Avanade

Avanade Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Avanade CEO Adam Warby

Adam Warby

Pros:
  • "Good team work environment, good work/life balance, good compensation"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off"
    in 45 reviews
  • "Long hours, pay is a little below that of another firm such as Accenture"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My experience at Avanade was phenomenal.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company was, and by all reports is, very exciting to work with and always offered interesting clients and projects.

ConsFor some the continual travel might be tiresome but I found it to be exciting. The company held some great team-building and recognition events and also had a very good bonus structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike all large and growing companies, internal politics could sometimes rise up, especially in times of belt-tightening but if you have to work as an FTE then politics are a part of life.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than a year

ProsStress less place to work

ConsNothing found yet. It is nice place to work.

Rapid Response Engineer

Rapid Response Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time for less than a year

ProsLow stress environment. Very little customer interaction for this position. Free Microsoft Certification Testing. Opportunities to move up within the company after testing completion. Resources and assistance available 24x7.

Cons12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule. Leadership does not coordinate well with shared sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementSites are not unilateral on procedures and management styles. If same procedures are being utilized then why two different sets of instructions? Accountability is skewed on site accountability depending on which manager is on shift.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to gain experience

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsGreat access to training
Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies
If in the right region, the travel benefits are amazing

ConsSalary isn't competitive
Really hard to travel if you live in a high growth area

Stepping Stone, Not Corner Stone of a Career

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits for "quality of life." Given the right leadership alignment one can create opportunities for themselves within Avanade with the solid business case. Great career development model and learning/training repository. Global company provides exposure to international and diverse project work.

ConsWork-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off. Compensation is low to avg and they will take as much as you give, then ask for more. Like most companies of the similar size and model advancement opportunities are based on internal politics over achievements. Leadership is not consistent, some sectors have strong leaders while others have no business being in people/career management of any sort. For an "innovative" technology company, most of the innovation is externally focused leaving internal process and technology antiquated. Since Accenture leads and owns most of the projects, Sr level/Exec advancements opportunities are hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to give advice to upper manager, as I'm not really sure how much influence they have over Accenture who pretty much runs the show.

un-inspiring but large Microsoft provider of offshore services

Group Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig companies have specialists to do every type of job function, so good for specialists who don't like to do multiple things, although not a good place for technology generalists for the same reason.

ConsIn my opinion: People are not developed via their archaic stack ranking/quota system. Promotions gained thru popularity and politics and not through skills development.

Most executives (SVPs and up) don't get their hands dirty at the customer/project level, yet have all the answers on non-stop internal conference calls.

Old boy Accenture / Microsoft nepotism at executive leadership level. If you worked for Microsoft or Accenture 20 years ago and have a relationship, you are qualified to be a CVP or higher at Avanade.

Most projects are run by Accenture hard as*es (kindly labeled 'drivers'). These folks will expect you to work all hours due to over-promising, or just because they have nothing better to do but to go back to the hotel. At best you are treated like a sub-contractor and lack a seat at the table. Accenture takes all of the leadership roles on projects, leaving Avanade the individual contributor roles which can limit your growth.

Advice to Senior Management1) aspire to be more than an average offshore heavy staffing agency for Microsoft skills.

2) Strip all of the Accenture numbers out of your P&L and look at your true management effectiveness over the past 10 years. Stop confusing Accenture revenue growth with Avanade brand success.

3) Ditch the direct sales force, and management layers. Fold the consultants into real Accenture orgs and allow consultants to be on par with their Accenture cohorts.

A good company to chart a long term career with

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are good career advancement opportunities and it is clear when you need to do for advancement. Good variety in job types and flexibility in where and when you work.

ConsAccenture owns Avanade and pushed processes that are designed for the worlds largest companies down, which creates too much process at the 1,000 to 5,000 seat clients, of which we have many.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight size the process. Smaller accounts should have less process than larger.

Wonderful People, Exciting Culture

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStrong focus on training; fantastic initiatives for Diversity and Inclusion that other companies should follow; talented people with a fun company culture; wonderful flexible work possibilities (depending on role); And of course technology and innovation are a high priority

ConsSometimes the flexible work options makes it hard to separate your work and personal time. We are so enabled with our technology that almost any device can keep you working where ever you are, so sometimes you feel you have to. A lot of people seem to check email at all hours of the day so there can be a pressure to do the same. Also, as a global company, you may have to take off-hours calls because if your team is not local. This makes work-life balance difficult to maintain.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to invest more in the core services. Avanade has doubled in just a couple of years, but we don't take the time to grow the supporting teams that are the backbone of the company. The executive leadership team needs to realize that the year-over-year growth requirements are going to need larger budget increases (at least occasionally) to the "overhead" side of the company so that both technology AND staff can be grown. Currently increasing headcount has to be sacrificed in order for spend to be redirected into supporting business efforts and this is no sustainable. We do great work for other companies, we need to stop and invest in ourselves as well.

Worked on some internal tools for the company, a KB for consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avanade

ProsGreat people, excellent training, great management. The culture was a good mix of Microsoft and a big 5 accounting firm, i.e. very professional

ConsNone, really; most consultants travel extensively.

Amazing company

ITS Hosting, Networking & Information Security (Former Employee)

I worked at Avanade as an intern

Prostons of advancement opportunities. brilliant coworkers

Consstill a smaller company, may not be a con

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!

Avanade – Why Work for Us?

(Please press the Pause button on any video in progress before playing additional videos.) We start by creating solutions based on our winning combination of insight, innovation, and deep knowledge of Microsoft… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avanade reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avanade CEO Adam Warby. All 434 reviews posted anonymously by Avanade employees.