AvalonBay Reviews

Reset

Not too shabby

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very consistent across the boards in terms of rolling out new plans or campaigns to improve the company. There are many opportunities to move around due to the large volume of properties across the country. Employee engagement has improved in just the time that I have worked for the company. I feel like Management legitimately cares about their associates and trying to keep them happy.

Cons

Pay/bonus system seems relatively low in comparison to other property management companies. Associate discount is pretty low as well.

Advice to Management

Review the pay/bonus structure so we are competitive with other property management companies and improve the associate discount for "on-site" associates.

2. A company that cares about its people

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for AvalonBay for a number of years and continue to be impressed with the company's commitment to its employees. Management asks for feedback on a regular basis and takes action on it. Employees are given opportunities to grow, are recognized for their efforts and are proud to work for the company.

Cons

Something is always changing (for the better) at AvalonBay, so don't apply to this company if you don't like variety and change in your work. There is also more work to get done than time in the day, so prioritization is also a key to success here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. Fantastic Company To Work For!

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, good structure, fast advancement, relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Haven't found any so far

Advice to Management

Adjust the commission structure.

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time to describe your experience at AvalonBay! We are working to improve the commission structure. More to come soon!

Maintenance Supervisor

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, Company not afraid to promote employees to management level positions!!! Company is very customer driven and is willing to go the extra mile for them.

Cons

Not speaking in regards to my pay but I am speaking in behalf of my employees...Pay is'nt all that great. our competitors pay $3-$5 more for the similar positions. We ask so much out of them on a daily basis but the pay definitely does not reflect that at all!

Advice to Management

pay employees more! they deserve it! you will be able to demand more if you did. Its scary too see AVB adopt programs from a company that went out of business. There is a reason why they went out of business!

Fake company, fake people!

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much. You get apaycheck, but you can get one elsewhere too!

Cons

I work in the LA area and OMG has this company changed! A couple of years ago Avalon took over part of a company, Archstone, that did so bad it went out of business! Well, someone didn't tell the former Archstone employees this. They feel they took over Avalon and they just came in with all sorts of ideas about how to change the company. And the executives are actually allowing it. It's like they feel bad for this company, and it's crazy-paid employees, and are giving them cart blanche to do what they want. They all came in with much higher titles and higher pay and they don't know nearly as much as the current Avalon people. We all couldn't believe our eyes and ears! Major animosity going on! The executives are just out of control. What are they looking for in LA? Well, let's just say they like their "leasing girls" to be quite pretty and look darn good. Curled hair, makeup, and the kind that can 'attract new residents'. The regionalmanagers are just awful! Mean-spirited, belittling and always on you to get your numbers. It reminds me of used car sales. If you don't get your numbers, they write the heck up out of you and then will just fire you! This has happened to SEVERAL associates. It's very sad. Good people, doing thier best, but just tossed out. They want these great numbers because they want thier big bonuses. Yes, this is true. These people get big bonuses and you better not be in the way of them getting it. This company experiences so much turn over, they know they'll just find some other slob, and then work them to death. And then make them feel soooo lucky to be working for this company. They pretty much brainwash you into thinking this is the best company and you should feel so lucky. And then you aren't supposed to ask for raises or promotions. Again, very sad indeed. The LA region is a very stressful region for sure and you really have to have some major thick skin to work here. They definitely have their favorites for sure too. If you're not a 'chosen one' then run for your life.

Advice to Management

Please remind everyone this is A-V-A-L-O-N-B-A-Y and not some other failed company. Please go back to the way it used to be, when people actually enjoyed their jobs and like the company!

Maintenance Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay

Pros

Excellent company to work for!!! I've been with AvalonBay for almost two decades and the standards that has made them who they are in the apartment industry has never changed.The growth and the stride to be Great is in the process. I advise all those looking for a career in this industry to check out Avalonbay.

Cons

No Cons at this time!!

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and thanks for your contributions over the years in helping AvalonBay to be GREAT. I am glad you appreciate the culture you've helped to create and ... More

8. Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician Lll in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician Lll in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers and Residents and helping others

Cons

Working after hours on call

Advice to Management

Best I've ever had to work with

9. Great

Current Employee - Sales & Service Supervisor in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Supervisor in Westbury, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company focuses on individual career development and they do promote from within. They strive to deliver great customer service, and they treat their employees right.

Cons

The technology is a little bit behind, but there are improvements made on a regular basis. The community budgets are very strict and can impact customers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy to hear your experience with us is a positive one.

10. Stable employer, but values $ over people

Former Employee - Community Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at AvalonBay (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company with enormous work location options.

Cons

Going more in the direction of "numbers" rather than "people." Prior to new VP, AVB stressed the importance of their people. This greatly changed around 2012/2013 with the change in executive management.

Advice to Management

People are your most valuable asset.

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

This is great feedback for AvalonBay, for future employees, and for current employees. Thank you.

I love it here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company that treats their employees well and makes you feel valued. They have a lot of events for employees and training's that elevate your value. They understand that they need to provide you with the support and tools in order to excel in your job. You also have a seat at the table - They truly believe in collaboration and that means that they actually listen to employee thoughts, comments, ideas and they make changes and adjustments accordingly.

Cons

Two words - Lotus Notes is the emailing system. Its hard to regress back to an old form of technology BUT they heard the employees and are changing out the system at the end of 2015.

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you very much for the great review of AvalonBay. I'm really glad that you are enjoying your time here, and finding the work challenging and the culture to be solid.

RSS Feed </> Embed