Avanade

Avanade CEO Adam Warby

Adam Warby

83 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Avanade does push collaboration

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsWorking here has been a huge beneficial experience. Coworkers assist with your ambitions giving you the opportunities to grow as much as you would like, coming to work is something to look forward to.

ConsSmall amounts of typical work cons such as processes still in development as well as some micro management with individuals trying to claim their place in the company. Overall minimal issues compared to most other businesses and is far within a tolerable range.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on developing internal resources proactively.

Avanade doesn't really care about your career

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsCan't think of many. I was very excited to join Avanade at first, but it didn't take long to be disillusioned

Cons- Avanade is so focused on growth that they stopped caring about people they already have. In the 3+ years I worked there nearly every month we'd get an email about this or that benefit being "replaced with [something worse] so we can be better aligned for the future growth". What that meant most of the time is that benefits/perks were getting worse and worse as time progressed.

- Compensation is extremely sub par. I didn't realize that until I started looking for a new job. Even with other consulting companies in the area I was able to easily get offers 25-40% higher than what Avanade pays (and with better benefits).

- Don't believe recruiters when they tell you that you will be working on exciting projects with exciting clients. The clients are exciting (in the Seattle area mostly MS, but many other big names throughout the country). The truth is that most of the work is very mundane, boring and not challenging. You will be staffed on the same client for months if not years (if you're billable and client likes you, no amount of complaining will get you off a project even if it's not a good fit for you or your career).

- Nearly none of the people I started working with 3+ years ago are with the company anymore. Morale is low, attrition is high

- AvanadeU (and training opportunities) is not as great as they make it out to be. I would much rather have a subscription to PluralSight that listen to boring "lectures" over Lync. While on the client it's nearly impossible to attend any of the training sessions

- There's no company culture to speak of. You're on a client site all the time, you interact with client's employees. Because of that you are more part of the client's culture than Avanade's. But you're not an FTE at the client, so there's something very important missing. You're basically on your own and it sucks.

Advice to Senior Management- Growth is not everything!! You are losing good people because you simply don't care about providing them with pay, benefits and opportunities that they deserve.
    - Stop patting yourself on the back in every company-wide email. Every deal won, every project completely was "thanks to this or that dedicated VP; I mean, yes, there were hundreds of other consultants on the project, but it's the VPs persistence that made it all happen"

A good apple gone bad

Director (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsMostly smart people who are passionate about what they do.
    Still strong potential in some areas and countries with solid leadership in place.

ConsLost their entrepreneurial sprint as they have grown into a larger and bureaucratic enterprise.
    Way too many business units are focused on cost containment.
    Some business have atrocious attrition because a lack of career path growth and are out of touch with the market competitive compensation packages.
    HR has clearly lost their way and the loss of key people reflect that.
    Still can't work out how to make themselves a viable business in the direct space with so much reliance on Accenture for work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither finally let go of the Accenture apron strings and really become your own entity or face the reality you are just a low cost body shop for your parent.
    Fix HR and the lack of leadership in that organization.
    Understand that recognizing and rewarding with a one size fits all mentality is effecting how you attract and retain people in some very competitive markets you so desperately say are important to you. This is even more evident with a lack of senior female leaders in the organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BODY SHOP for Accenture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPaid while on the bench.
    Paid overtime.
    Good starting place for someone with less then 2 years experience or limited skills.

ConsPay is low, at least 10% below market.
    No work life balance, can’t take vacation while on a project.
    Micromanaged from both Accenture and Avande.
    401k match after 1 year (High Turnover).
    Limited to Microsoft technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying lip service to get people in the door.

Rapid Response Engineer

Rapid Response Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsLow stress environment. Very little customer interaction for this position. Free Microsoft Certification Testing. Opportunities to move up within the company after testing completion. Resources and assistance available 24x7.

Cons12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule. Leadership does not coordinate well with shared sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementSites are not unilateral on procedures and management styles. If same procedures are being utilized then why two different sets of instructions? Accountability is skewed on site accountability depending on which manager is on shift.

It was good working at Avanade

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood team work environment, good work/life balance, good compensation.

ConsQuite a bit of traveling, wish that projects can be a bit longer.

Excellent opportunity to learn and culture that supports professional growth

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsAvanade pushes the limits of technology adoption and provides employees with hardware, software and connectivity that simplifies day to day function. I am constantly challenged to innovate and then excited to share those new ideas with peers and customers alike.

ConsThere is an expectation that employees motivate and manage themselves. This can be disconcerting or challenging for some and possibly construed as a "con." Working with globally distributed teams is often challenging and occasionally frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter align goals and messaging. Support new methods for inspiring performance such as competitive games and rewards for contributing to Avanade culture and intellectual property.

Great People, business model centered around offshoring

Contract Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsWorked with some really bright, caring people
    Learned a lot of very new technology

ConsThe whole business model of Avanade revolves around maximizing the off-shored work. As a dev in the US the main task is to interface with the end customer, ensure the project stays on track, train the devs brought in on temporary work visas, and ensure that work can be off shored as soon as possible. If you're an FTE, plan on being available for early morning or late night calls with off shore groups

Practice What you Preach

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsOutstanding training and some awesome staff. Benefits and compensation are competitive. Technology is innovative and always cutting edge.

ConsCareer path is not as great as it sounds. There are levels employees can aspire to reach; however, the number of promotions is capped at each valuation period. Treat employees equally in all situations. Retain proven talent as is preached all the time. Be truthful about terminations.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should also practice what they preach. When a manager sends out a communication about how a matter should be handled, the manager should heed their own advice and handle matters per their communication.

Concern for work/life balance

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsMost of the people are genuine and helpful.

ConsTechnical people in managerial roles are not capable of managing people

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide consistent career management for senior leaders.

Worked for Avanade? Contribute to the Community!

Avanade – Why Work for Us?

(Please press the Pause button on any video in progress before playing additional videos.) We start by creating solutions based on our winning combination of insight, innovation, and deep knowledge of Microsoft… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avanade reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avanade CEO Adam Warby. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by Avanade employees.