AvalonBay Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • I feel like you truly have a work-life balance with this company (in 8 reviews)

• They promote a more unified work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • very poor work/life balance, poor training for mid to upper level employees (in 4 reviews)

• Dealing with disgruntled residents everyday can be taxing, but that is the nature of customer service (in 6 reviews)

1. Flexibility helps create a work-life balance

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that truly cares about their Associates and I would recommend AvalonBay to everyone. You cannot truly appreciate how well AvalonBay treats their Associates unless you have been at company that treats their employees like a disposable commodity and works them to death. AvalonBay is aware of work-life balance issues and they try to work with Associates whenever possible. I have seen schedules shifted so one Associate can make all their kid’s soccer games on Mondays in the spring. They intern help cover for other Associates other times during the year. AvalonBay has realized that some flexibility in the schedule when possible can go a long way helping the work-life balance. AvalonBay is not perfect and there are issues here just like any other company. One of the key differences I have seen at AvalonBay is Management (starting at the top) is aware of the issues and is actively trying to fix them. They really do listen to the Associates and they take their feedback very seriously. This was evident when Executive Management conducted a series of town hall meetings across the company to meet with and talk open with Associates at all levels.

Cons

The path for advancement is not always clear and is not always up. As you move up in the organization there are fewer opportunities.

Advice to Management

A career path does not always have to go up to be effective. Expanding roles and providing opportunities for growth can take the place of some of the advancement opportunities.

2. Maintenance Manager

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Great pay. Great training. Good benefits. 13 holiday's off with pay (2 floating). Room for growth. Awesome Management. Great place to start a career.

Cons

Sometimes work load can be pretty heavy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job.

3. Great Employer!

Current Employee - Community Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Very comfortable work environment. Positive and supportive directors and upper management. I have rarely considered leaving in my six years of employment.

Cons

High expectations. Full work load. This company is certainly for the quick learners and those who can adapt to a consistently changing company.

5. Great culture

Pros

Good culture, people and place to work

Cons

can't think of anything off the top of my head

6. Great Company

Pros

Benefits are amazing and the company culture is very appealing.

Cons

No cons experienced during temporary employment.

7. Good company - needs improvement (mgt)

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is too good to be true, but it is! There are a lot of great people and I have noted many new hires in seniors positions coming from outside the company many who come from much larger organizations and roles - this tells me AvalonBay is trying to bring in the right talent to get them to the next level. Nice offices and great discounts on rentals if you choose to live in one of our communities.

Cons

I agree with another comment, a lot of sub-par managers, directors, and executives, HOWEVER note my comment above at trying to higher more qualified and experiences leaders. I will say AvalonBay should not focus so much on "how long you have been with the company" and stronger managers, directors, and executives should "thin the herd" as there is a sense of accepting status-quo and mediocrity which allows people to "hide out" and not be performance managed.

Advice to Management

You are hiring for more skill, experience, and larger perspectives - USE these new hires to help transform this company from a good company to a great company. Senior executives seem competent, improvement needed in VP level areas where some areas and teams seem "unmanaged".

8. AvalonBay Management

I worked at AvalonBay full-time

Pros

A very good company to work for. Manager(s) were great people and showed a willingness to help associates. Always available to their employee's and very knowledgeable about services and products.

Cons

Very little family and work balance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for this review. I'm glad you had a good experience at AvalonBay, and I wish you all the best.

9. Community Manager

Pros

Great benifits, excellent training programs.

Cons

Can think of any cons.

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Awesome. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

10. Low employee morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a newly remodeled office building.

Cons

Over worked and under paid employees at the customer care center in Virginia Beach.

Advice to Management

Professionalism is very important in an work environment.

11. Service Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time

Pros

Good company atmosphere (people) colleague

Cons

Working conditions poor in the field - some treated second class

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad that you're having such a great experience with your colleagues, and disappointed to hear the con. Please reach your to the management team or HR for some ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed