Avaya Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy
Kevin Kennedy

Pros
  • Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • The senior management of company lies to everyone's face on their " Town Hall Meeting" (in 45 reviews)

• Work-life balance is not in the culture of this company (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging work, smart people, but company is still trying to find its way.

Former Employee - IT Associate in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Associate in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Avaya has extremely smart and hard-working people. Work is challenging because you are usually doing more than 1 person's job. But it's also rewarding and provides an opportunity to be recognized by your work.
    My managers definitely had my back and they were very supportive with my career goals. Salary and benefits are competitive, but bonuses are hard to come by if you're not in sales.

Cons

Avaya is a young company with very old culture since it came from AT&T Lucent. Many employees have been in telecom for a long time. So culture changes take a lot of time and effort. During the recession period, there's always fear of lay-offs and uncertain outlook for the company. You never know if you have a job the next week.
    In addition, Avaya is consolidating and closing locations, forcing some employees to relocate. Leadership depends entirely on your team and division, but communication and transparency was getting better.

Was a good company (pre-Nortel Acquisition) now struggling.

Current Employee - Client Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Home worker policy is good
    Flexible working

Cons

Payrises almost non-existent, bonus rarely paid.
    Avaya now owned by TPG - with huge debt, aging product line ... at least 2 yrs behind the competition.
    Many duplicate products since purchase of Nortel ... and Seniors who made Nortel bankrupt now running divisions in Avaya - not a good outlook.
    Many confused processes and most of them are broken, totally US centric in all things, makes International business difficult.
    Talks up being a system integrator but far from it.
    CEO who is there to make a bundle selling Avaya then he will be off ... unfortunately suitable purchasers have pulled out.
    Large numbers leaving the company - excessive Hrs for those left.
    Dood if you are in Sales or Pre-Sales - poor for services.

Sort out product line - too much confusion, make R&D stick to road maps - they forever slip badly on delivery dates (often a year or more)
    Get serious about services or get out of them.

Good company, if you can adapt to constant change

Current Employee - Channel Manager
    Current Employee - Channel Manager

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent leadership, opportunity to work anywhere in the country, inside and outside positions, good resume material.

Cons

Job roles and compensation plans are always changing. Difficult to predict how much money you will actually make. Very political system, where people receive accolades that don't deserve them (and vice versa). High turnover in upper management leads to ever changing company values and perspectives.

Its time to adapt to emerging technology and company culture. Compared to other tech firms, our benefits and work-life balance is very poor. We only match 401k when we hit EBITA goals, while other companies match 6% no matter what. We function like an old, traditional company and therefore do not attract young talent.

Surprised it still exists

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cool technology, but rapidly commoditizing

Cons

Not sure where the business is going.

Clearly articulate business strategy.

Not great, not awful, but where are we going?

Current Employee - Resident Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Resident Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great technology, solid work-life balance, excellent people. I don't feel I am getting ground down, and the managers I have had have been good.

Cons

Financial performance means no training budget, no raises, rarely 401K match. Cost cutting has hit in manufacturing resulting in some QC headaches & black eyes. As with any company there have been some dubious technology bets & acquisitions; the problem here is that we can afford to lose on any of them.

You have some very very talented & smart upper level technology people; listen to them & their visions of where the industry is going. Don't worry about playing catch up, worry about out flanking. Ensure 100% QC in manufacturing; software bugs can be worked out but DOA hardware cannot.

Not even close to what it used to be

I worked at Avaya full-time

Pros

decent benefits but huge question marks going forward. co-workers, for the most part, were great. bonus opportunity is solid but...see cons. work from home / remote is pretty common.

Cons

meaningful bonuses non existent for years now. zero coverage for vacation. complicated infrastructure and processes make it tough to do business on the inside as well as outside. employee morale in the dumps. personal growth & training is in writing only.

Development Manager

Current Employee - Software Development Manager
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, work flexibility, unlimited vacation, great work-life balance, freedom in work

Cons

not much growth, huge expense cut in US locations

Management must pay attention to the career growth in US employees

Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Avaya full-time

Pros

avaya has flexible work environment

Cons

avaya pay is tied to company performance

Good company for performers

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you are self driven, result oriented and have desire to grow...Management team is well trained and polished...Willing to groom individuals in to professionals

Cons

Doesn't have a clear direction from top..or at least it doesn't get translated to the ground level. HR can be more participative.

I understand that it's tough time to manage..but need to grow by capturing more customer

Technical Support Manager

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is global company with very good customer base. The job is challenging and requires fast learning of new technologies.

Cons

Since the company became private, the financial pressure resulted in many layoffs. There are too few resources to meet basic business needs.

Someone who recognizes the importance of the employees who are writing the history of the company.