Avaya

Avaya Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy

Kevin Kennedy

Pros
  • Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance(in 62 reviews)

• Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • I was there 4 years and saw 4 different changes of senior management(in 44 reviews)

• Upper management seems to change every two years in the sales organization(in 31 reviews)

Sales Op Intern

Sales (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsFriendly employees, relaxed environment, and very rewarding experience. My schedule is somewhat laid out for me, but it's flexible. The pay is great, too! 18/hr for an internship? Very hard to beat, these days! I definitely see a future here.

ConsNot a whole lot, this place is pretty great! The change in leadership is due to the changes from Lucente to Avaya and acquisition of Nortel... what do you expect?

Advice to Senior ManagementTrial and Error, we'll find the right upper management eventually. Just give it time before you toss them out the door, though!

Awesome

IT Security (Current Employee) Coppell, TX

ProsFlexibility
    Good Salary
    Nice managers
    Good Training
    good culture

Consno free coffee, no fixed raise, Bonus not sure

Software architect

Consulting Engineer (Current Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsSome individual contributors and a few managers care about the quality of the products and are able do do a good job.

ConsMost of the people seem to be very low performers, a bit like a retirement home.
    The owners of the company seem to be shaping it for resale, not success.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are good, unfortunately you should look for another company. I don't think that there are enough people that care about the product to succeed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I had a good run there.

Consultant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt was a great place for the team I was on to function in the best interest of the customer. The technology was interesting enough to keep things interesting.

ConsA lot of turnover in the management ranks made you feel like you could get whiplash at times with direction changing frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of "pay for performance" sometimes called "stacking" in other organizations.

Named account manager

Named Account Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood boss, good accounts, easy environment

ConsNo way to learn the product portfolio

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what they want to be good at and than focus

It was a job

Sales Support (Former Employee)

ProsDecent salary and good people.

ConsToo much turn over at the executive level. This churn created constant change and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a stake in the ground and stick too it.

Limited growth opportunities.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ

ProsFlexible work environment. Full benefits.

ConsLimited growth opportunities Multiple rounds of downsizing.

Depressing

Undisclosed (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOther employees help you get through the day

ConsManagement, Benefits, Services organization, lack of respect for what employees contribute

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the feedback on the Dennison surveys. Start exploring alternative CEO and HR leadership

Not a long term place to work ... going down the tubes

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsExcellent engineers and depending on the project interesting technology to work on. The only reason I have stayed for so long is the profound respect I have for my co-workers

ConsWith a few exceptions, and there are some, senior management could not care less about people, and sometimes one wonders if they care about the company long term . The decisions that are made are so short sighted that for 4 years we have been thinking that we are going to be sold next week. The focus is solely on what the numbers look like for the next quarter. If the numbers are not good people are laid off or buildings are sold to make them look better. Well, we have run out of buildings to sell, and as far as laying people off we are at the point where we do not have critical mass to get much done, so guess where sales are going to keep going ....
    In addition, the way people get laid off is chilling. You are in better shape if you sign up to a voluntary termination package. But if you are targeted and you did not know it, you simply disappear from one day to the next. No announcements to the rest of the people, or notice. You are simply gone.
    I have to mention how particularly clueless is our CEO. One day when he was not particularly happy about quality numbers, his comment to all employees was "Developers put bugs in the code, not management". If anything shows ignorance about software development, which nowadays is the bread and butter of the company, I don't know what does. Like unreasonable deadlines, understaffing and outsourcing do not have an impact on quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust go away please ... you have done absolutely nothing for this company for 5 years. Can't you see that? Why don't you have a little bit of integrity, recognize your failure and let somebody else give it a try ... In any case you will not have this job in 2-3 years because there will be no job to have.

Dying company with no ability or desire to grow

QA Engineer III (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDecent salary and the people are really nice.

ConsNo professional growth, anyone with real experience or depth leaves the company. In fact the company highlighted this as a serious problem - most of the people capable of making architectural changes to their systems are gone (people with more than 10+ years experience). Company can't grow organically so it has to buy up small companies. Leadership seems clueless. Company mistakes "the process" (and bureaucracy) as being keys of success which is why it takes years to release new (software) products instead of weeks or months.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a realistic vision focused on the future, which realistically is probably not based on selling phone systems. Then you need to rely on and support the people who can build your vision of the future. Stop cutting costs just to increase the bottom line and focus on building products that customers want.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!