Avanquest Software

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bruno Vanryb

Fair

ProsNice people with good heart

ConsPoor technology, follow other mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop product more

Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsNothing good to say about te company

ConsPoor technology, lack of skilled professionals. Too much lay-off, non-stop hiring-firing...
    Poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professionals dontt save on people, don't save on good ERP system.

Great people, strict deadlines

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great. Working with them everyday is why I enjoyed coming to work so much. Its nice when a group of people can collaborate and work together nicely.

Consstrict deadlines, overtime with little compensation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software company can't keep up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsIf you pay your dues in the position, you gain experience in the software industry; Calabasas location is close to great shops and dining,

ConsCared too much about marketing dated products, software is outclassed by online offerings,

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the industry and learn how to adapt more quickly

Quality Assurance Manage

ProsGreat colleagues, Very flexible hours

ConsPoor business decisions the last few years. Poor benefits

Good company and working experience.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsGood company to work for. As an employee you are not micro manage as long as you are completing the work and your customers are happy. The work environment overall is friendly and comfortable. Very good in working with employees to for special situations. Ample vacation and sick days provided.

ConsPay is slightly below industry standards. Medical benefits are not as good as when i started with the company.

Laid back atmosphere, on the job training, and no micromanagement.

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people at Avanquest are great, intelligent, and are very laid back people. Major releases can get a bit hectic, but everyone buckles down and gets the job done. I think what I enjoyed the most about Avanquest is their willingness to train and advance others within the company.

Other pros would be good benefits (especially health), mostly 9-5 hours, and rather lax on lunch scheduling.

ConsThe company lacks innovation and is in desperate need of new ideas. The upper management is trying to steer the ship in a new direction, but it is so hard to do this when we still have so much legacy cruft that we must support.

I would be a bit weary of their future prospects, as they do not seem to allow us enough time to truly innovate, and polish our products in an already rapidly shrinking market.

Lastly, the pay at Avanquest is just flat out terrible to be honest. It is great for getting your start in the industry, but the lack of salary increases really starts to wear on a person over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees (i.e. slightly better equipment 8 year old machines just don't help), and allow us to actually innovate, improve, and polish the product!

great place for newbies, others should stay away

(Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

Prosfor someone who's just starting their career or is at the junior level, this place is great to gain a lot of experience. although the company's been around for 20+ years, there isn't one unified system that one can use to do their job. you are expected to learn their many in-house systems in order to complete your task.

Consthe company is run by two very hands-on ceos. they will micro-manage every part of the business and if you happen to have to work with them directly, expect to stress and lose a lot of sleep.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your people and the tools they need to get the job done.

Does not use any Silicon Valley principles of leadership and management.

Sales (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsIt's a low stress environment. This is a good thing if you're good at your job and self-motivated and can get things done. You can operate under the radar for a long time and it's strictly 9-5.

ConsUnfortunately, the low stress culture allows a porous opening for dead wood employees to hang onto their positions and drag down other employees. Make a mistake? No problem! Forget a deadline? Oh, things happen! People either take advantage of it or don't have any motivation to do their jobs with any semblence of accountability. The offices are also horrible: essentially a rundown strip mall office complex where employees are mixed among other companies. The physical environment can be depressing. The software list itself has some good titles but mostly substandard; it would be embarrassing to pass some of the titles on to friends. The stock price has fallen 90% in the past year but the employees got only upbeat reports in the annual dog and pony show and then co-workers mysteriously start disappearing to "pursue other projects". Makes people really want to keep their heads down, shut up and avoid being laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear goals for employees, make everyone accountable, communicate honestly, stop the culture of operating like a 2nd grade class where everyone gets a pat people on the back for showing up.

Good, stress free environment, but not a very good place if you want compatible compensations.

IT Manager (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsI don't know how the rest of the company operates, and I'm only familiar with the Nova Development division which operates out of Calabasas, CA... Good people. No drama. Casual atmosphere. Easy going management. Stable company. No one gives you a hard time, and everyone is easy to get along with. People laugh and joke with each other all the time. In some positions, company is flexible with the hours. Excellent learning experience, if you want to learn new and different things, this is the place to work. They're open to new ideas and they're always welcome. They have quarterly meetings with the employees, letting them know what's going on in the company.

ConsI'm not too sure how the rest of the company operates, but my views are only on the Nova Development division which operates out of Calabasas, CA... Hard work is not properly rewarded. You can work hundreds of hours of over time and all you will get is a "thank you". Opportunities for advancement are hard to come by. The overall employee turnaround is fairly high... If you do an absolutely amazing job, do things that no one else can, do the work of litterly several people, you will get a 4.5% annual pay increase. If you only do great at your job and do what your job description requires, you will only get a 3% increase at most.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce in a while, reward excellent and hard work with monetary compensations, and not just a simple "Thank you" :)

Worked for Avanquest Software? Contribute to the Community!