Avanquest Software Reviews

Reset
2.4
Avanquest Software Chairman and CEO Bruno Vanryb
Bruno Vanryb

1. Lead senior designer in the creative production of digital campaigns (social, email, web banners), software packaging, l

I have been working at Avanquest Software full-time

Pros

Great environment to develop skills

Cons

There is no room for growth

Advice to Management

Push the envelop and think more outside the box

2. The truth hurts

Current Employee - Web Developer in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Avanquest Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location of the workplace is pretty nice. There are restaurants across the street and decent shopping too. Some of the people you work with are great, others...not so much.

Cons

All of the reviews I have read are pretty accurate. The 5 star review is obviously an outlier, they're either in management or HR, attempting to adjust the average score here on GD. There is NO company culture or perks, aside from awful coffee and the honor of employment. The 2-3% raises are comical, they blame it on budget and an algorithm that divides all of the allocated funds...BS. I can't speak towards the racial discrimination, but it would not surprise me. I did notice a "purge" in CS and I have heard a few jokes that are definitely NOT what you'd expect to hear in this time and place. There is no room for advancement, except to strategically align yourself under someone who will be fired, so you can take their place. Or, you could just live there and work 15 hours a day, that might work too.

Advice to Management

I'd give advice if I thought it might be taken, but I believe this place will stay the same until it shutters its doors or new management takes control.

3. Creative Department

Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Avanquest Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location: Nice variety of restaurants, great shopping, beautiful surrounding area and courtyard. You can easily get away for your breaks and lunches. Hours: I was never required to do overtime, I was able to decide if I wanted to stay late or not. If you had an appointment, no big deal. Management are very relaxed about your 'time-needs' in the creative department. People: A nice creative group to work with if you connect with them. There was a good amount of collaboration between the designers. Creative Director: Knows what they are talking about, extremely hard working, level-headed, tries to push the envelope for the company, great designer. Art Director: Very good communicator, very good with handling and explaining delicate politics, able to discern team attitude and turn it around for the better, great designer. Both Directors are experienced designers, and I never struggled with having to deal with incompetency with either of them. Projects: The projects almost never get old, you have the opportunity to follow trends and try new things. They encourage creativity (to and extent, you are still working for someone.)

Cons

Location: You're next to the freeway. (Good and Bad...) Calabasas Drivers. People: If you didn't fit in with the group, then you're really an outcast. If you don't cosy up to the directors, it is very difficult to work with them. Very Clique-ish. Way too much unnecessary drama. CD: When it comes to projects; Extremely opinionated, challenging to communicate with, does not have much time to discuss, seems to prefer agreement rather than other opinions. AD: Is sometimes unable to give immediate feedback due to CD's specific needs and wants. (Good and bad), Sometimes cannot give you a straight answer due to poor upper management choices. Some of the time, the directors are gone or too busy to discuss projects. So you have to catch them first thing. Which can sometimes overwhelm them because of how many people need to speak with them. Pay: Average fresh-out-of-college Junior Graphic Designer Salary. Projects: I wished that directors would more often tell you that something isn't going to work right away, rather than putting a bunch of time into it and then saying: 'No.' Make sure you ask a lot of questions before you become invested in your design.

Advice to Management

Upper Management: Please take the time to understand that design is not easy, and can't be done with a click of a button. You want your products and your marketing to look professional? Pay for it. Get your information in on time, make sure it's all correct, hire people to manage all of the projects you want to get done. It's a huge job to try to keep tabs on all of the projects coming through. Hire an organized individual to help your marketing and creative teams. Give your designers more credit and more time to design. You will have better work for it. Advice to Directors: Be straight when your designers are just getting started on a project, ask them questions, and be kind and constructive when you are going to rip their designs apart. It will save you time, and build better working relationships. Don't encourage drama and stop talking behind everyone's backs, your employees follow your example. Kindness, Respect, and Compassion go a long way. Please get some professional development on building leadership skills and team building.

5. graphic designer

I have been working at Avanquest Software

Pros

The off is in a great location

Cons

The pay scale is low for the artists.

Advice to Management

you get what you pay for

6. I learned a lot

I worked at Avanquest Software

Pros

It was fun to work with so many other young graphic designers

Cons

the weird hours and the cubicles

7. Worst company

I have been working at Avanquest Software

Pros

The only good thing to say is that it's located in beautiful Calabasas, that's it.

Cons

All the negative reviews that you see about this company are true. I'd not even recommend my worst enemy to work for this company. A lot of people do not last long at this company, they are hired and fired a few weeks later. I hate to say this but I've also seen a lot of racial discrimination swept under the rug. There needs to be a real clean up of the whole management team, even HR. Employees have rights and need to be treated with respect. I have known quite a few nice and hard working people who were fired for the most unreasonable excuses. My advise for anything considering to apply for a job in this company is to stay far away, especially if you are someone of color.

Advice to Management

Current management needs to be replaced, it's pretty much the worst and least professional company out there that I know of.

Terrible experience

I worked at Avanquest Software

Pros

Good location and not much else.

Cons

Low salary, weak benefits, no organization or communication, no opportunity for growth, unhappy workers, constant crisis mode.

Old time company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Avanquest Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Low stress environment - Good people - Great hours

Cons

- 0 company culture - Absolutely no working from home except on very rare occasions -10 day PTO per year + 5 holidays (New Years, July 4th, Labor day, Thanksgiving, Christmas) - CEO & president too micro managing

Advice to Management

Invest more on employees. There are hardly any perks. HR needs to bring this company to the 21st century.

Worked for them as a Customer Service Representative for Planetart.com.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Avanquest Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is located in beautiful Calabasas. They provide free food once or twice a week.

Cons

Absolutely the least professional company I have ever worked for! A group of us Customer Service Representatives were let go because management claimed our training test scores were unsatisfactory. Problem with this though is our trainers gave us our scores days before this. I received a 94, while everyone else I spoke to received mid to high 90's, including one person who received a 100. It turns out the reason they let us go is because they over hired for the season, and over estimated the demand in their product. The truth is for the time we were working there, there were no leads coming in for us Customer Service Representatives. We would receive maybe 4 or 5 phone calls a day and few emails because they were reserved for the more senior members. The least they could have done was be truthful about the reason for our group's dismissal. Even in termination though, they find a way to screw you over even more. I was let go over a week ago and I have still not received my final check from them. All my efforts in contacting them to resolve this have been futile. Technically, an employee is supposed to receive their final check upon termination, or at the very latest, 72 hours after the fact, from what I understand.

Advice to Management

Consider a revision in your practices. Also seriously consider a change in management in the Customer Service Department. Also, get a better feel for the demand of your products so you avoid making this mistake again.

A good stepping stone in the short term, but hard to recommend for the long term.

I worked at Avanquest Software full-time

Pros

+Lots of great, enthusiastic people that still work there. +Great place to learn the "ins" and "outs" of basic E-Commerce, Web Development, and Application Marketing. +Strong customer service support and department. +Food and dining in the area is full of options; Calabasas, CA in general is a great place to work.

Cons

-Low-ball pay; If you do not negotiate a higher salary at the start, do not expect a raise no matter how hard you work or how many overtime hours you devote to each project. -Benefits are poor; 401k is not matching, and healthcare policy not directly accepted by many physicians. -Strange management decisions; Too much mistaking of arrogance for intelligence among current management, and many new hires; Micromanaging 3 in-house developers with 6 or more project managers. Constant "meetings" schedule that is often counter productive to actual work. -Revolving door of new hires; People are hired & fired before barely working there for a month or two, or quit after a few months because they are unsatisfied. -Unprofessionalism; In-house managers and leads are notorious for their potty mouth and making jokes in poor taste; Widespread tardiness among the majority of the staff; Observed personal issues and problems spilling into the workplace that created unnecessary drama; Some employees equate "multitasking" with being able to watch Netflix, surf Facebook, and make personal phone calls while at their desk. -Failure to meet deadlines, often; Poor documentation on virtually all aspects of their web development projects. Poor communication between offshore developers and onshore developers. -Equipment allocation is poor; Best stuff is often given to people who do not really need it (i.e. Management), while those actively working to design or test the products and services are left with hand-me-down garbage gear, or simply forced to do without necessary gear that could yield better products and results.

Advice to Management

-Please stop mistaking loud, arrogant "know-it-alls" with no degrees for those who actually have certifications, quantifiable experience leading people, and shipping products. -Actually following-up on background checks for new employees before hiring them full-time, would be nice. -Endless meetings =/= Work. -Be professionals, and start actively working to meet modern industry standards for documentation, equipment, and project management.

RSS Feed </> Embed