Avaya Reviews

1104 reviews filtered by
1,104 Reviews
Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy
Kevin Kennedy

Pros
  • work/life balance can be achieved if you commit to the boundaries (in 75 reviews)

• Great technology available to work from home, although not always welcomed in some groups (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management of company lies to everyone's face on their " Town Hall Meeting" (in 48 reviews)

• Work-life balance is not in the culture of this company (in 19 reviews)

1. Senior Leader

Current Employee - Senior Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time

Pros

This is a company coming out of a fairly radical transition. Those interested in careers at Avaya need to appreciate that a lot of the commentary in this site is tied to the evolution of the company from a hardware enterprise, to a cloud-focused software and services business. That is a messy process, magnified by the Great Recession, and yes there are some challenges associated with it. But consider:
    1. Gartner rates Avaya products in the Magic Quadrant (we have BIC products)
    2. We have a Net Promoter score of 52 and rising (our customers love what we do)
    3. Our voluntary turnover rates are low, and measured engagement high (our employees vote positively with their feet, and tell us they are engaged)
    4. Companies like HP and Google are electing to partner with us
    5. Our margins have improved dramatically over the last few years as our change effort matures

These are all facts, most of them from sources outside the company.

Cons

Avaya is still a company in transition, albeit at the back end of the process. There are a few messes left lying around that still need to be fixed. Those who fprefer everything to be neatly in place and predictable may be uncomfortable here. Those that are ok with ambiguity, with spotting something that needs fixing and "just doing it" will thrive.

2. Rotational Associate

I have been working at Avaya

Pros

Great learning experience for entry into industry.

Cons

Management loses sight of goals quickly. Organizations and staff are constantly being re-aligned.

3. Great step into a different role.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Westminster, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Avaya provided me with a chance to work with technology and systems that left me better for it. Working with some very talented people and learning things I hadn't been exposed to before has been a great experience.

Cons

Right-sizing the company leaves one feeling down in morale. It's an unfortunate reality, but they tried to do it in the best way possible.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with employees about what is going on. Actively strive to reach out and foster talent and internal movement that will expose those who desire growth to such opportunities.

5. software engineer

I worked at Avaya full-time

Pros

talented people, pleasant work environment.

Cons

telecommunication industry not doing well

6. Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Avaya full-time

Pros

Very good work/life balance....

Cons

No innovations.... waiting for the moment to be sunk

7. New Hires - Avoid at all costs!

I have been working at Avaya full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- My managers and some of my peers are nice, smart people who are always willing to help
    - The technology is solid
    - Work from home can be a good thing

Cons

- "Pass it on" culture within the organization - no accountability, people simply pass the work on until it gets escalated
    - Extremely complex and inefficient internal processes with no effort to streamline
    - Poorly defined goals and expectations
    - Poorly defined roles - everybody wears multiple hats
    - No PTO
    - Extremely low employee moral - I literally have not heard one employee ever say anything good about the company, just complaints
    - No sense of teamwork or belonging to a team
    - No formal training, it's sink or swim. Not a bad thing if you're OK with accomplishing the bare minimum, but for new hires who want to excel, they'll need REAL guidance and leadership
    - No 401k match unless we hit EBITDA target. A sly way to cover for never actually matching
    - Horrible compensation for the amount of hours put in
    - Lousy Benefits
    - High employee turnover. People literally bolt without looking back as soon as another offer comes their way
    - Outsourcing of crucial processes to people who have no industry background whatsoever slows everything down. Sometimes people have literally asked me how to do their job!
    - Everything the Executives do is shady. Clearly trying to make our financials look good for an eventual sale
    - Company is downsizing and likely going broke
    - So many others that I can't name off the top of my head

Advice to Management

Management has always been nice and helpful, but they really need to set goals and expectations better and provide a clear path for professional growth and development.

8. Liked the job but annoyed with management.

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging job working in field 100% of time with little supervision.

Cons

Company has great technology and heritage but management would rather emulate competitors than stake its leadership position. Training and career advancement have been completely eliminated.

Advice to Management

Too many folks that helped bankrupt Nortel now bringing their ideas to destroy this company.

9. Steady employment (if you excel) and flexible hours. Great people!

Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Remote office, dedicated employees, robust product portfolio, and leading the way in the Unified Comm and Contact Center Cloud space.

Cons

Would be nice if profit sharing with top employees was at least more equitably proportionate to that which executive management received.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the people that day in and day out keep the company on the right trajectory.

10. Moving from boxes in the closet to apps on your network

I worked at Avaya

Pros

Avaya is engaging with customers and other service providers in a collaborative fashion these days. They are introducing many apps that can be proprietary or adaptive to whatever solution you already have installed.

Cons

The company is shrinking due to its new business model.

Advice to Management

Ensure you are making smart business decisions when it comes to personnel holding security clearances. The Federal market typically requires US citizenship and often requires a security clearance.

11. Had a good experience with Avaya. As an intern got to learn lot of new things that are new in the industry.

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Avaya

Pros

Flexibility to work from home. It actuallyw roked as an Intern as we could work from home and complete our studies

Cons

Coppell is far from college.So travelling is hectic. But work from home compensates this problem