AvalonBay
www.avalonbay.com Arlington, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

AvalonBay Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Timothy J. Naughton

Pros:
  • "This is a top notch company to work for with great benefits"
    in 5 reviews
  • "We have great people in the industry to work and learn from"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Dealing with disgruntled residents everyday can be taxing, but that is the nature of customer service"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Advancement from within based on office politics and favoritism, not hard work"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Supportive culture, endless room for professional growth.

Community Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe work life balance is fantastic. Avalonbay puts on events for their associates every quarter of the year. They want their employees to be successful at their jobs and reward them for performance.

ConsThe company values their employees. management does provide recognitition for outstanding associates who demonstrate they are meeting goals and helping the company grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology and software is outdated, could use more efficient and user friendly programs.

A company that genuinely cares about its associates, residents, and stands by their core values

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Lake Forest, CA

ProsAvalonBay offers beginners like me endless opportunities to learn and prosper withing the company and its industry. Corporate team and management value hard work and do a great job recognizing internal talent. This company offers variety of continuous training and support through its workshops, seminars, one on training, pow wows, and online courses and tuition reimbursement program. The company also offers amazing benefit options and cares for the safety and well being of its associates. Other forms of compensation, recognition, and benefits include retirement plans, investment opportunities, monthly and quarterly bonuses, employee housing discounts, scholarship offers, and recognition through quarterly award events. The day to day work environment is always fun, fast pace, and rewarding. The associates I have had the pleasure to work with are highly engaged, motivated, excited to work and treat each other like family (not the dysfunctional type but the happy loving type). Our employees recognize that the success of a community depends on team effort and it is why we are always eager to help one another. Last but not least all associates support the company's core value of providing exceptional experiences for our associates, residents and potential residents. The outcomes of quality customer service and a fun engaging work environment is key to a rewarding career with AvalonBay. I absolutely love this company!!!

ConsOur company associate have to manage a multitude of computer programs on a daily basis which may be overwhelming for some of our new and seasoned associates. Some of our systems are not always user friendly or fast enough but I know the company has the heard our concerns and is working on streamlining many of these programs to make work more efficient.

Over ten years of loving this company!

Community Supervisor (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe benefits are amazing as well as the promoting from within culture. This is the company to join if you are looking for a career. The team work onsite, between communities and teams and between corporate and the sites is amazing. One big family - promoting awesome places to live and work!

ConsSome locations are a bit short staffed which can be stressful at times.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

ProsAvalonBay is an industry leader and I truly believe it's because of the amazing associates. From Senior Management to on-site teams, everyone goes above and beyond make connections and do the best job possible. The Company values (continuous improvement, spirit of caring and commitment to integrity) are very important to associates and it shows in both overall strategy and day-to-day operations.

ConsAt times, the workload and lack of resources is overwhelming.

Doing things right

San Diego, CA

ProsFocuses on customer experience and engaging employees. Finds opportunities to challenge seasoned associates and gives back with community outreach/involvement.

ConsSo many systems which can cause duplicating tasks reducing efficiency.

Great company with great benefits

Community Consultant (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsThis is a top notch company to work for with great benefits. There are quarterly awards, usually at a fun event such as a baseball game, where employees are recognized for their outstanding work. The other plus are the great co-workers because everybody really gets along which makes the day more enjoyable.

ConsI haven't run into any cons yet, but I would like to mention that the company is working on streamlining systems to make it more user-friendly for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work of having more interaction with subordinates.

A Great Work Family Coast to Coast!

San Diego, CA

ProsI have worked for Avalon for several years in 3 states. Avalon is a national company with many amazing opportunities. The company believes in promotion from within and first consideration is truly given to associates who have worked hard and demonstrated their abilities.

Avalon is always willing to try new things, mess up, and try again. It's the reason it's always on the forefront of the Property Management industry. Upper Level Management knows what they are doing and do a good job at communicating what is going on.

ConsIt's not the company that will pay you the most but the happiness outweighs the income.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's an honor to be able to say I work for AvalonBay.

Best Property Management Company!

Newport Beach, CA

ProsI have worked for AvalonBay for quite a while and really feel the people I work with are like family! We spend more time, during the day, with the people we work with than our actual families so it's nice to actually like the people you work with and like the company you work for, which I feel quite a few of our associates feel this way. I have had opportunities to move across the country and work in different positions and have grown and learned so much about this industry and feel AVB really is the best. You may have friends tell you they don't like or trust their supervisors at their company, but I have had such great luck to have some wonderful supervisors to work for over the years. A great relationship with your boss makes life so much easier! Upper management does a great job keeping us informed of how the company is doing and I have always felt confident in their leadership. There are plenty of opportunities at AVB if you're willing to work hard and perform well. Plenty of training opportunities and lots of resources will help you grow and get promoted if that's what your goal is. Good benefits, open door communication policy, communities in nice locations, different product brands, and opportunities for nationwide advancement/movement all round out why AvalonBay is the best company to work for!!

ConsI have found managing associates the most challenging. There are lots of different people out there, with lots of different goals and agendas, and keeping everyone happy, all the time, is tough! The days/hours may not be for everyone, you can get more money somewhere else but you may not like the company or your boss, and yes, you have to work hard to get promoted and move on up! Make sure you give constant feedback to your associates and keep HR informed!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and continue to constantly communicate with your associates. It makes everyone feel so much for comfortable when they know what's going on (the good, the bad or the ugly) for them to feel safe and secure....and want to stay with us!

Great company to be associated with

Senior Maintenance Manager (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsWe have great people in the industry to work and learn from. Avalonbay gives everyone the opportunity to grow and also notices the hard work each person puts in.

ConsLacks on technology but they are working to improve

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be great to have a bonus program for onsite maintenance technicians with turn over time completion and quality

Great Company!!

ProsCareer growth opportunites in the company. The environment is friendly and fun, while working hard to achieve company goals.

ConsTraining is lenghty for new associates. They woudl rather get hands on experience.

Worked for AvalonBay? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AvalonBay reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AvalonBay CEO Timothy J. Naughton. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by AvalonBay employees.