Avanade

Updated January 17, 2015
3.6

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Pros
  • The work life balance is good, especially for the consulting business (in 25 reviews)

• Company is filled with experts in all Microsoft technologies (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is not balanced - the time commitment expectations are unreal (in 52 reviews)

• Based on project, may end up working long hours (who doesn't now a days) (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Training, people, projects,

Cons

Challenging projects, durations, At times project are fun:)

Has some great potential and solutions...but they're not sure what to do at times

Current Employee - Group Manager
    Current Employee - Group Manager

I have been working at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Avanade has some cool solutions built upon Microsoft's platform. The pay is good based on the level. Some smart people that direct delivery and sales.

Cons

Whipping boys to Accenture. Don't show that much respect to the Microsoft partnership. Big egos are bruised easily, and a lot of back-stabbing (make yourself look good by making others look bad). The work/life balance is not balanced - the time commitment expectations are unreal.

Great technologists don't make great managers - there is some serious lack of people skills at the management levels.

Great place to start career

Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They offered a lengthy transition program for new college grads of about 5 weeks.

Cons

Not a lot of say on client that you will be assigned to

Ultimately, I was part of layoffs during economic down turn, unfortunately I didn't see it coming at all. Maybe a little better communication of hard times. Instead, they had us come in for a week of training and then on Friday laid off a lot of us.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Able to gain a lot of job experience. Immense training resources provided. Benefits are top notch. Learn how to manage your own career in ways other jobs don't require which is partly positive. Overall a great culture, friendly co-workers, and a commitment to implement improvements not just for clients but employees.

Cons

Consulting in general is tough with travel. The demand to manage your own career, even with help, as well as meet company and client expectations is a lot.

Continue to identify, create, and implement improvements for employee's

Direct Business Doomed by Red tape

I worked at Avanade

Pros

Amazing Technical Talent, great collaboration across the BDE's and Solution Architects.

Cons

As a direct sales person, you are setup for failure from day one with the amount of paperwork and process it takes to move sales through the pipeline. There is unnecessary process and overhead models being forced down from the Executive and Accenture influence.

Not Agile. It takes 3 weeks to get ROM pricing approved. A customer loses interest and goes with a company that is responsive.

Revise the sales process, minimize the paperwork by 60%, reduce the contingency padding on the sales model to be competitive in the market.

Great talent, poor sales approach

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has very skilled and knowledgeable technical experts. Impressive library of assets to be leveraged for sales and project delivery purposes.

Cons

Typically not very cost competitive in the regional / local direct markets. Majority of services sold and delivered on Accenture's coat tails. Many internal processes that incumber speed and flexibility when working with clients.

Consider deploying local sales and delivery if you want to grow direct business

Avanade does push collaboration

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working here has been a huge beneficial experience. Coworkers assist with your ambitions giving you the opportunities to grow as much as you would like, coming to work is something to look forward to.

Cons

Small amounts of typical work cons such as processes still in development as well as some micro management with individuals trying to claim their place in the company. Overall minimal issues compared to most other businesses and is far within a tolerable range.

Focus more on developing internal resources proactively.

Great people with good employee benefits

I have been working at Avanade

Pros

The company highly promotes various kinds of training for employees;
    The people Avanade hires are the friendliest people

Cons

You often have to work closely with Accenture who shares very different values. at times this becomes an issue when managing expectations

Great people, great processes, great technology

I have been working at Avanade full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation & benefits, access to latest MS technology, interesting large-scale projects, respectful and transparent culture, rational organizational structure. No other company does global Microsoft projects that really stretch the bounds of the products.

Cons

As with any large company, it takes time to learn how to navigate the org, understand go-to-market strategies and solution offerings, There is plenty of support to get that done.

Keep up the good work!

Avanade doesn't really care about your career

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of many. I was very excited to join Avanade at first, but it didn't take long to be disillusioned

Cons

- Avanade is so focused on growth that they stopped caring about people they already have. In the 3+ years I worked there nearly every month we'd get an email about this or that benefit being "replaced with [something worse] so we can be better aligned for the future growth". What that meant most of the time is that benefits/perks were getting worse and worse as time progressed.

- Compensation is extremely sub par. I didn't realize that until I started looking for a new job. Even with other consulting companies in the area I was able to easily get offers 25-40% higher than what Avanade pays (and with better benefits).

- Don't believe recruiters when they tell you that you will be working on exciting projects with exciting clients. The clients are exciting (in the Seattle area mostly MS, but many other big names throughout the country). The truth is that most of the work is very mundane, boring and not challenging. You will be staffed on the same client for months if not years (if you're billable and client likes you, no amount of complaining will get you off a project even if it's not a good fit for you or your career).

- Nearly none of the people I started working with 3+ years ago are with the company anymore. Morale is low, attrition is high

- AvanadeU (and training opportunities) is not as great as they make it out to be. I would much rather have a subscription to PluralSight that listen to boring "lectures" over Lync. While on the client it's nearly impossible to attend any of the training sessions

- There's no company culture to speak of. You're on a client site all the time, you interact with client's employees. Because of that you are more part of the client's culture than Avanade's. But you're not an FTE at the client, so there's something very important missing. You're basically on your own and it sucks.

- Growth is not everything!! You are losing good people because you simply don't care about providing them with pay, benefits and opportunities that they deserve.
    - Stop patting yourself on the back in every company-wide email. Every deal won, every project completely was "thanks to this or that dedicated VP; I mean, yes, there were hundreds of other consultants on the project, but it's the VPs persistence that made it all happen"