Avanade

Updated November 24, 2014
3.5

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business (in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is not balanced - the time commitment expectations are unreal (in 52 reviews)

• Based on project, may end up working long hours (who doesn't now a days) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

I worked at Avanade

Pros

Amazing team of individuals to work with

Cons

I have no problems with this company.

I have no advice for management

Great company for college grads, developing skills with the Microsoft stack

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent to start off with out of college. If you want to learn the Microsoft stack, there is no better place to learn it. They invest 80 hours a year in training and pay for your MS certifications, which is way more than you get elsewhere. Also, everyone from top to bottom seems like they care which is much different than the bigger companies. It seems like you have some level of control in your career which you won't get at other big companies either. Good benefits.

Cons

They don't carry enough weight. The main issue is that they have problems closing deals. I have been assigned to multiple projects that we were supposed to sign that just fell through to another company. They only provide a couple weeks of vacation which is pretty low. They have annual sick leave, but you never really get the opportunity to use it because you can always work from home unless you are seriously ill. Also, the teams are usually very small. That could be a good thing, but for me it just felt isolated. Otherwise, same issues as consulting in general: work life balance, limited role selection, etc.

Innovative, fun, Best Place to Work!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people! Access to CEO, COO, etc Red tape is non-existent . Love the idea of having one manager for project and another focused on my career development.

Cons

If you cannot work in a virtual environment-this is not for you.

Continue supporting career development and mentoring.

Great place to work

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Great work environment and opportunity to work with latest technilogies

Cons

I do not have any complaints about the company.

Great place, if you don't mind the travel

I have been working at Avanade

Pros

The people here are for the most part incredible. They are very smart, well rounded & very approachable. I've met so many great individuals here, and have made more than a few friends. Lots of emphasis is placed on training, with good (not always great) resources at your disposal. There's no question in my mind that if you jump in with both feet, you will get great experience here. You will be challenged to excel towards excellence, and be given the guidance/feedback to grow.

Cons

Some people love regular traveling, though I view it as a negative. I do enjoy occasional traveling, but not fond of the long-term traveling engagements. Also, the career management here, while it has many strengths in terms of the people involved, I believe suffers from an overall process viewpoint (mainly the system used to track project feedback and growth).

Great people and great experience; lots of training; travel perks

Current Employee - Infrastructure Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture; People are awesome;

Cons

Extensive travel; Promotions are difficult due to working with so many managers on different engagements

Promote across the company and not just the technical folks

Worst working experience of my life

Former Employee - Functional Consultant
    Former Employee - Functional Consultant

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Better than being unemployed
    -Lots of free time for people on bench
    -Minimal work on Fridays

Cons

-Poor pay
    -Totally unnecessary and meaningless weekly travel to client sites (that is if you are staffed)
    -Terribly boring work
    -You get to build very specialized skill-set (only front-end microsoft stuff), not ideal for getting jobs after this company
    -You get to build VERY little set of skills in the core skills, such as Excel, SQL, Access, etc if you are on the functional team. Most of times, you are just doing mindless data entry into Excel, and just taking notes from endless boring client interactions. No 'analysis' of any kind involved, although your job title may be 'business analyst' or 'consultant' or whatever. Honestly a monkey can do this job. Basically the stuff that a 7th grader can do. Very little skill development.
    -This company is hands down the most disorganized organization that I've ever known to exist (both in first hand experience and from anecdotes). What happens is that the sales guys always grossly over-estimate the level of business demand for the quarter, so they always over-hire. When the sales guys don't end up closing the level of business deals they thought they would, what happens is there are tons of people who end up unstaffed - many times for months on end, who are basically doing nothing and ultimately end up getting let go. (ironic that I always got an email every 2 weeks from upper mgmt about '..due to our phenomenal growth..")
    -Extremely toxic environment to work in. On projects, people constantly gossip over each other and are busy pointing fingers in case things go south.
    -Extremely political: from getting staffed on a project to getting promoted, it's all about 'who you know' and whether the upper mgmt likes you.
    -Extremely random/ unfair review process. This is getting to detailed, so I will skip. Just be mindful that many people at this company would gladly smile in front of you and tell you that you are doing good work, but would stab you in the back later come review time.
    - Looking back, I feel like I learned very little of value during my stint at this company, and only did a ton of grunt work while I was there. I'm glad I got out and now on a job that challenges me more and gives me far better opportunity to improve my skill-set

BODY SHOP for Accenture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid while on the bench.
    Paid overtime.
    Good starting place for someone with less then 2 years experience or limited skills.

Cons

Pay is low, at least 10% below market.
    No work life balance, can’t take vacation while on a project.
    Micromanaged from both Accenture and Avande.
    401k match after 1 year (High Turnover).
    Limited to Microsoft technology.

Stop paying lip service to get people in the door.

My experience at Avanade was phenomenal.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was, and by all reports is, very exciting to work with and always offered interesting clients and projects.

Cons

For some the continual travel might be tiresome but I found it to be exciting. The company held some great team-building and recognition events and also had a very good bonus structure.

Like all large and growing companies, internal politics could sometimes rise up, especially in times of belt-tightening but if you have to work as an FTE then politics are a part of life.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stress less place to work

Cons

Nothing found yet. It is nice place to work.