AvalonBay

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
4.3

Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • I feel like you truly have a work-life balance with this company (in 8 reviews)

• Challenging work environment with a lot of room for growth (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Dealing with disgruntled residents everyday can be taxing, but that is the nature of customer service (in 6 reviews)

• It is hard to advance unless you work for the right manager that can get you noticed for the hard work you do (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, plenty of room for personal growth

Current Employee - IS (IT) Administrative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - IS (IT) Administrative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, good managers, great company culture, excellent life-work balance, plenty of overtime(in my dept at least), good benefits (incl tuition reimbursement!), once you are situated there is opportunity to work in other depts if desired.

Cons

LONG hours, crushing workloads, meager pay increases, quite a few disorganized/inefficient workflow processes, sometimes difficult deadlines to meet.

Pay increases should be more than just cost of living, especially for those really busting hump and making things happen. The hidden cost of turnover and wasted pay while the next new person gets acclimated should be enough to motivate proper pay increases.

Nov 13, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you for your review; we're pleased to hear you enjoy your colleagues and AvalonBay's culture. We are also happy to hear your praise for work-life balance, benefits, and opportunity to learn ... More

Pleasant experience but not challenging

Current Employee - Summer Associate
    Current Employee - Summer Associate

I have been working at AvalonBay as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay wage was high for an internship, very laid back environment

Cons

Hour lunch break that meant you couldn't go home earlier and work was dull and repetitive

Dec 8, 2014Hiring Manager

Thank you for the feedback on your summer internship experience. Your comments will help us to make the internship program a more valuable experience for participants.

Average experience, uncovered lots of unfair treatment.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at AvalonBay (more than 10 years)

Pros

People on-site are friendly and have a fun work environment. Nice properties in great locations. Pay is fair compared to others in industry.

Cons

No support from upper management. No expectation setting, nothing is ever good enough, no one saying and meaning what they say. Employees treated unfairly compared to peers. Experience is dependent on manager.

Take a real interest in your people, don't pretend you care. Take time to say thank you and actually mean it. Add staff to properties onsite staff is over worked.

Good Experience Overall

Former Employee - Community Consultant
    Former Employee - Community Consultant

I worked at AvalonBay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

compensation
    office/company culture
    room to grow

I enjoyed what I did as far as interacting with residents & doing whatever I could to make sure they were happy and had a good experience living at the community. The quarterly events were fun and it was a good opportunity to meet colleagues at other community & really feel like one big team. I learned a lot about customer service in this position and felt motivated.

Cons

work-life balance
    ridiculous dress code

Having to work every weekend at a lease up & every Saturday at a stabilized community is difficult. Really limits your ability to be a normal person & spend time with your family & friends. The dress code changes were ridiculous and the necessity to move to different communities is a bit daunting - hard to really feel comfortable anywhere.

Someone is going to lease with me whether I'm wearing a black dress or a pink dress. As long as I look professional, it shouldn't matter what color I'm wearing. If women have to wear a jacket, men should too. A woman in a cardigan & blouse is the same as a man in a shirt & tie. If you're going to be that strict, provide uniforms.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're glad to hear that you had a good experience at AvalonBay. With respect to our apparel guidelines, our goal is to provide a consistent brand image for the ... More

Great Company that is Committed to being the Best

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Highly committed to being the very best. Tremendous amount of effort and resources are dedicated to understanding our markets and what our residents want / need.

Great working environment with an emphasis on respect and genuine caring for one another.

If you're a self motivated hard worker the opportunities are endless.

Cons

The work load can be overwhelming at times.

The intermission program after 15 years of service is an awesome perk.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for the feedback. Associates like you make AvalonBay a great place to work!

Strong respectable honest company

Current Employee - Senior Project Superintendent in Glendora, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Superintendent in Glendora, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits, aewsome employees, great working enviorment

Cons

They expect the best out of all employees

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Great people and good company overall

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work at the Corporate Office and we have about 270 Associates. Everyone is friendly and there is such a wide variety of people with different backgrounds, which always makes for interesting lunchroom conversations! Associates from different departments are willing to help out, even if you are asking form something outside of their normal scope.

Cons

Upward growth for women is somewhat lacking and even sometimes discouraged and not supported, especially for working mothers. Although we are constantly told we are paid above industry standard, it is not the case for all positions. We generally have good time off policies, although there is no materniry leave available.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and agree that the culture at AvalonBay is welcoming and collaborative. We strive to provide development and promotional opportunities for ... More

It’s not a job, it’s a career

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AvalonBay is the type of company you should join if you’re looking for a career and not just a paycheck. This company is growing and there are a lot of opportunities available for anyone willing to put in the effort. I work with a great group of people that really pull together as a team. It’s a good feeling to know if you need help on a project someone has your back and if someone else needs help you have theirs. I’ve been at too many companies that push a cut throat culture in the name of performance. When my team had to work late to make a deadlines during the Archstone Acquisition, my boss was working right beside us. He recognized that the team went above and beyond what was expected of us to get the job done and remembered it during our performance reviews and in our bonuses. I think the best comment I can give is, I can see myself still working for this company in 10 years or more.

Cons

The company often seems too big for the amount of people we have working here. The feeling of being overwhelmed gets be compounded by the amount of continual growth. Our team always seems to be trying to play catch up with the amount of work.

You have a great group of people working for you that are always willing to step up when you need them. You need to recognize when to take the reins and hold them back some so they don’t burn out.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for your kind words! We strive to make AvalonBay a great place to work.

Great job, great company. Lots of changes in last year that have made me question our direction and my future.

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love my job. Company has been very good to its associates in the past. My director is very engaged and a true mentor. Fellow associates are very good at their jobs and make coming to work worthwhile. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Real change in management with the Archstone acquisition. Seems like upper mangement that joined last year cares less about associates. Very unfriendly and dismissive. Many former Archstone associates I have had dealt with have a holier than though attitude and refuse to be a part of the company. They would rather just change everything here to how they used to do things.

Change is good and natural but some changes are causing disgruntled associates and poor business decisions. Company should pulse check associates more frequently to stay ahead of associate issues and unhappiness. My VP is extremely unfriendly and seems to surround herself with "yes" men.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please look for a company-wide Associate Perspective survey in early 2015.

Meh

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at AvalonBay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At first I loved my job!! Easy going, good pay, great hours, holiday time and vacation is great. Love my benefits, (I'm sure there is better but this is manageable.) Good work life balance. Company events are fun and MOST people are great to work with. Regular evaluations with pay increases (although they are rigged to cap you at a certain level of excellence for financial reasons. This is not a joke, it's been happening my entire career and when I first started I was in denial of it but now it's just getting old)

Cons

As time goes on you do more and more work outside of your "job description" or "title". This is great for development but eventually enough is enough. It makes employees feel like they are doing the job of a Community Manager (which they LITERALLY are) but just don't get paid the same or get the same benefits. The same is true for Community Consultants, several CC's take on a lot more responsibility yet can't seem to be promoted. Maintenance Supervisor's are in the same boat, usually running a property with no direction from maintenance manager or senior. Even maintenance tech positions find themselves in the same boat. Avalon keeps staffing small to keep costs down. Most of this stems specifically from "podded" communities. Company favors certain employees which include offering better housing discounts to one person over another. The stress of doing more than one persons job with NO thanks or recognition is becoming extremely draining.

Offer better training and roadmaps for employees that are trying to grow with the company. Be straight with employees who are not qualified for a promotion and tell them how to get there and what you're REALLY looking for.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and more than 8 years of employment with AvalonBay.