Avaya Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy
Kevin Kennedy

Pros
  • Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • I was there 4 years and saw 4 different changes of senior management (in 44 reviews)

• Work / life balance is often discussed but not practiced (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good technology, smart engineers but lacks focus because of continuous leadership churn and ever-changing strategy,

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good technology base and some very smart engineers. Desire to win.

Cons

One big musical char when it comes to product & business leadership.

Stop changing strategy every 6 -9 months.

Challenging with diverse assignments

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Software Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff/Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work, interesting projects, professional growth.

Cons

To few people left to do the projects justice.

Recognize that it is all the employees of the company that provide value to the customers and not just upper management.

Great company, Awesome Telecom Solutions. Massive work load

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great line of products. Innovative. Resilient. Pay is above average.

Cons

frequent leadership changes. Company has done away with paid time off and moved to discretionary time off. Not sure how this will affect the long timers and future recruits. Work load is very high. Almost unmanageable at times. Company is making a lot to changes to become lean.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

I have been working at Avaya

Pros

Plenty of work to do.

Cons

Work is repetetive and boring.

Deep cuts help finances and focus but hurt ability to be agile and responsive to market demands

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many very smart and driven people at Avaya. There has been a tremendous amount of turnover in the executive ranks in the past 3 years and for the most part this has been an improvement. The company vision for delivering elegant, secure and reliable communications is compelling but lags the market somewhat. The Networking technologies and portfolio are a bright-spot in the current environment.

Cons

While change is underway to become more responsive to customer and market demands, Avaya remains at it's core an R&D driven company. Product development is still too opaque and insular and new products often miss the mark, but the accuracy is improving. Ripple effect of the Nortel acquisition is fading but execution on delivering the vision for NextGen UC applicaitons remains challenging, in large part due to aggressive staff reduction.

Be more receptive and responsive to customer and sales input on product development. Shift some of the R&D investment to field enablement, especially Partner development and support.

It was very good until I was "bumped"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work on own, no one standing over my shoulder

Cons

Being "bumped" with no options

Great technology company but lost in building a cohesive marketing strategy

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products, excellent services, hinge installed that got better with Nortel acquisition offering a huge opportunity in the global market place.

Cons

Poor portfolio strategy along with mixed messaging to the installed base customers is leading to a confusion in the market place and competition has gained significant market share in a short time.

Become customer centric and deliver what is good for them for not good for Avaya.

No loyalty to their employees at all. NEEDS OF BUSINESS ONLY!

Former Employee - Senior Management  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Avaya is better with salary and benefits than most employers in this industry.

Cons

50+ HOUR work week expected and more

Change your strategy and stop employees from walking out the door. You need to look at how your Sr Managers behave.

Worked hard, but glad I chose to leave

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hardworking people at the lower levels. Willingness to team and help each other out. Compensation is good. Loved the job - challenging and innovative, but the culture made it difficult to stay. Telecommuting is a plus.

Cons

Metrics are a good thing, but the culture to constantly change the metrics, which makes it hard to meet goals, feels like they are trying to weed the herd so management can off-shore or outsource employees. There appears to be very little appreciation for the hard work and long hours employees will work to make their career and company successful. In the end, people are made to feel like they are just a number. Work-life balance is not in the culture of this company.

Senior-level executive management feels draconian. They seem to exert the feeling that everything that is wrong with the company should be blamed on the employees and with no fault of the leadership.

Implement a decent focus to excellence for your employees. Help your employees excel by providing the necessary training, good and functioning tools. Stop instilling fear by saying things like "If you don't like the way we do things, then leave." Employees want to do a good job and feel like they accomplished good things for themselves and the company.

Focus on where you want to be and adhere to those goals. Change is inevitable, but focus on the changes that can grow the company - not by re-spinning the wheel and expecting different results.

Leadership should be willing to take responsibility and display competent leadership..

Provide more focus on your customer base.

Sales Engineer

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the technology and working with customers. Also, being able to work from home is a plus. Colleagues are also great. My management is fair, and I am free to exercise initiative. My management empowers me, and I like the level of control I have.

Cons

It isn't a 9-5 job if that is what you're looking for. You have to fight for training and teach yourself a lot. The job is not for everyone because you have so much self control and must be very self sufficient. It would be not be a position for someone who needs a lot of direction.

More training opportunities would be good.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!