Avaya

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy

Kevin Kennedy

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very respectful and professional immediate management

R&D Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLatitude in learning, contributing and lateral movement. Development and high-end engineering is granted autonomy to perform work as the employee sees fit, as long as the work gets done. Very strong support at director and VP levels.

Cons$2.9B debt, due in 2017 and 2021. Lower engineering tiers are very structured during work hours. Currently in a down-sizing mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on long-term success instead of short-term revenues.

1999 grows smaller in the rearview mirror

Web Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than a year

ProsTelecommuting is nice and there are a number of solid intelligent employees, if you know where to look.

Cons- Sr. Management changes so often no plan sticks
- Telecommuting means multiple Saturday 3am work sessions
- Rigid corporate leadership structure does not allow for lower level employees to provide direction
- All new thought "leaders" are lower level employees (see above)
- IT group is overpowered, underwhelming
- Your initial salary is your final salary
- Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs
- No ability to create efficient processes - "old ways are still best"
- Adherence to the principles of an acquired bankrupt business - if these principles bankrupted that company, why are they being followed?
- Change is constant yet produces no positive results

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, start by looking in the mirror.

On a downward trajectory.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe best parts are the high caliber of technical people along with some good products. If you're in a technical team, then that team is probably very competent and has good people. Your direct manager could be okay too (but there is a risk he'll be a bozo). Fortunately, he won't stick around more than 2-3 years at most because there will be a re-org.

ConsRadical cut to benefits in the last 12 months: medical, 401k.
No meaningful salary increases for many years. The further up you get in management, the more dysfunctional and clueless they are. It's like people with no skill and just an MBA are running the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house - too many B and C players in management. Management are very top heavy - you could lose 50% of them and it would be no problem. The whole 401k situation (only matching if the company doesn't suck) and the new health plans are really bad news.

Good pay, job instability

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than a year

ProsAvaya pays well relative to competitors.

ConsJob prospects not very good.

Facade of employee contentment

Software Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTechnology Leader. Tight link with customers who are, generally, very happy.

ConsHR BS. They are constantly cutting away at employee benefits. They have artificial employee inclusion programs for highly rated staff, but each month the CEO gets us and tells us different reasons people have been fired. No kidding. He has an all hands meeting every month, and always finds an excuse to mention why he has fired someone either recently or in his past. And the HR organization follows the same caring culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees first, please.

Company on the decline

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people and talent actually doing the work. Challenging and engaging work with excellent customers who appreciate what you are doing for them. Ability to learn new technologies.

ConsOffshoring jobs. Constant layoffs and broken appraisal/rating system. Quotas are set for a certain number of low performers regardless of actual performance. Low or non-existent raises and bonuses. Having a manager who likes you is more important than actual work performed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep patting yourselves on the back for a job well done and paying out bonuses.

Good tech staff

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood tech staff, good income,

ConsNo professional growth , company laying lots of people off, watch what you say,

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep all people to produce good products, listen to employees, stop playing games

Rudderless ship

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours; good to great colleagues.

ConsProcesses are heavy and ineffective; executive talk doesn't match action; lower level management is hit and miss; a lot of communication that doesn't say much useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees (the ones playing the ground game) are your greatest asset; nurture and protect us. We're not stupid; we can see what's happening; talk to us straight.

The Greatest 18 years of my life

Systems Applications Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFantastic salary, benefits, great co-workers, large company, growth, etc.

ConsAll companies struggle with profitability and where to find their profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to spend more on innovation and new products, as costs can only be reduced so far.

A company with apparent hostility towards it's US and North American employees that is drastically shrinking itself.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe money was there, and the flexibility to work from home. The people left are still top notch, even if they are incredibly overworked.

ConsNo career path or growth. No bonuses or pay raises. Quarterly staff reductions and "Enhanced Separation Packages" with yearly furloughs targeted only at the US employee base. Health benefits that were once decent and competitive are a joke now. There is no matching 401k as all matching (50% of the first 3% contributed) is tied to EBITDA numbers the company has never once met. Morale doesn't exist anywhere in the company. When the Senior Managers and Directors openly complain about how bad it is on conference calls, there is a serious problem and no one seems to care. Constant staff cuts and outsourcing has erased all loyalty to the company and put in place an "I don't care what happens to this place" attitude with the employees. Senior Management repeatedly acting like they know how to run our customers business better than they do as they force new processes and products out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They don't care. They are biding their time for a buyout later this year.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!

Avaya Videos

Avaya – Why Work for Us?

About Avaya Avaya is a recognized innovator and leading global provider of real-time business collaboration and communications solutions. The company provides video and unified communications, contact centers, data… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avaya reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avaya CEO Kevin Kennedy. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by Avaya employees.