Avanade

www.avanade.com
Employer Engaged

Just an okay place to work, has the potential to be great

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade

Pros

Training and career path are good and well defined.

Cons

Expects a lot of its employees and isn't good at work life balance. Very few doors open to women in leadership roles even though they talk a lot about it.

The COO is inexperienced , brash and generally unsupportive. He makes business decisions based upon very small samples of information and is totally out of touch with the consultants. A 2 billion dollar company could do much better.

Superior collaborative environment

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top 5 reasons to consider working here:
    1) The collaboration is amazing.
    2) There is full communication across all levels within the company (Analyst to Director).
    3) Intellectual knowledge is freely shared, which makes learning a joy.
    4) Your worth is measured by your product knowledge - rather than your title.
    5) The training opportunities are exceptional. Certifications, classes, professional development - all inclusive.

Cons

Top 3 reasons to look elsewhere:
    1) Accenture owns Avanade and the work cultures are very different. One rough Accenture project (and there's plenty of those) and you'll be on LInkedIn looking for your next opportunity.
    2) An overly collaborative environment unfortunately sacrifices any chance for true leadership development. There are plenty of Managers, but exceptionally few leaders here. Accenture is not looking for leaders with their hired help.
    3) The bonuses/pay-raises are insulting.

Keep on keepin' on. Be great if we could buy-out from Accenture, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Meh - Take it or leave it

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity for learning and growing, good benefits, intelligent people (at least in certain areas).

Cons

There is a lot of corporate bloat, slow-to-grasp people, and a lack of transparency.

Be more open and transparent about what you do and don't know.

Great company still growing

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Works very closely with Accenture and Microsoft so great exposure for young professionals starting careers.

Cons

Avanade strongly believes in Microsoft products and that is great however sometimes there are other products that are not widely adopted because they are not Microsoft.

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Different client, different technology. good to learn and get experience

Cons

Salary is almost close to average

I like working for avanade. I get pretty full control over my own destiny at the company.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cons

the compensation is not market leading

Can't think of a worse place to work at

Former Employee - Business Analyst - Consultant
    Former Employee - Business Analyst - Consultant

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Happy hour events are fun
    -Some coworkers are really fun to hang out with
    -Not much else, really

Cons

-I guess anyone with positive remarks of this company must have not worked at a legitimate job before... so they don't know how a truly 'good' job can be intellectually interesting, challenging, high-paying, with good skill-set growth opportunities... none of which applies to this job even remotely
    -I left this company a while ago, but recently learned that my friend who used to work here got laid off since he was on bench (unstaffed) for months, where the company wasn't able to find enough projects for its resources. Following this, I feel obliged to warn people considering joining this firm (or any other 'consulting' gig like this) with sobering facts that I've witnessed
    -During my stint, I witnessed DOZENS of such lay offs as described above within just one fiscal year
    -If you are on functional team ('Business Analyst', 'Consultant', whatever), only skills you are building is Microsoft Word (how to write documents) and front-end Microsoft technologies (AX, CRM, SharePoint, etc). Most projects are IT implementation body-augmentation projects where the most interesting work you could ever hope to do is to talk to clients and write down their notes. If not, you are stuck for months on 'testing' the system, doing garbage work such as writing test scripts, etc. I would be surprised if anyone thinks such tasks are either interesting, or if anyone actually believes such job experiences helps your career from skill-set standpoint
    -Mediocre coworkers in terms of talent. I've met many people here who couldn't do 6th grade-level algebra. Now that I think about it, you probably don't need much intellect nor skills to do the job at this company, at least on the functional side...
    -Very little skill development: if you go up to a manager-level employee on the functional side, and ask him/ her to do a simple task in Excel or SQL, chances are overwhelming that they probably couldn't do a thing. Actually, most likely, they probably don't even know what 'Pivot Table' is or 'Left Join' implies, which testifies to the lack of skill-set growth on jobs like these.
    -This job, in most cases, leads to a dead-end career. If you are happy to do mindless IT implementation work for the rest of your life doing tasks like testing, documentation, or what not, this is the job for you. If you actually want a job where you can expect to do some type of data analysis, or where using your brain is not frowned upon, don't even consider taking this job. (or other 'consulting' gigs like this one - Pure IT staff augmentation gigs)
    -Overall, this job gets a terrible review from me (and a lot of people I knew at the firm shared the sentiments above) due to: lack of job security, lack of interesting work, lack of project work, lack of skill-set growth, extremely political working environment, and lack of 'normal' working conditions (you need to travel to random places weekly for this gig)
    -One last remark. One time a coworker that used to be on the same project as me doing 2 months of 'testing' the system asked me why I looked so depressed. My reply: "This job sucks"

Senior analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large clients bonus potential and good relationships

Cons

Depends on your career manager you have and support

NA

Premiere MSFT Technologies Services Provider - You'll Get Out Of It What You Put Into It

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Avanade is a top-tier consulting services provider that offers the best of both Microsoft's and Accenture's services organizations strengths. For its customer facing technology consultants and delivery managers it provides never a dull moment, challenging and rewarding work assignments. As a year-over-year global growth organization there are plentiful opportunities for individual growth based on one's capabilities. One should only be limited at Avanade by what one is willing to put into their career - in my experience a real "meritocracy." If one wishes to gain exposure to cutting edge Microsoft technologies implemented at the largest Fortune level organizations then this is the place. Very compressed experience - for example, 5 years at Avanade is equivalent to 10 years of typical corporate experience. Excellent salary, bonuses and benefits including top of the line health insurance, 80 hours of required annual training time and a technology purchase "extended benefits" budget of up to $2K provided annually. Excellent training and best in class individual professional development support provided from entry level through junior, senior and executive level positions.

Cons

Top tier IT services consulting is challenging and not for the faint of heart. It takes absolute dedication and willingness to constantly compete in a stable of thoroughbreds to succeed at this level - especially at Avanade. Experiences will vary over time and across projects and customer cultures but often significant personal sacrifices are required including near constant travel; demanding schedules like nights, weekends, getting up at 4:30 am on Sundays to fly across the country and getting back home at 9 pm or later on Fridays for months on end. I've worked away on the road through more (and at home through major holidays) birthdays and family milestone occasions than I can recount. Also Avanade in my view has become bloated around unnecessary and excessive layers of process, policy and internal oversight organizations seemingly needing to justify their existence through regularly implementing, changing and re-implementing Byzantine layers of reviews, approvals, added costs to customers and hoops to be jumped through leading to an inability to be agile around supporting innovative and new business development pursuits and opportunities. These constantly increasing layers of processes spill over into other areas including performance review and delivery of customer projects. Top technical talent are routinely tapped for opaque internal roles developing assets and technology offerings in isolation and often of questionable real value rather than supporting the business where more needed at the major account and customer level.

Perpetual growth for growth's sake and executive level management by spreadsheet is eating away at Avanade's rah-rah, can-do-anything, customer focused fabric. The larger Avanade becomes the more important it is to work harder to maintain its high energy, start-up like, innovative and tightly-knit culture. Bring back en-mass area level fly-backs or airlifts; sponsor, fund and support regularly scheduled regional -and- service line level community events; send more key delivery level technologists to external major industry events. Penny wise operational skimping in these areas will over time undermine Avanade's greatest assets - its people and more importantly its tightly knit culture.

Human Resources Is More Trouble Than Help

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For promotions they attempt to be as far as possible during calibration

Cons

The criteria necessary for being promotion are not well defined. Excuse is given to every employee is, "You are responsible for your career." So you're left to guess what are the best possible choices to take throughout the year. It is largely luck based on what engagement you may be fortunate to get on.