AvantCredit

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.6

Al Goldstein

Best startup I've been a part of!

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a fast growing company with so much potential. There is a lot of opportunity to really progress in your career. Also, the team has some of the smartest people I have ever worked with, which challenges you in a good way! The company is very generous, going above and beyond with perks and benefits.

Cons

You have to want to work hard to work here. But on the plus side, you will be rewarded for that hard work. Also, the company is growing so fast that things change everyday (flexibility is a must).

Verification Rep

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

relaxed and fun atmosphere, great location

Cons

Stuck in a role, if you not a certain few no room for growth. Low pay

'It's in the Handbook'

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AvantCredit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent downtown location making travel easy via train. Casual, laid back office. So-so coffee. Somewhat decent pay. Some sharp people there with solid advice. Benefits. Opportunities to change departments and/or personally develop which is liberal for a call center.

Cons

Start-ups can be very exciting but taxing with rapid growth and development which may lead to growing pains. AvantCredit is no exception to the rule. What, with its fantastic size: day-to-day work includes many changes on the fly and daily updates both minuscule and crucial to policies that gravely affect the work of an employee, representative to manager alike. They may come at any time, and they may or may not affect employability within the office.

The main problem is the reliance on fractured technology. A standard VoIP phone client is used that was reasonable when the center was the size of a small office, not an entire floor. Frustration arises from representatives taking back-to-back calls while being told that ever call must be answered, 'or else'. Coverage is monitored using software, not hardware which produces botched reportage. Meanwhile, Quality Assurance suffers bluntly from a lack of consistency and rapid changes leading to rogue auditing and arbitrary scoring. Morale, predictably, can be low often with ides of termination looming.

Secondarily, cross-department dialogue is vague. Specific roles in other departments have very little definition which cause similar titles to develop incongruities making getting a needed answer frustrating. Representatives press for answers on specifics while they fear repercussion, managers become frustrated and stressed while upper management sulks. There may be an answer later in the week which is too late for some. And if an account needs technical/compliance based review? The google suite may be instant, but not the response.

If you get an interview, press for an auditor/verification position and treat it as a job, not a career.

Please stop using the word 'growth' as both a motivator and an excuse, owe up to your shortcomings and be realistic.

Regarding realism: update your policies regarding attendance, expectations and realistically everything the job entails. They are vague and policy suffers as a result.

Regarding policy: stop using the title of this review as an answer. It is not.

Feb 6, 2015Senior Talent Analyst

Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. We recognize the growing pains that unfortunately come with rapid growth and are working diligently to address them. The handbook is being ... More

Be Realistic

I worked at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back. Ok pay.

Cons

Quality assurance is very inconsistent with scoring. If you dispute a call it takes months to hear anything back. Now there is a new review process where promotions and raises are based on QA scores which makes no sense if we never have an accurate score. There is about to be a lot of upset people.

Also we are being threatened with write ups about our scores but again with disputing a call you will be fired by the time you hear anything back.

With the new attendance policy you are penalized twice for calling off. Not only do you use a sick day but it still counts as an occurrence.

In its current state, this is not a company I would try to build a career with. As a transition job I would recommend it.

Before basing someone job off QA scores please make sure the quality assurance department is up to part.

Feb 6, 2015Senior Talent Analyst

Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. The review process is not based solely on QA as many other factors such as adherence, department specific factors, and especially positive ... More

They need to get with the program

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AvantCredit

Pros

If you work for AvantCredit corporate you'll love working here. They treat corporate very well. Laid back atmosphere. No pros from working in the customer service department.

Cons

The quality assurance guidelines are too subjective. They are wildly inconsistent with their scoring, and if you have a dispute good luck hearing back from them. If they even listen to your dispute from your manager it will take them a month or so to get back to you on that, and by that time it doesn't matter anymore. The metrics that management uses are garbage because the phone systems they use make it impossible to track the data. The real-time statistics they use to monitor the floor coverage is always an hour or more behind; because of this management keeps putting the team leads on the phones and then no work gets done. Morale is at an all time low because call volumes have been at an all time high. Inbound reps can't take a break the phones are so out dated that a new call comes in immediately after you end a call. You can't even elect to not take the next call; instead, if you don't take the call it hangs up on the customer. I could go on for days but i'm just gonna end it right there. If you're considering a job here don't pick the customer service department.

Pay people better. Get with the times - get a real phone system we're a joke with our current system? Seriously, did one of the IT guys just write the code themselves? Block websites already! I'm sick of working my tail off and then seeing someone watching netflix while they're on the phone.

Feb 6, 2015Senior Talent Analyst

Thanks for your review, we appreciate the feedback. With the forthcoming new phone system we are looking forward to improved call routing which will alleviate back-to-back calls and enable our QA ... More

Great company with tons of room to grow

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, pretty great atmosphere that still feels like a start up and tech companies despite rapid growth. The work is constantly changing and always proves to be challenging, in a good way. There are a lot of opportunities to grow, find problems and fix them, as well as make connections across departments. Management is very engaged with their teams and teams across functions. It's been a wonderful experience so far and I am really excited to see how the company grows.

Cons

It is easy to put in a lot of hours because of the potential work you can take on - but if you enjoy being challenged and learning new things, this isn't really a problem.

Keep startup/tech company mentality as you continue to grow, focus on building a culture as well as products

Great atmosphere, lots of fun, always enjoyed going to work, but nit-picky and trivial at times

Current Employee - Verifications Specialist
    Current Employee - Verifications Specialist

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyday is enjoyable and fun great coworkers and work environment. Work hard play hard attitude that is rewarding. Growing company with tons of potential.

Cons

Holiday black out dates, don't get vacation days till 6 months in, disconnect between policy updates, opportunities for advancement can seem to be in name only. Incentive programs can be misleading and dropped. QA system has kinks being worked out

Work on interdepartmental communication to make dealing with constantly changing standards less difficult. early access to vacation days and ability to increase based on performance. Overall wonderful work experience

Good Entry Level Position

Current Employee - Customer Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the office is kind to one another. The customer representatives seem to genuinely enjoy working with one another

Cons

Weird schedules, compensation could be a little bit better than it currently is due to most employees having to travel for roughly an hour a day.

Loved This Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very casual and chill environment. Friendly. And people are there to help you.

Cons

QA calls! I try not to hold a grudge but the QA people seriously need to undergo more in depth training. I had to have three calls disputed bc a QA rep didn't do their job. I ultimately lost my job do to this and it took forever to have calls overturned.

Take in to account when people have QA calls that need to be disputed and EXPEDITE the process. People shouldn't lose their jobs cause other people weren't effectively doing their job.

Rewarding but Demanding

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AvantCredit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very intelligent co-workers.
    CEO w/ proven track record
    Laid back culture
    Equity options

Cons

Not mandatory but if you want to be looked at as an above-average engineer you will be working 60+ hours a week.