Avaya Reviews

1. Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, industry leader in many segments, strong history, people really care to do the right thing

Cons

Executive leadership seems a bit lost. Bonuses are few, far between and not very impressive. "Do more with less" is being taken to new heights.

Advice to Management

Decide what to focus on and do it well, you don't have the resources to be everything to everybody.

2. Upper level management out of touch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely bright and talented engineers

Cons

constant downsizing and poor decision making at upper levels

Advice to Management

wake up

Getting worse over time

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

surrounded by great people, they are very bright, they have vast domain experience, products are generally well thought out

Cons

management turnover is high, HR is dedicated to winnowing benefits and people, our new R&D facility looks to a return to wack-a-mole cubes

5. Software architect

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some individual contributors and a few managers care about the quality of the products and are able do do a good job.

Cons

Most of the people seem to be very low performers, a bit like a retirement home.
    The owners of the company seem to be shaping it for resale, not success.

Advice to Management

If you are good, unfortunately you should look for another company. I don't think that there are enough people that care about the product to succeed.

A lot left to be desired ....

Current Employee - Senior Manager Supply Chain in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Supply Chain in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary. You need/develop a strong personality, sharp negotiation skills that enable you to get things done in a very hostile and time pressured environment (if you cannot get things moving and you are in a senior level role with enough visibility, you generally leave in < 1 year ...). Not a place for faint-hearted by any means...

Cons

no personal growth, company future is uncertain, 80 hour work weeks often involving grunt-work because of a lack of good processes/data etc. Basically, lack of motivation to do work .. salary is good to start with, but once you are in .. salary hikes are pea-nuts and so are bonuses.

Advice to Management

If you hire smart people but if you don't keep up with their expectations of development .. they will leave.

7. Not a long term place to work ... going down the tubes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent engineers and depending on the project interesting technology to work on. The only reason I have stayed for so long is the profound respect I have for my co-workers

Cons

With a few exceptions, and there are some, senior management could not care less about people, and sometimes one wonders if they care about the company long term . The decisions that are made are so short sighted that for 4 years we have been thinking that we are going to be sold next week. The focus is solely on what the numbers look like for the next quarter. If the numbers are not good people are laid off or buildings are sold to make them look better. Well, we have run out of buildings to sell, and as far as laying people off we are at the point where we do not have critical mass to get much done, so guess where sales are going to keep going ....
    In addition, the way people get laid off is chilling. You are in better shape if you sign up to a voluntary termination package. But if you are targeted and you did not know it, you simply disappear from one day to the next. No announcements to the rest of the people, or notice. You are simply gone.
    I have to mention how particularly clueless is our CEO. One day when he was not particularly happy about quality numbers, his comment to all employees was "Developers put bugs in the code, not management". If anything shows ignorance about software development, which nowadays is the bread and butter of the company, I don't know what does. Like unreasonable deadlines, understaffing and outsourcing do not have an impact on quality.

Advice to Management

Just go away please ... you have done absolutely nothing for this company for 5 years. Can't you see that? Why don't you have a little bit of integrity, recognize your failure and let somebody else give it a try ... In any case you will not have this job in 2-3 years because there will be no job to have.

They speak of great culture and ethics, while working towards a slavery model.

Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avaya seems to be fairly competitive with wages. They have a lot of intelligent people and great technology.

Cons

Avaya culture has changed dramatically over the last decade. A company that once went out of its way to reward loyalty and recognize their employees, now moves forward with an attitude of "It is a privilege to work for us, if you don't like what we are doing, you are free to leave." They no longer care to have conversations about what is wrong with the infrastructure or how it can be streamlined. Instead it has become a dictatorship where they continue to "take from" rather than "give to" their employees. Just as Network World was announcing that Kevin Kennedy received a fivefold pay increase, Avaya announced (without warning) that they were taking away our accrued vacation model and going to a Discretionary Time Off (DTO) model. With the new model you have to negotiate with your manager to get time off and you do NOT accumulate vacation. If they feel that the "Needs of the Business" will allow for some time off, they may grant it to you if they deem you so worthy. (but one should not expect the same amount of time off that was previously earned through tenure.) So those that have been loyal for many years, essentially lose the additional time off that they earned through hard work. They also continue to shave away at the benefits and reduce the rewards. Then they spin the announcements in an attempt to make the changes appear attractive and appropriate. If you take the time to review their strategy and the changes they have made, it is very apparent that they are slowly working their employees towards a perfect slavery model where only the masters benefit. Avaya has had many internal problems for many years and they remain unresolved. If Avaya customers had any idea just how unstable and unreliable the tools are the we use to support them, they would find it hard to sleep at night. This was once a great place to work and I was proud to be Avayan. Unfortunately those days are gone and I no longer hold the pride I once enjoyed.

Advice to Management

My team and I have gone to management many times to point out issues and help bring resolution. Unfortunately arrogance and ego prevents the upper management from having any 'take away' from the lower echelons. I have a book of documentation on issues and how they can be resolved. It has become apparent our attempts have been a waste so I will not waste more time in this venue.

Great people and experience, future is a concern

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are intelligent, motivated and always looking to improve. Technology is ok. Culture and morale varies from office to office, so will depend on where you work.

Cons

VP level and up turns over regularly so business unit direction fluctuates often with their latest whim. Routine budget cuts. Company in debt due to PE firm mismanagement

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan for more than a year. Prune the product offering by getting rid of over-lapping products, support and maintenance for these is a drain on resources.

10. Strong culture with strong people but many opportunities are wasted due to lack of investment and execution of vision

Former Employee - Distinguished Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Distinguished Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

+Company history and culture
    +Technical breadth and depth of employees
    +Flexible work hours
    +Telecommuting option
    +Employees are encouraged to innovate
    +Vacation/time off policies

Cons

-No career growth beyond Band 20
    -Monthly layoffs and yearly furloughs
    -Bonus plan changes too frequently/is not achievable
    -Benefits are expensive
    -No merit raises
    -Little to no employee recognition (monetary and non-monetary)
    -Change, even small change, is very slow (e.g. Turning the Titanic)

Advice to Management

+Eliminate the Band 20 cap
    +Establish a consistent bonus policy with stretch, but achievable targets
    +Stop cutting your way to success (e.g. Invest in the Future)
    +Make the company more adaptable to change through Leadership
    +Recognize employees at all levels for their contributions

11. How sad to see a company destroyed like this.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

What a wonderful collaborative environment. I am thankful I had the opportunity to be a part of such a great organization and how tragic and criminal it is that this company is being destroyed from the top down.

Cons

Management does not care one bit for employees. They have reduced benefits to the point where they are non-existent. They have sold off as many real estate locations as they could, closed multiple whole offices, outsourced as much as possible, forced people to go on extended overseas trips to train their replacements, even leasing out the R&D center without informing employees.

Advice to Management

You should be in jail.

Showing 152 of 1,186 reviews