Avaya

Avaya Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy

Kevin Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance"
    in 59 reviews
  • "Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management is totally out of depth and have no inkling of market dynamics"
    in 41 reviews
  • "No support for employees located at customer sites from upper management at HQ"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work, not a good place for a career.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat co-workers make this place exciting, but it's the technology that makes it fantastic! We have some of the best products in the industry, and are a true market leader. You'll never be let down by the products.

ConsTechnical resources are spread thin. Currently hiring freezes and attrition have made the workload almost unmanageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to quit hiring more VP level people from outside and get more people who actually do the work that needs doing. I have had to train my last two managers who came from elsewhere only to see them depart when they couldn't get it. How about we promote from within?

micro and macro management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avaya

Proswork load intense. never a dull day. always had something to do. managers left you alone if you did your job and met your metrics

Consmicro managed to check you on the metrics. no formal training. otj training. mentor system never available, but you still had to meet metrics.

On the wane

I have been working at Avaya

ProsChallenging, high tech environment requiring constant updates to your skills

ConsFull of management from Nortel (the company who went bankrupt), constant downsizing

Exciting Times

I have been working at Avaya

ProsPassion to win. investing in customer solutions, hiring to talent, and getting things done. New leadership is reshaping the culture and puts customer first. People are empowered to make decisions and get things done. Competitive products and solutions.

ConsBrand is not well known. Marketing . A lot of change ( for the good) . Silo's of people and functions that have not embraced change and the new direction. Feels like we have added a lot of weight at top management. Product development needs to breakout and make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. Be completely transparent. Fix our branding. Need to create technology tornados through development and leadership.

good but not as i expected.

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avaya as an intern for less than a year

Prosgood working environment.good infrastructure.good salary.good learning opportunity.facilities provided to the employees are good.no time restrictions .

Consinterns are bit neglected.not much importance is given to them.no proper work is assigned.no proper training is given .manager expects us to know everything.

Advice to Senior Managementgive time for interns to learn and then start to expect output from them.

Was a good company with good benefits, but structure and policies changed so much since Silver Lake took it private.

Systems Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits and pay. Challenging work. Always learning new products and new release features. Decent work environment. Most low level managers had good people skills.

ConsRudderless upper management. Plans change every month and then revert to what they were under different name.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is changing focus from customer driven service company to drop ship software company. Losing focus on the bottom line, the customer.

Solid

Database Administrator (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFortune 500 firm with world wide exposure. Crosses many challenging disciplines.

ConsBureaucratic IT approach consistent with a public Fortune 500 company

Advice to Senior ManagementThe opportunity is to evolve IT processes to streamline them while maintaining appropriate SOX compliance.

Always on edge as company tries to offshore all jobs.

APS Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay with good time off.

ConsWaiting to be let go and expected to work 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople need stability and moral booster.

Great Pay but does not foster healthy work-home life balance

APS Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Coppell, TX

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary, telecommuting opportunities, not much else

ConsTrack record of doing mass layoffs and dismissals of older employees

Good products, good people, uncertain management

I have been working at Avaya full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDepending on the job role, Avaya can be very flexible as to working hours. Has some tremendous technology in voice, and especially in the data portfolio, but struggles to translate that into market share.

ConsVery poor marketing - for instance, does anyone know that Avaya did the complete voice and data infrastucture (including wireless LAN, video and security) for the last 3 Olympic games - Vancouver, London and Sochi? Should have been running commercials every night.

Short-term bottom-line driven
Require managers to mark a certain percentage of employees as low contributors, regardless of overall performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the low contributor rating - that's a relic of the 90's that most companies have abandoned.

Learn to market for mind-share - there's no reason any Avaya employee should get blank stares when they tell people who they work for, when everyone knows Cisco, a relative newcomer to the business by comparison.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!

Avaya Videos

Avaya – Why Work for Us?

About Avaya Avaya is a recognized innovator and leading global provider of real-time business collaboration and communications solutions. The company provides video and unified communications, contact centers, data… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avaya reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Avaya CEO Kevin Kennedy. All 847 reviews posted anonymously by Avaya employees.