AvalonBay

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
4.2

Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • I feel like you truly have a work-life balance with this company (in 8 reviews)

• Challenging work environment with a lot of room for growth (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Dealing with disgruntled residents everyday can be taxing, but that is the nature of customer service (in 6 reviews)

• It is hard to advance unless you work for the right manager that can get you noticed for the hard work you do (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Positive work culture. Good, inexpensive benefits.

Cons

Wish there was greater opportunity for advancement within the company

Nov 21, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you for your review and your more than 3 years of service to AvalonBay! We are pleased to hear about your positive experience working for us. We appreciate your feedback regarding advancement ... More

Great!

I have been working at AvalonBay

Pros

great company with great people. They are always building so there are always new opportunities coming up.

Cons

Community consultants have to work on weekends and sometimes it takes a long time to advance positions.

Good job!

Great company to work for, but very corporate-oriented

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair pay, monthly bonuses, plenty of training. Tend to hire fun and interesting people, so the work environment could be much worse.

Cons

Cutting positions and giving more responsibility to others, which decreases opportunity to move up. Corporate-oriented decision making that doesn't always have the employee or residents' best interests in mind.

Personal growth is looking like a difficult thing to come by, and reducing staffing to save money without increasing the pay of the people who will feel the burden of the extra work will only lead them to leave.

Nov 13, 2014Hiring Manager

We are happy to hear you find your work fulfilling! We appreciate your feedback about staffing and growth opportunities. We recognize what an important role both of these areas plays in employee ... More

Good company, plenty of room for personal growth

Current Employee - IS (IT) Administrative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - IS (IT) Administrative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good managers, great company culture, excellent life-work balance, plenty of overtime(in my dept at least), good benefits (incl tuition reimbursement!), once you are situated there is opportunity to work in other depts if desired.

Cons

LONG hours, crushing workloads, meager pay increases, quite a few disorganized/inefficient workflow processes, sometimes difficult deadlines to meet.

Pay increases should be more than just cost of living, especially for those really busting hump and making things happen. The hidden cost of turnover and wasted pay while the next new person gets acclimated should be enough to motivate proper pay increases.

Nov 13, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you for your review; we're pleased to hear you enjoy your colleagues and AvalonBay's culture. We are also happy to hear your praise for work-life balance, benefits, and opportunity to learn ... More

Pleasant experience but not challenging

Current Employee - Summer Associate
    Current Employee - Summer Associate

I have been working at AvalonBay as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The hourly pay wage was high for an internship, very laid back environment

Cons

Hour lunch break that meant you couldn't go home earlier and work was dull and repetitive

Average experience, uncovered lots of unfair treatment.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at AvalonBay (more than 10 years)

Pros

People on-site are friendly and have a fun work environment. Nice properties in great locations. Pay is fair compared to others in industry.

Cons

No support from upper management. No expectation setting, nothing is ever good enough, no one saying and meaning what they say. Employees treated unfairly compared to peers. Experience is dependent on manager.

Take a real interest in your people, don't pretend you care. Take time to say thank you and actually mean it. Add staff to properties onsite staff is over worked.

Good Experience Overall

Former Employee - Community Consultant
    Former Employee - Community Consultant

I worked at AvalonBay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

compensation
    office/company culture
    room to grow

I enjoyed what I did as far as interacting with residents & doing whatever I could to make sure they were happy and had a good experience living at the community. The quarterly events were fun and it was a good opportunity to meet colleagues at other community & really feel like one big team. I learned a lot about customer service in this position and felt motivated.

Cons

work-life balance
    ridiculous dress code

Having to work every weekend at a lease up & every Saturday at a stabilized community is difficult. Really limits your ability to be a normal person & spend time with your family & friends. The dress code changes were ridiculous and the necessity to move to different communities is a bit daunting - hard to really feel comfortable anywhere.

Someone is going to lease with me whether I'm wearing a black dress or a pink dress. As long as I look professional, it shouldn't matter what color I'm wearing. If women have to wear a jacket, men should too. A woman in a cardigan & blouse is the same as a man in a shirt & tie. If you're going to be that strict, provide uniforms.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear that you had a good experience at AvalonBay. With respect to our apparel guidelines, our goal is to provide a consistent brand image for the ... More

Great Company that is Committed to being the Best

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly committed to being the very best. Tremendous amount of effort and resources are dedicated to understanding our markets and what our residents want / need.

Great working environment with an emphasis on respect and genuine caring for one another.

If you're a self motivated hard worker the opportunities are endless.

Cons

The work load can be overwhelming at times.

The intermission program after 15 years of service is an awesome perk.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for the feedback. Associates like you make AvalonBay a great place to work!

Strong respectable honest company

Current Employee - Senior Project Superintendent in Glendora, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Superintendent in Glendora, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits, aewsome employees, great working enviorment

Cons

They expect the best out of all employees

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Great people and good company overall

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work at the Corporate Office and we have about 270 Associates. Everyone is friendly and there is such a wide variety of people with different backgrounds, which always makes for interesting lunchroom conversations! Associates from different departments are willing to help out, even if you are asking form something outside of their normal scope.

Cons

Upward growth for women is somewhat lacking and even sometimes discouraged and not supported, especially for working mothers. Although we are constantly told we are paid above industry standard, it is not the case for all positions. We generally have good time off policies, although there is no materniry leave available.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and agree that the culture at AvalonBay is welcoming and collaborative. We strive to provide development and promotional opportunities for ... More