Avanade

Avanade Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Avanade CEO Adam Warby

Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business(in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off(in 51 reviews)

• No work life balance, be prepared to work 12 to 16 hour days(in 10 reviews)

Great people with good employee benefits

ProsThe company highly promotes various kinds of training for employees;
    The people Avanade hires are the friendliest people

ConsYou often have to work closely with Accenture who shares very different values. at times this becomes an issue when managing expectations

Great opportunities and really smart people!

ProsThe company provides so many ways to contribute, learn and lead. I've found so many smart people to learn from! The training is amazing and the culture is fun, challenging and supportive all at once. I'm also very pleased to see the amount of communication and recognition the company invests in.
    I am lovin' it so far!

ConsIt's not a company for those who want a slow pace. If you are part of the delivery channel, you need to keep yourself relevant, up to date, and constantly delivering. This is not for everyone. I personally love that aspect of it but have heard from others that it is a lot to keep up with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture of community and recognition going. This is a really great aspect of the place.

Great people, great processes, great technology

ProsGood compensation & benefits, access to latest MS technology, interesting large-scale projects, respectful and transparent culture, rational organizational structure. No other company does global Microsoft projects that really stretch the bounds of the products.

ConsAs with any large company, it takes time to learn how to navigate the org, understand go-to-market strategies and solution offerings, There is plenty of support to get that done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The shine has worn off this rising star

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat access to Microsoft technology, amazing innovation with customer projects.

ConsLarge disconnect between marketing and the needs of sales and the service lines. Marketing's focus on campaigns is consuming large investments while showing little return. And let's not even start on the value of a costly Formula 1 sponsorship. Executive leadership has lost touch with the employees. Communications from them is nearly non-existent. Dissatisfaction is running high throughout the company.

Avanade doesn't really care about your career

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCan't think of many. I was very excited to join Avanade at first, but it didn't take long to be disillusioned

Cons- Avanade is so focused on growth that they stopped caring about people they already have. In the 3+ years I worked there nearly every month we'd get an email about this or that benefit being "replaced with [something worse] so we can be better aligned for the future growth". What that meant most of the time is that benefits/perks were getting worse and worse as time progressed.

- Compensation is extremely sub par. I didn't realize that until I started looking for a new job. Even with other consulting companies in the area I was able to easily get offers 25-40% higher than what Avanade pays (and with better benefits).

- Don't believe recruiters when they tell you that you will be working on exciting projects with exciting clients. The clients are exciting (in the Seattle area mostly MS, but many other big names throughout the country). The truth is that most of the work is very mundane, boring and not challenging. You will be staffed on the same client for months if not years (if you're billable and client likes you, no amount of complaining will get you off a project even if it's not a good fit for you or your career).

- Nearly none of the people I started working with 3+ years ago are with the company anymore. Morale is low, attrition is high

- AvanadeU (and training opportunities) is not as great as they make it out to be. I would much rather have a subscription to PluralSight that listen to boring "lectures" over Lync. While on the client it's nearly impossible to attend any of the training sessions

- There's no company culture to speak of. You're on a client site all the time, you interact with client's employees. Because of that you are more part of the client's culture than Avanade's. But you're not an FTE at the client, so there's something very important missing. You're basically on your own and it sucks.

Advice to Senior Management- Growth is not everything!! You are losing good people because you simply don't care about providing them with pay, benefits and opportunities that they deserve.
    - Stop patting yourself on the back in every company-wide email. Every deal won, every project completely was "thanks to this or that dedicated VP; I mean, yes, there were hundreds of other consultants on the project, but it's the VPs persistence that made it all happen"

Huge company, lots of bragging rights, but out of touch with reality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, MSDN subscription, expense account (obviously as a consultant), massive amount of resources available in terms of technical documentation, methodologies, etc.

ConsGrueling travel schedule, client must have the same holiday dates otherwise required to work, seemed to be a notion of perpetuating their presence otherwise projects could probably have been moved along quicker, and a lot smoother. Heavy, heavy, heavy favoritism. Knowledgeable people who tout their certifications and past experiences, but don't effectively manage, nor deliver... which they seem to enjoy doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiving in the corporate culture of who is more senior than whom is not a profession.

A good apple gone bad

Director (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMostly smart people who are passionate about what they do.
    Still strong potential in some areas and countries with solid leadership in place.

ConsLost their entrepreneurial sprint as they have grown into a larger and bureaucratic enterprise.
    Way too many business units are focused on cost containment.
    Some business have atrocious attrition because a lack of career path growth and are out of touch with the market competitive compensation packages.
    HR has clearly lost their way and the loss of key people reflect that.
    Still can't work out how to make themselves a viable business in the direct space with so much reliance on Accenture for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither finally let go of the Accenture apron strings and really become your own entity or face the reality you are just a low cost body shop for your parent.
    Fix HR and the lack of leadership in that organization.
    Understand that recognizing and rewarding with a one size fits all mentality is effecting how you attract and retain people in some very competitive markets you so desperately say are important to you. This is even more evident with a lack of senior female leaders in the organization.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing team of individuals to work with

ConsI have no problems with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management

Great company for college grads, developing skills with the Microsoft stack

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent to start off with out of college. If you want to learn the Microsoft stack, there is no better place to learn it. They invest 80 hours a year in training and pay for your MS certifications, which is way more than you get elsewhere. Also, everyone from top to bottom seems like they care which is much different than the bigger companies. It seems like you have some level of control in your career which you won't get at other big companies either. Good benefits.

ConsThey don't carry enough weight. The main issue is that they have problems closing deals. I have been assigned to multiple projects that we were supposed to sign that just fell through to another company. They only provide a couple weeks of vacation which is pretty low. They have annual sick leave, but you never really get the opportunity to use it because you can always work from home unless you are seriously ill. Also, the teams are usually very small. That could be a good thing, but for me it just felt isolated. Otherwise, same issues as consulting in general: work life balance, limited role selection, etc.

Innovative, fun, Best Place to Work!

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people! Access to CEO, COO, etc Red tape is non-existent . Love the idea of having one manager for project and another focused on my career development.

ConsIf you cannot work in a virtual environment-this is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting career development and mentoring.

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!