Avaya

Updated August 16, 2014

2.9

Avaya President & CEO Kevin Kennedy
Kevin Kennedy

Pros
  • Not much to be positive about other than work/life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Have a Good Work Life Balance,Flexible and allows Work From Home, Technically Good Company (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • I was there 4 years and saw 4 different changes of senior management (in 44 reviews)

• Work / life balance is often discussed but not practiced (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a long term place to work ... going down the tubes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Pros

Excellent engineers and depending on the project interesting technology to work on. The only reason I have stayed for so long is the profound respect I have for my co-workers

Cons

With a few exceptions, and there are some, senior management could not care less about people, and sometimes one wonders if they care about the company long term . The decisions that are made are so short sighted that for 4 years we have been thinking that we are going to be sold next week. The focus is solely on what the numbers look like for the next quarter. If the numbers are not good people are laid off or buildings are sold to make them look better. Well, we have run out of buildings to sell, and as far as laying people off we are at the point where we do not have critical mass to get much done, so guess where sales are going to keep going ....
    In addition, the way people get laid off is chilling. You are in better shape if you sign up to a voluntary termination package. But if you are targeted and you did not know it, you simply disappear from one day to the next. No announcements to the rest of the people, or notice. You are simply gone.
    I have to mention how particularly clueless is our CEO. One day when he was not particularly happy about quality numbers, his comment to all employees was "Developers put bugs in the code, not management". If anything shows ignorance about software development, which nowadays is the bread and butter of the company, I don't know what does. Like unreasonable deadlines, understaffing and outsourcing do not have an impact on quality.

Just go away please ... you have done absolutely nothing for this company for 5 years. Can't you see that? Why don't you have a little bit of integrity, recognize your failure and let somebody else give it a try ... In any case you will not have this job in 2-3 years because there will be no job to have.

They speak of great culture and ethics, while working towards a slavery model.

Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

Avaya seems to be fairly competitive with wages. They have a lot of intelligent people and great technology.

Cons

Avaya culture has changed dramatically over the last decade. A company that once went out of its way to reward loyalty and recognize their employees, now moves forward with an attitude of "It is a privilege to work for us, if you don't like what we are doing, you are free to leave." They no longer care to have conversations about what is wrong with the infrastructure or how it can be streamlined. Instead it has become a dictatorship where they continue to "take from" rather than "give to" their employees. Just as Network World was announcing that Kevin Kennedy received a fivefold pay increase, Avaya announced (without warning) that they were taking away our accrued vacation model and going to a Discretionary Time Off (DTO) model. With the new model you have to negotiate with your manager to get time off and you do NOT accumulate vacation. If they feel that the "Needs of the Business" will allow for some time off, they may grant it to you if they deem you so worthy. (but one should not expect the same amount of time off that was previously earned through tenure.) So those that have been loyal for many years, essentially lose the additional time off that they earned through hard work. They also continue to shave away at the benefits and reduce the rewards. Then they spin the announcements in an attempt to make the changes appear attractive and appropriate. If you take the time to review their strategy and the changes they have made, it is very apparent that they are slowly working their employees towards a perfect slavery model where only the masters benefit. Avaya has had many internal problems for many years and they remain unresolved. If Avaya customers had any idea just how unstable and unreliable the tools are the we use to support them, they would find it hard to sleep at night. This was once a great place to work and I was proud to be Avayan. Unfortunately those days are gone and I no longer hold the pride I once enjoyed.

My team and I have gone to management many times to point out issues and help bring resolution. Unfortunately arrogance and ego prevents the upper management from having any 'take away' from the lower echelons. I have a book of documentation on issues and how they can be resolved. It has become apparent our attempts have been a waste so I will not waste more time in this venue.

Constantly changing, not in a good way, very short-term mentality, no ability to manage at the C level.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

Pros

Salary, benefits, telecommuting all make an attractive package,

Cons

No executive vision, constantly turnover in executive staff. Hardware and sales driven culture.

Embrace and manage services.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Few development opportunities remained in California

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Opportunity to learn/employ new technologies. Interesting/challenging work. Engaged first/second level managers and coworkers. In general, good inter-team cooperation. Worldwide, many very technically astute employees. Above average benefits.

Cons

Too much reliance on old-technology products, with new product development geared toward sustaining the golden goose. Management sometimes makes short-sighted decisions in quest to save a buck (e.g. fragmenting product development team to the extent that it is very difficult for globally dispersed teams to get anything done.).

Reject product management bloated product feature sets that kill time-to-market. Continue townhall meetings to keep employees informed.

Great opportunities to make a contribution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ

Pros

Significant opportunities to make contributions in cloud, video and contact center initiatives. Marketplace positioning improving. Great people to collaborate with

Cons

Culture change ongoing at Avaya as the company focuses on software and the cloud. Not everyone embracing the change at the same pace.

Great internship, but company morale is not encouraging

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Co-operative Colleagues, Good Salary, Fitness Studio

Cons

Low employee morale
    Everyone badmouths the company

Do something to create confidence in your employees

An amazing place to work / ahead of its time / very competitive wages - I loved it!

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Miami, FL

Pros

Virtual office for almost every job. Rewards are based on results and not on time spent working. Best in class technology and people practices, three weeks vacation from the start

Cons

Too many meetings, not enough time

Great place to work, good career so far.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Strong team to work with in my geography. Hard work yields results and recognition. Can do pretty much what you want to develop your career and experience. Good immediate leadership.

Cons

Frequent executive changes, product roadmap changes, product management changes. Back office processes need to be fixed, everyone should be working with the same goal in mind - customer satisfaction and getting things done. Services should worry about serving the customer and las about closing their tickets and incorrect records showing no support.

Fix internal processes if you really want to move this company forward. Develop easily digestible product roadmap and stick to it.

Great opportunity to manage working through chaos

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Benefits aren't all bad, given the flat organization, employees have fairly large levels of empowerment until it comes to getting approvals. Worked with any number of great people.

Cons

Executive focused on EBITDA as the sole guidepost when they have droves of talent leaving, need to fix issues like the lack of integration of the companies it has acquired and operational efficiencies.

Take an introspective look at the business and fix the issues, move out of denial and amazement for the lack of process.

Everyone out for themselves

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

Pros

Current team works closely together, with good support from first/second level management. I am empowered and expected to run with issues to resolution.

Cons

Dysfunctional organizations after years of cuts in employees and benefits. Crisis management is the new norm, as tier 1 through 4 support has been gutted, with overall skill levels dropping. Only through critical escalations do the right resources get applied...a vicious cycle as upskilling no longer exists.
    Accountability is almost non-existent, as everyone keeps head down for fear of showing up on the next FMP list.
    What has become plainly obvious is that long term employee investment has been sacrificed in order to support management levels above 40 (Dir). Senior executives have continued to enrich themselves through outrageous salaries and benefits while eliminating pay increases for the rest of the company. KJK himself now has a pay package exceeding $7M...well over 400% increase over the last year.

You are unwilling to consider true employment advice, opting instead for whatever business/financial event will guarantee your options. All employee broadcasts are a joke, as true sentiment is ignored.
    If there was a concern for long term viability, I'd have constructive advice to give.

Worked for Avaya? Contribute to the Community!