Avalon Correctional Services

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.4

Donald E. Smith

I transport offenders throughout the city and pick them up at the end of their day.

Current Employee - Transportation Officer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Transportation Officer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Avalon Correctional Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my administrators! They've always had my back...they've become like family to me.

Cons

We have offenders with mental issues which can be difficult.

Increase the salary...due to the enormous responsibility the officers have concerning the residents I feel they should be compensated for their tenure and work ethics.

Not for people who want to advance in Corrections.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Avalon Correctional Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hours may be ungodly, but they are stable.

Cons

Low pay, brutal hours, very little training for what is a hazardous job. Management more interested in the bottom line than doing the right thing. Management at the Tulsa facility doesn't have the back of their case managers, security chief or officers unless they cow tow or suck up to the administrator. They are not so much interested in retaining employees at the Tulsa facility as trying to catch them screwing up so they can fire them. They will fight your unemployment if you are fired to keep from paying benefits...punishing people for working there. It is not a suitable company for anyone on this planet with any interest in law enforcement to work for...it will affect your future and possibly your life for years to come.

Get out of the business. You are corrupt and you do not deserve to be in business.

A decent place to work but keep in mind you are easily replaceable.

I have been working at Avalon Correctional Services full-time

Pros

Bosses are nifty, working conditions tend to be professional but not completely uptight. But there is definitely the interoffice politics going on.

Cons

The only real con is the interoffice politics and the fact that the upper management/main office has no problem seeing someone as disposable. Also this is very much a stepping stone job, given that the pay is absurdly low for what you do as compared to doing the same job with the feds.

The direct management at the place is WONDERFUL. But the guys at the higher levels really need to see that treating your employees like interchangeable parts doesn't work well.

The El Paso Location is worse!

Former Employee - Monitor in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Monitor in El Paso, TX

I worked at Avalon Correctional Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I do not think there is anything good to say about this place.

Cons

Corruption. The offenders have more power than the employees. The head administrator rather have a nice lawn than to back up his employees. He gives special treatment to certain offenders. If you get into a verbal fight with one of his special offenders, he will take their side and reprimand you. A lot of people quit because of the low pay and the high work demand. They start you at 8 bucks an hour. If you want a pay raise of twenty cents, you have to be a supervisor and have even more stress on you. The buildings are old and falling apart. If anything gets repaired, it is because of handy offenders who does the work. Admin always wants the place on lock down with broken doors that do not lock. There are a lot better places you can find work. For that much and stress, you are better off at a fast food place. Trust me.

None. New management and ownership. These people just do not care for their employees.

Lots of cons..

Former Employee - Client Monitor in Del Valle, TX
    Former Employee - Client Monitor in Del Valle, TX

I worked at Avalon Correctional Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun job if you like that kind of thing. Good experience. It's funny because there are lots of opportunities to advance... Because everyone ends up quitting or getting fired after a few months... I guess that's a positive.. If you can reach the highest level you are looking at not making more than 30-35k a year. Everyone else basically gets 10/hr. Some get paid 11 with 4 years of college.

Cons

You start at ten an hour and end at 10 an hour. Non competitive pay. Upper admin treats employees poorly. Every meeting is a complaint session. Admin lies to staff and promises them things so they wont quit then does not deliver. Other halfway houses pay at least 1-2 dollars more and offer raises. Lots of corruption in upper management and admin. Company has extremely high turn over rate and continuously hires sub par employees because they do not like to offer raises or incentives to stay for long periods.

Stop treating monitors poorly and offer incentives for seniority.