Avascent

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Avascent President Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Terrific company; interesting work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSenior Management - Extremely committed to the company and its employees.

Staff - A large group of very intelligent individuals from diverse backgrounds. A young staff overall with ~50-60% twenty-somethings.

Pay and Benefits - Second to none. Avascent is very generous with its employees.

The Job - Not at all monotonous. Can be very interesting. Constantly learning new things.

Opportunity - Lots of room for upward growth. Management encourages employees to be entrepreneurial.

ConsThere are very few negatives about this firm. Generally, any headaches are directly tied to managing the ongoing growth. Avascent has consistently expanded its market share over the years, so there have been a few growing pains along the way; namely, long hours and some fits and starts with respect to strategy implementation. Neither is indicative of any red flags so long as one is not opposed to hard work and striving for high quality.

Not a great place if you're a woman

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmart colleagues, and often the work is pretty interesting (even if repetitive).

ConsNo work-life balance, even for analysts. If we're expected to always be on-call, Avascent should at least pay for our phone bills.

More importantly, Avascent is not a welcoming environment for female employees. There are no female partners or senior leaders. The boys-club culture at the company (not to mention the Defense Industry) makes it hard for a woman to feel comfortable at the office. There is a supportive group of women within the company, but I know that recently as many as 5 women (including myself) from the consulting staff have left Avascent for other opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture of exclusion and politics and Avascent would be a better place for both women and men to work.

Its a really great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proshonestly, the best part about Avascent is the amount of responsibility you get. You are expected to solve hard problems and are expected to deliver.

Consif you can't deal with ownership and difficult problems, this is not the place for you. the pace is fast and you are expected to keep up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid first job for curious, motivated people

Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat corporate culture, strong opportunities for upward mobility in consulting without an MBA, and a focus on objectively interesting markets (for example: satellites, space launches, big data analytics, cyber security)

ConsCulture can be political because it's a small company (I.e., your annual review isn't necessarily objective or performance-based), HR and organizational processes in general aren't always streamlined and have suffered from growing pains, and work/life balance can be a struggle, especially if you're good at what you do

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to time management and organization; make sure to take the time to coach analysts and capitalize on their talent whenever possible

Avascent is full of people who care about your professional development and show appreciation for strong work

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsStrong feedback culture; ability to take responsibility beyond years of experience; quick career acceleration for high performers; frequent company events; generally flat structure with very accessible and helpful partners and other senior management

ConsHours fluctuate and can be long; personal achievement sometimes merits receiving more work, which can sometimes be to a fault; limited opportunity to travel for more junior employees

A Collegiate Place to Work

Entry Level Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAvascent allows its employees to grow at their own pace in a collegiate atmosphere. As an entry-level analyst, I especially appreciate the time that my peers and project managers have taken to acclimate me to the way in which we do business.

ConsMuch of Avascent’s work focuses on the defense industry. Employees at the Avascent Group gain a good understanding of how government and industry interact, but may not get as much exposure to how purely commercial industries function.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership within the firm has done an excellent job of providing employees with the tools necessary to develop and hone professional skills.

Exciting Company with Growth Opportunities

Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAvascent is a relatively specialized company that places a tremendous amount of responsibility in the hands of analysts from day one. It is a challenging but supportive work environment that continually pushes very smart "young people" to think critically and learn to spin up on very technical topics in a short period of time. Analysts are given direct interaction with Clients and allowed to take ownership of growing tasks as they develop an understanding of government regulated markets and the defense space.

ConsThere is not as much travel as other Consulting firms given that much of the customer base is located near the Washington, DC area. That is both a positive and a negative however more travel opportunities would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Worked for Avascent? Contribute to the Community!