AvalonBay

www.avalonbay.com

AvalonBay Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • Challenging work environment with a lot of room for growth(in 6 reviews)

• This is a top notch company to work for with great benefits(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Dealing with disgruntled residents everyday can be taxing, but that is the nature of customer service(in 6 reviews)

• It is hard to advance unless you work for the right manager that can get you noticed for the hard work you do(in 5 reviews)

Love working for this company, work with lots of great people!

ProsI feel like you truly have a work-life balance with this company. It makes me enjoy coming to work. I feel it is a collaborative environment where team building plays a big role. I have met lots of employees that have left but have come back because the grass was not greener. I think that says a lot about the company.

ConsReally can't think of any.

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosloved the way upper management treated employees

Consnot enough room for growth

Fantastic

Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) Watchung, NJ

ProsYour day is never the same. It is so fun and exciting working here. Pay is great! I love the people. I actually enjoy going to work every day. There are many challenges when it comes to customer service but that keeps the job fresh. Its not easy. There are many things that go into property management and so much to learn. This is a great experience and can potentially be a long term career.

ConsWorking Saturdays. Managers will take saturdays off no problem so if you can get into the managment side after working your butt off you don't always have to work saturdays forever.

Advice to Senior Managementnone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AvalonBay: Great people & a great place to work!

Pros-The people & culture here are awesome. Its great to work in an environment where you genuinely like the people you work with. Everyone is extremely hardworking and always willing to lend a helping hand. The supervisors are very focused on job growth and getting you where you need to be to move up in your position.
    -There are lots of opportunities to try new things and explore different facets of the company which always keeps things interesting.
    -There is a lot of promoting from within which is encouraging to see.
    -My supervisors aren't super strict when it comes to an exact time to be in every day as long as I'm getting my work done and not missing meetings. Our office is pretty relaxed but still gets things done. Everyone is very flexible with taking time off, taking off for a bit during the day for personal reasons, etc.
    -I always look forward to coming to work. My job here challenges me and is always making me push forward which I find very valuable.
    -The vacation time policy is pretty good. 2 weeks starting out and then after 4 years it goes to 3 weeks and then there are more days as your tenure increases from there.
    -The corporate offices have all been pretty dated and they have recently been moving and upgrading all of the offices. It may not seem like much - but its nice to come in to a shiny new office instead of one stuck in the 90s.
    -The rent discount is pretty good (20% off market) if you want to live at a community. And most of our community are pretty awesome (new or recently renovated) so that is a huge bonus.

Cons-Technology - people still use Lotus Notes? But after a week you are used to it. They have released new tools like Chatter (almost like a Twitter just for the company) which is new and exciting and our virtual magazine is cool.
    -Avalon doesn't pay super well - and its something they don't seem afraid to tell people. When you have your review and they tell you they don't give raises (base raise) based on the cost of living and if you live at a community they are most likely raising your rent more than you are getting in a raise - something doesn't add up there...Its really about finding the right balance between enjoying where you work, having a flexible schedule and opportunity for growth. Another company may pay more, but you may not find the same culture there that you have here. Hourly corporate associates are pretty much the only people in the company that aren't eligible for bonuses which is frustrating for many people. However, the fact that they tend to promote from within and really value their associates offsets some of these frustrations and makes you work harder towards getting to that next level.
    -The maternity leave policy isn't awesome - 6 weeks and they force you to use all of your vacation days...but if you can afford to take more time off, it seems they are very open to that and will work with you.

Great people, great culture, and great opportunities for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsFriendly and inviting company culture. Highly skilled co-workers. Tenured and knowledgeable Executive leaders. Great strategic vision. Discount for living at an AvalonBay community. Challenging work environment with a lot of room for growth.

ConsThe benefits package is good, not great. It checks the boxes but it could be better. Also, diversity at the Executive level could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Outstanding personnel, benefits and oppportunities for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsAvalonBay has one of the beat "team" mentalities of any company I have worked for. Everyone truly works for the benefit of our customers, company, and co-workers. With the amount of company growth and expansion, there are always avenues and opportunities for advancement and exploring new positions if so desired. My co-workers are some of the most knowledgable minds and fun people to work with. The work load, challenges and demands on your skills are high, which keeps things exciting and interesting.

ConsPay rates are lower than comparitive jobs in other companies. Communication between different facets of the company could be improved.

How many people can say they love going to work? I can!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsOver fifteen years with this company and I'm hoping to retire here. This group is my second family.

ConsBonuses taken away for hourly associates. Hoping they get reinstated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease bring back our bonus program.

Great people, poor advancement opportunities.

Community Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood benefits, great holiday schedule, opportunity for great compensation at the right property. Do not have to work Sundays. The staff on-site is very friendly and helpful. Company does events 2-3 times a year.

ConsThis company does not have the best hours including Saturdays unless in upper management. The training is not the best medium (a lot of online based solo training). The company will sometimes overlook an internal promotion and hire an outside canidate and rely on current employees to provide training which is very discouraging when attempting to move forward in career. It is hard to advance unless you work for the right manager that can get you noticed for the hard work you do.

Excellent company!

Anonymous (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsEncouragement in employee growth and development.
    Listened to associate concerns through regional town halls and Associate Perspective Survey. Now taking action on those main items.
    Truly cares about associates at all levels.

ConsTechnology, but as others have mentioned they are addressing these issues.

Personal & Professional Growth

Community Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsExtremely stable environment.
    The company actually cares for the employees.
    They promote a more unified work environment.
    Extremely Customer Service Oriented
    Provides training for all the different software's needed

ConsNeeds to have more user friendly softwares or programs.
    You need to search in a billion databases to find what you need.
    Slow softwares, long wait times to process things.
    Maintenance department is managed separately, Community Manager doesn't control or manage any of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working at AvalonBay, my only advice is that we need to get a better software/program instead of doing the same thing in 5 different places.

Worked for AvalonBay? Contribute to the Community!