Avaya

Avaya Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy

Kevin Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was there 4 years and saw 4 different changes of senior management"
    in 43 reviews
  • "No support for employees located at customer sites from upper management at HQ"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work exp...

ProsGood environment to work .

ConsClarity is not there w.r.t the Road map.

Senior Manager

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsTelecommuting. Promotes a well balanced work life environment.

ConsCan't run a company with two HQ locations, Santa Clara and North Carolina

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead weight VPs.

Worst Job I've ever had.

ProsWell, I do get a paycheck.

ConsI have never been trapped in such a negative, disrespectful and demoralizing environment in my career. It's painful. I do see people dropping here like flies. There also seems to be a plethora of finger pointing and just plain, old mean behavior. Not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating experienced employees as though they are brain dead children.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

How sad to see a company destroyed like this.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsWhat a wonderful collaborative environment. I am thankful I had the opportunity to be a part of such a great organization and how tragic and criminal it is that this company is being destroyed from the top down.

ConsManagement does not care one bit for employees. They have reduced benefits to the point where they are non-existent. They have sold off as many real estate locations as they could, closed multiple whole offices, outsourced as much as possible, forced people to go on extended overseas trips to train their replacements, even leasing out the R&D center without informing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be in jail.

Always on guard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good at allowing you to work remotely

ConsNo job security and I found pressure to be the loudest and have the most words-per-meeting.

Strong culture with strong people but many opportunities are wasted due to lack of investment and execution of vision

Distinguished Engineer (Former Employee)
    Westminster, CO

Pros+Company history and culture
    +Technical breadth and depth of employees
    +Flexible work hours
    +Telecommuting option
    +Employees are encouraged to innovate
    +Vacation/time off policies

Cons-No career growth beyond Band 20
    -Monthly layoffs and yearly furloughs
    -Bonus plan changes too frequently/is not achievable
    -Benefits are expensive
    -No merit raises
    -Little to no employee recognition (monetary and non-monetary)
    -Change, even small change, is very slow (e.g. Turning the Titanic)

Advice to Senior Management+Eliminate the Band 20 cap
    +Establish a consistent bonus policy with stretch, but achievable targets
    +Stop cutting your way to success (e.g. Invest in the Future)
    +Make the company more adaptable to change through Leadership
    +Recognize employees at all levels for their contributions

Not too good, not too bad, but it's time to move on

Senior Manager IT (Former Employee)
    Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsGood technology, nice co-workers, flexible schedule and allow working remotely, pay is decent.

ConsEverything else - starting from CEO and EC members. I used to be a fan of the current CEO but he can't seem to be able to recruit qualified EC members - None of the EC members sticks around more than 2-3 years (either got fired or walk away) in last 6 years. The ship is sinking ...

Stay Away

Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWork/Life balance- A lot of work is from home/remote, so it's easy to integrate life events into work. Good health/dental/eye benefits.

ConsWhat I've learned most is that every step of sales is met with challenges. If you are selling into Territory, this is your best bet- strategic/globals is quite a challenge. We have so many products and different iterations within each category, that trying to find a solution that will all work together is a nightmare- and will require professional services to make it work. The technology sits on code from bell labs days- so every idea seems great, until the heavy lifting begins.

Compensation and goals are out of whack. Your goal will likely be unachievable, which is extremely un motivating. Promises to help you may be made but aren't kept.

there's a revolving door at the top, which makes things confusing. Each month shows a different strategy or pain point they want the field to focus on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet younger mindset. Figure out the cloud story- because it's unclear and always changing. Beef up marketing and get in peoples faces. Maybe a tagline like- "Avaya- we're not a phone company any more". Give incentive to your sales people and they will be loyal. Don't treat them as you have over the years- that's why they leave.

Lack of leadership is frustrating

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

Prosawesome attitude towards telecommuting. Great work/home life balance

ConsAvaya University training was all over the place. Some discontinued products. Confusing for someone new to Avaya culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to invest in the people they hire.

No solid direction

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and benefits fair. Really hard working folks in the trenches

ConsThere seems to be a culture between Avayans and acquired companies ad an us versus them mentaility. Rather than working to improve, executive management uses scare tactis, even saying in broad- based town hall meetings that people would be let go in threatning terminology. People are actually relieved to be laid off. Yet mamagement clearly doesn't know which way to jump.

The resulting feeling of all those that work really hard is to keep your head down and just do what you need to for that day to stay out of trouble along with meeting your metrics.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper executive management need to understand how thy impact customers and employees. I heard so many times from multiple customers that "Avaya doesn't care about them. " Products and technology coukd be leading edge, but management decisions mask this.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!

Avaya Videos

Avaya – Why Work for Us?

About Avaya Avaya is a recognized innovator and leading global provider of real-time business collaboration and communications solutions. The company provides video and unified communications, contact centers, data… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avaya reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avaya CEO Kevin Kennedy. All 909 reviews posted anonymously by Avaya employees.