Avanade Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.5

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business (in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off (in 51 reviews)

• No work life balance, be prepared to work 12 to 16 hour days (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, outstanding benefits and employee focused career management

Cons

Lots of politics that can impact career growth

provide more growth opportunities to project delivery teams

Great Place, Great Environment, Great People

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Great culture, smart people, excellent benefits, awesome training, no manager (yes, has concept of Career Manager who helps you grow within the company professionally, they are more like mentors/friends and do care for people whom they mentor). As this is consulting firm, managers are more project based. Over all great people to work with. No serious complains. You work hard/smart and eventually get rewarded.

Cons

You might spend periods on bench (without project... but not a big issue) as Avanade is very picky about the projects and do not sign up client by lowering rates just to win (i guess that's Pro actually). Might end up doing lots of travelling (this is pre-condition before joining usually for most positions, unless otherwise clearly stated). Based on project, may end up working long hours (who doesn't now a days)

Keep doing what you do best, maintain the culture.

Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great training, great compensation and great people. Fantastic place to start your career.

Cons

All the great leaders have left or are leaving. All the incompetent leaders are staying
    Avanade's failure to develop its direct non Accenture revenue has resulted in Avanade becoming the second class citizen of Accenture.

I recently went to a global training for newly promoted directors. It was a great conference.

Each student was asked to name a great manager that they admired. Several names were came up multiple times "Mitch Hill, Richard Von Hagen, Adam Warby, Sean Jazayeri, Mike Gilkey, Dale Christian". Someone observed that most of the great leaders have left.

That evening, a few of us got together and someone asked us to name the leaders we admire the least. Several names came up repeatedly. Unfortunately, all of them are still at Avanade.

So my question to Avanade is why is that the more respected leaders left or are leaving?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start career

Former Employee - Solutions Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offered a lengthy transition program for new college grads of about 5 weeks.

Cons

Not a lot of say on client that you will be assigned to

Ultimately, I was part of layoffs during economic down turn, unfortunately I didn't see it coming at all. Maybe a little better communication of hard times. Instead, they had us come in for a week of training and then on Friday laid off a lot of us.

To date I have lived the best experiences and challenges in my career at Avanade.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Recife, Pernambuco (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Recife, Pernambuco (Brazil)

I have been working at Avanade as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Friendship, meet new people and different cultures. Good benefits.

Cons

The biggest challenges we encounter are making good deliveries in shorter periods with different technologies.

Avanade does push collaboration

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working here has been a huge beneficial experience. Coworkers assist with your ambitions giving you the opportunities to grow as much as you would like, coming to work is something to look forward to.

Cons

Small amounts of typical work cons such as processes still in development as well as some micro management with individuals trying to claim their place in the company. Overall minimal issues compared to most other businesses and is far within a tolerable range.

Focus more on developing internal resources proactively.

Great opportunities and really smart people!

I have been working at Avanade

Pros

The company provides so many ways to contribute, learn and lead. I've found so many smart people to learn from! The training is amazing and the culture is fun, challenging and supportive all at once. I'm also very pleased to see the amount of communication and recognition the company invests in.
    I am lovin' it so far!

Cons

It's not a company for those who want a slow pace. If you are part of the delivery channel, you need to keep yourself relevant, up to date, and constantly delivering. This is not for everyone. I personally love that aspect of it but have heard from others that it is a lot to keep up with.

Keep the culture of community and recognition going. This is a really great aspect of the place.

A very friendly and driven company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extended Benefits is nice.
    Interesting customers and opportunities
    Great colleagues

Cons

Work life balance isn't as good as prescribed.
    No work from home contracts based out of Avanade or Accenture offices
    Not much direct work, mostly working with Accenture.

Great people, great processes, great technology

I have been working at Avanade full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation & benefits, access to latest MS technology, interesting large-scale projects, respectful and transparent culture, rational organizational structure. No other company does global Microsoft projects that really stretch the bounds of the products.

Cons

As with any large company, it takes time to learn how to navigate the org, understand go-to-market strategies and solution offerings, There is plenty of support to get that done.

Keep up the good work!

An innovating and fast growing IT company!

Former Employee - Junior Online Marketer  in  Almere-Stad (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Junior Online Marketer in Almere-Stad (Netherlands)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

An innovating and fast growing IT company with lots of room for self improvement. Interesting customer driven projects and very sociable colleagues. Many training and learning opportinities.

Cons

The marketing department was a bit small when I worked there (as was the marketing budget) leaving us little room to create 'wild' marketingcampaigns. But the company has grown a lot since then, so I am not sure if this is still a con for the current marketers.

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!