Avanade Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
3.5

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business (in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is hard to come by if you have a family or want any time off (in 51 reviews)

• No work life balance, be prepared to work 12 to 16 hour days (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to learn and stretch capabilities.

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company focus on training, salary is competitive, flexible work hours.

Cons

Too many senior managers doing staff level work can limit opportunities. In an all hands kickoff, broadcasted globally, the CEO was openly dismissive of the comments by the VP of Marketing (the only executive woman on the dais), which were actually quite good. Sent a loud, if unintentional, message about the real position of women in the company.

Mange, plan and take a more strategic approach and let staff be the doers. Forget the International Women's Day and other diversity pandering and provide real advancement opportunities. Could start with improving the top brass' attitudes toward a woman who is truly performing.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, outstanding benefits and employee focused career management

Cons

Lots of politics that can impact career growth

provide more growth opportunities to project delivery teams

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focus on Microsoft technology, so there is a very good place for learning .NET platform technology.

Cons

No owned office, need to onsite to customers' to do projects, no sense of belonging.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So Close, but so Far Away from being a Great company !!!

Former Employee - Analyst Solution Developer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst Solution Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Great training programs and Extended Benefits.
    2) Experience with diversified projects and cutting edge technology.
    3) Support from Career Manager. This company has the best career manager to counselee relationship who would continuously advise for your improvement.

Cons

My career started in this company with so much hope and I was convinced that I joined the best company in the world. However, it took me one year to understand what's wrong with the company.

1) They have great training programs, but take it with a pinch of a salt. The training hours will be additional to your regular project work load and you won't get paid for it.

2) There is no personal life. I ended up doing overtime ( from 8 AM in the morning till 9/10 PM at night) for most of the projects. The sales team would promise anything to win the contract, however, if the developers cannot deliver the project on time, then they are not efficient. As a result, all the project members are doing overtime.

3) You will be paid for overtime only if it exceeds 20% of your regular working time and even then you will be paid only the difference of that 20% hour. For example, working 51 hours in a week would entitle you to get 1 hour of overtime in a 40 hours regular workload.

4) There are only 10 business days of vacation whereas most of the other companies out there provide more than 15 business days for the entire year.

5) The worst part is the politics. On the surface level, it looks really great and free of politics. However, you work for a while to see actually all the top management is involved in politics. This was reflected in my projects too. A project manager even gave me poor rating just because I kept myself away from the dirty politics.

6) You can do more training while you are on bench. However, stay a bit longer in bench even though it's not your fault that company is not getting any new projects, prepare yourself for a layoff.

Advice to the management will not work as majority of them are involved in dirty politics. Too many incompetent project managers were promoted due to the politics and project quality has gone down. I am glad that I resigned from this company after one year.

Good company to grow in

Current Employee - Group Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with a great team, and have grown tremendously over the past several years with my soft skills.

Cons

Lot's of processes that are slowing down the agility of this company.

Work on getting our processes streamlined so we can be more adaptive to our customers.

Was good!

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Recife, Pernambuco (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Recife, Pernambuco (Brazil)

I have been working at Avanade full-time for less than a year

Pros

the company's benefits, the company values and the people there

Cons

salary below of the market.

Solid performing company;

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people! Singular focus on Microsoft makes for more integrated approach to building out service offerings. Mark

Cons

Some "good old boy" thinking at the most senior levels.

Provide true opportunities (not lip service) for employees to move in to new areas of business to gain experience and/or demonstrate talents in areas other than originally hired for.

Great organization to work

Former Employee - Project Lead  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Project Lead in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Avanade/Accenture work in collaboration in Singapore in multiple projects. Employees are granted access to a senior staff as a mentor and they work in co-ordination mapping future career map of the employee.Management defends employees and supports them in case of any issues with clients.

Cons

Should consider bonus/hike percentage owing to increasing cost of living in Singapore. Should encourage more technical training for employees to empower them.

Good

I have been working at Avanade full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Training, people, projects,

Cons

Challenging projects, durations, At times project are fun:)

Great Place, Great Environment, Great People

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Great culture, smart people, excellent benefits, awesome training, no manager (yes, has concept of Career Manager who helps you grow within the company professionally, they are more like mentors/friends and do care for people whom they mentor). As this is consulting firm, managers are more project based. Over all great people to work with. No serious complains. You work hard/smart and eventually get rewarded.

Cons

You might spend periods on bench (without project... but not a big issue) as Avanade is very picky about the projects and do not sign up client by lowering rates just to win (i guess that's Pro actually). Might end up doing lots of travelling (this is pre-condition before joining usually for most positions, unless otherwise clearly stated). Based on project, may end up working long hours (who doesn't now a days)

Keep doing what you do best, maintain the culture.

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!