Avaya

Avaya Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy

Kevin Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was there 4 years and saw 4 different changes of senior management"
    in 43 reviews
  • "No support for employees located at customer sites from upper management at HQ"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

OK

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsProduct portfolios are very good.

ConsProduct portfolios are very good, but the management is not clear how to proceed further to hit the same industry giants. Keep on changing the plans, no road-map.

Work with some great people

ProsThere can be alot of flexibility depending on your manager; have worked with some very knowledgable co-workers and have gained valuable insight from each of them

ConsUpper management seems to have unrealistic expectations plus too much change in the ranks to keep focused on long term improvements

I'm neutral on work experience.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood co-workers, good pay, technology leader

ConsIf you don't like highly dynamic environment, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue improving the bottom line

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Misguided Leadership

Client Interaction Engineer (Current Employee)
    Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsThere were some really good people to work with, especially when I first started.
    The salary is decent for the work.

ConsThere is absolutely no career advancement opportunities at Avaya.
    Leadership is so process oriented they ignore the needs of customers and the time it takes for engineers to use these processes.
    The direction of the company is to get rid of all US based full time employees and use only overseas contractors.
    There is very little investment in innovation and product development, all of their products are quite ancient now and the competition has really shot ahead while Avaya is left wondering what happened.
    No investment in infrastructure for the company. Very old computers, forcing engineers to only use open source software to do their job which wastes time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your customers and employees. You have a few good people left who know how to take care of the customer, just let them do it. Do not kill the company by only looking at processes and metrics. Invest in the USA and don't drive every good employee out of the company.

Excellent Growth for Younger Workforce

Territory Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsBeen with Avaya for a little over 2 years, hired into inside sales with minimal telecom/IT experience spent 18 months there learning the processes and procedures before applying to and getting a job in the field. Every direct report manager I have had has been extremely helpful in growing my skill set and understanding, each one has taught me something new regarding Avaya, the industry, and sales in general.

-Career growth/development
    -Continual training in Industry
    -Product improvement
    -realistic CEO that does not sugarcoat during quarterly All-Hands calls
    -Excellent pay & benefits
    -Telecommute
    -in a state of growth, when I applied for my field role Avaya was on a hiring freeze I reached out to the RSL directly and after a few months was offered the position. Following the Global Sales Conference Avaya has since brought out several people from Inside Sales into the field.
    -Very optimistic on my career and earning possibilities.
    -Co-workers are very willing to help you out and assist in anyway possible
    -Incredible rate base commission plan

Cons-Previous layoffs have scared employees
    -As with any big company new initiatives are slow to get into place
    -Channel partners competing with one another can sometimes make job feel like a babysitter
    -Divisions within Avaya don't often work well together and it often feels that you are waging civil war to get something done
    -Having moved from a large office setting to working from home/field can get lonely
    -Working from home makes it hard to disconnect no where near an 8-5 experience
    -Constant change

Advice to Senior Management-Hard to conduct team building activities based on geographical distance of sales territory.
    -Greater stability on the EC in my tenure CEO has remained the same but nearly every other EC member has changed once or twice
    -find away to have one message and understanding across multiple divisions of Avaya, I often receive emails from people I've never heard of before asking questions about an opportunity that I don't remotely understand why they are involved.
    -To many overlays for products that are not needed and too few overlays where needed.

Sinking Ship

Procurement Manager (Current Employee)
    Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsCompletely different company before Kevin Kennedy took over.

ConsNO lead by example by upper management. Toxic environment! Very sad how the company is being run into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet ride of the entitlement attitude and lead by example for a change.

Unsure where its going and not making good time

Director (Former Employee)
    Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsLong term associates knowledge of the business
    Strong Services business
    Good Products though roadmaps unclear

ConsTransient Senior Leadership - too focused on the next outside Exec who doesn't know the communications industry let alone the business - mucks up their patch and leaves 1-2 years later
    Lack of trust in long term associates who have performed and can turn around the business
    No incentives to stay

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics - listen to customers, create desirable roadmaps linked to growth/profitability, reinvest in current/long term associates to turnaround our business

Demoralizing at times

Employee (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team members and immediate management. Great technology. Day to day job is fun and interesting.

ConsSenior management has no loyalty downward. No one is appreciated. Compensation plan is designed to limit earning ability. Company never has employees interest in mind from a compensation standpoint. No raises in the US. Benefits keep getting worse. Mid-level managers and above all 'manage up'. No one cares about the day to day happenings.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what really happens at the field level.

It has been a good experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Milpitas, CA

ProsGood culture and surrounded by smart people. Employed the best of the breed technologies to develop the products and hence it was always a good learning experience.

ConsTop management kept changing and lost focus on the projects that were started by the earlier management team and hence it was hard to compete with other companies int he market with reduced focus in execution

Great company to work for, but everything is shifting to overseas.

Regional Solutions Engineer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe benefits were good when I worked there. Co-workers made the work environment great and the work was usually challenging without being over-taxing.

ConsManagement is focused on Metrics and reducing the customer facing experience. Not enough focus given to training on new products. Most training ends up happening onsite in front of the customer. Sales teams always seem to get precedence over the services teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on the employees and the customers again instead of just meeting the numbers.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!

Avaya Videos

Avaya – Why Work for Us?

About Avaya Avaya is a recognized innovator and leading global provider of real-time business collaboration and communications solutions. The company provides video and unified communications, contact centers, data… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avaya reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avaya CEO Kevin Kennedy. All 906 reviews posted anonymously by Avaya employees.