Avaya

Software architect

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some individual contributors and a few managers care about the quality of the products and are able do do a good job.

Cons

Most of the people seem to be very low performers, a bit like a retirement home.
    The owners of the company seem to be shaping it for resale, not success.

If you are good, unfortunately you should look for another company. I don't think that there are enough people that care about the product to succeed.

Awesome

Current Employee - IT Security in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - IT Security in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Avaya full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Good Salary
    Nice managers
    Good Training
    good culture

Cons

no free coffee, no fixed raise, Bonus not sure

I had a good run there.

Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great place for the team I was on to function in the best interest of the customer. The technology was interesting enough to keep things interesting.

Cons

A lot of turnover in the management ranks made you feel like you could get whiplash at times with direction changing frequently.

Get rid of "pay for performance" sometimes called "stacking" in other organizations.

Named account manager

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good boss, good accounts, easy environment

Cons

No way to learn the product portfolio

Figure out what they want to be good at and than focus

2014 Rough Seas at this TELECOM company!

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional Product, Sales and SE group. Easy ability to talk with anyone in the company. Another pro valid only until Nov 2013: management would listen to you - now they dismiss you.

Cons

Any new Leadership who has joined since June 2013 thinks everyone who already at the company is of little or no value, Disrespectful culture, lots of back room gossip and no one will walk up to the person their gossiping about and ask for the truth (since the truth almost always lies somewhere in the middle). Middle management must follow Sr management direction or they are forced to leave.

The sales plan is in constant re-org like the sales people are wrong. Sr. Mgt: Did you ever stop to think we have NO OUTSIDE MARKETING? You cannot sell something our customers do not want - oh wait, you made us slides for that since Sales 101 does not work.

Avaya managers are arrogant morons

Current Employee - APS Field Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - APS Field Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great to be around the truly talented people at the bottom rungs of the corporation. They are the ones that are getting the work done in the trenches.

Cons

Avaya managers are ruining the company for the most part. They sit around playing with numbers. Sometimes I think the numbers they play with are the ones on a golf scorecard. In other words, their so-called work ethic is in the dumper. Avaya is a sinking ship that is too late for damage control measures. Hello Cisco!

Managers....get with the program. Go back to your roots. You should have nurtured the CS1000 customers you had in a better fashion than just leaving them out to dry in a barren wasteland. Too late to jump on the "cloud" bandwagon with all the other cloud companies. Cloud is nothing more than a marketing fantasy to try to prove that you're a big boy on the block. Sorry though...you're quarterly numbers prove that you are very anemic.

A lot left to be desired ....

Current Employee - Senior Manager Supply Chain in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Supply Chain in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary. You need/develop a strong personality, sharp negotiation skills that enable you to get things done in a very hostile and time pressured environment (if you cannot get things moving and you are in a senior level role with enough visibility, you generally leave in < 1 year ...). Not a place for faint-hearted by any means...

Cons

no personal growth, company future is uncertain, 80 hour work weeks often involving grunt-work because of a lack of good processes/data etc. Basically, lack of motivation to do work .. salary is good to start with, but once you are in .. salary hikes are pea-nuts and so are bonuses.

If you hire smart people but if you don't keep up with their expectations of development .. they will leave.

Subjective vs Objective Clash

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salaries are reasonable and the benefits are okay. You can get good training, if your coach will give the approval.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are few and far between. Information and knowledge of systems is sometimes kept like a secret known to only a favored few. And if you are not of the favored few, you can have a hard time. Jobs are sometimes given to favorites and you can be undermined by those you might disagree with. "The customer is always right" is the credo and mantra to a fault for some PMs and they will not hesitate to throw you under the the bus if the customer has any complaints regardless of the root cause of the problem.

Have a more objective and less subjective process for training and mentoring for career advancement. There are more valuable people at Avaya that could help the company if they were give the chance.

Research Analyst

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Avaya full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was given the starting salary that I requested. My immediate manager was very nice and knowledgeable and compassionate.

Cons

They haven't given raises in at least five years. They have a high deductible healthcare plan.

If you want to keep loyal employees, you have to give annual raises.

Limited growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Avaya full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Full benefits.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities Multiple rounds of downsizing.