire smart, dedicated people, and sometimes it's very good at doing so; that said, they set many of those people up to fail, whether it's through inadequate or inappropriate resource-allocation, inept managers, unclear advancement paths, etc. I would suggest having very honest conversations with the valued employees (many of us are leaving/have left, including myself) to re-engage and re-align the organization's efforts to address fundamental issues like turnover and low morale.

8. Sr. Litigation Paralegal

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health

Pros

Great Work environment. All of the employees were very cordial and supportive of each other. It was an ideal place of employment.

Cons

None There were no areas that needed improvement. Most of the work performed was standard litigation paralegal work. I wish I could've been employed there longer.

Advice to Management

None

9. Great learning experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avalere Health as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Accounting team is very close-knit. Each person's contribution in the team is greatly recognized. Knowledge gained here can definitely transfer and prepare you to work in large firms.

Cons

A lot of workaholics. Vague criteria for promotions. Quality of management and employees can indeed be inconsistent. Too much emphasis on hiring MBA's and Ivy League candidates.

Mundane at best...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to pick one here but the company definitely pays for everything you need in order to work the long hours that are required of you. They are open to reimbursing you for anything that you might use from phones to parking.

Cons

Senior staff and upper management promote their own friends from within and the CEO has a tendency to bring in his own friends to run the company. The company appears to be a state of preparation for sale. Required to work long hours without much recognition or pay increase during year review time. HR's primary concern is to take care of their senior staff and it's almost impossible to get any real help from them if you are low on the organization chart. Further more, one of the most painful aspects of working here is how fake and helpful the office management and operations staff is.

11. Great place to gain expertise and build skills ... then move on

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Avalere Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to learn a lot, both in terms of content and skills that will be applicable in future positions. While the organization has been becoming more hierarchical over time, there is still opportunity for staff to get a lot of responsibility even early on, and quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible (most staff members are workaholics), staff can be very competitive with other, HUGE range / discrepancy in salaries for staff with the same title, quality of management / senior leadership is inconsistent (some are fantastic, others are not so good).

Advice to Management

Work on fostering a less competitive environment

RSS Feed </> Embed