Avanade

Avanade Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Avanade CEO Adam Warby

Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business(in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off(in 51 reviews)

• No work life balance, be prepared to work 12 to 16 hour days(in 10 reviews)

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start career

Solutions Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey offered a lengthy transition program for new college grads of about 5 weeks.

ConsNot a lot of say on client that you will be assigned to

Advice to Senior ManagementUltimately, I was part of layoffs during economic down turn, unfortunately I didn't see it coming at all. Maybe a little better communication of hard times. Instead, they had us come in for a week of training and then on Friday laid off a lot of us.

Great talent, poor sales approach

Sales (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany has very skilled and knowledgeable technical experts. Impressive library of assets to be leveraged for sales and project delivery purposes.

ConsTypically not very cost competitive in the regional / local direct markets. Majority of services sold and delivered on Accenture's coat tails. Many internal processes that incumber speed and flexibility when working with clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider deploying local sales and delivery if you want to grow direct business

Innovative, fun, Best Place to Work!

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people! Access to CEO, COO, etc Red tape is non-existent . Love the idea of having one manager for project and another focused on my career development.

ConsIf you cannot work in a virtual environment-this is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting career development and mentoring.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

un-inspiring but large Microsoft provider of offshore services

Group Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBig companies have specialists to do every type of job function, so good for specialists who don't like to do multiple things, although not a good place for technology generalists for the same reason.

ConsIn my opinion: People are not developed via their archaic stack ranking/quota system. Promotions gained thru popularity and politics and not through skills development.

Most executives (SVPs and up) don't get their hands dirty at the customer/project level, yet have all the answers on non-stop internal conference calls.

Old boy Accenture / Microsoft nepotism at executive leadership level. If you worked for Microsoft or Accenture 20 years ago and have a relationship, you are qualified to be a CVP or higher at Avanade.

Most projects are run by Accenture hard as*es (kindly labeled 'drivers'). These folks will expect you to work all hours due to over-promising, or just because they have nothing better to do but to go back to the hotel. At best you are treated like a sub-contractor and lack a seat at the table. Accenture takes all of the leadership roles on projects, leaving Avanade the individual contributor roles which can limit your growth.

Advice to Senior Management1) aspire to be more than an average offshore heavy staffing agency for Microsoft skills.

2) Strip all of the Accenture numbers out of your P&L and look at your true management effectiveness over the past 10 years. Stop confusing Accenture revenue growth with Avanade brand success.

3) Ditch the direct sales force, and management layers. Fold the consultants into real Accenture orgs and allow consultants to be on par with their Accenture cohorts.

Great company and culture

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLot of talented people
    Excellent career growth opportunities
    Good pay

ConsLong hours at client sites based on client demands
    Work/life balance can and should be improved

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent communication on company objectives and direction

If your X Accenture you will have no issues...

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHealth benefits are decent

Cons2 weeks vac time to start, they say they grow, want their people to take training - only if your selected to attend the training. Most of the training are online webinars. Very high schoolish - if upper mgmt likes you then your slotted for a project. If they don't then your on the bench and let go. If you take a stretch role there is no forgiveness if you make an error. They claim its the people that help however everyone is trying to get the same roles or they are over worked and can't help. X Accenture people always get slotted for projects. Its who you know. MS projects in Seattle your treated poorly - no one there knows or care that MS also has ownership in Avanade.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not practicing what you preach - your mission is not true!

Very good place to work at if you are passionate about working on cutting edge technologies

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork life balance, training, career development path

ConsAvg. pay, tough to get promotion

Great and progressive environment to work in.....

Financial Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery focused group of employees, technology based solutions company providing exposure to international resources. Fantastic learning environment to allow you to reach your full potential.

ConsNo cons come to my mind

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work for fostering team / individual effort all the while being professional....

I didn't choose consulting to sit at home with nothing to do

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat training program for new hires. The people I have met are great. Some upper level people are really good about reaching out to new hires

ConsI've been working from home unstaffed since I got out of training 4 months ago, which is the total opposite of what I was told throughout the recruiting process (80% travel, working in project teams, being around people, etc). I haven't met any coworkers except at the one company event there has been, and the office is always empty. All this is especially frustrating when I moved across the country not knowing a soul, based on promises of travel and working with people...instead I've been ignored for 4 months, as have the others from my training class. No new hire should be expected to sit with no real work to do for 4 months, or anyone for that matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest about this new operating model-is this going to mean no travel/increased virtual projects or not? Have a place for new hires to go when they get out of training-very unmotivating to sit at home alone for 4 months, not to mention wasteful of good talent. Stop sending emails talking about "record sales" and then telling us we may not be staffed for 9 more months...clearly that isn't right

Fantastic culture

Business Analyst - Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Great people to work with
    -Good work/life balance
    -Avanade cares about it's employees
    -Combines the best of both worlds from Accenture and Microsoft

Cons-Could keep pay more aggressive to ensure they keep and attract the best talent

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!